Print Thread
#55238 03/18/02 04:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just out of curiosity......how many rec. players ever actually get selected for ODP? Not club ball players, not classic team players, just pure rec. ball players.
I've seen A LOT of gifted players at ODP try outs, but I've seen the social class structure rear it's head as well. So, it got me to wondering how things panned out in the end.

#55239 03/19/02 04:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In NC, at least for the '88 ODP Team, I don't believe one Rec Player or Challenge Player made it through the initial tryouts (there were 2 or 3) to the final tryout (where last years pool players first attended).

IMHO, Rec players and Challenge players for that matter, cannot compete with Classic (Select) players much past the second year (U-12). Classic players practice 2 or 3x / week, vs. 1x/week for Rec. Classic players also play 2 or 3X the number of games against much better competition and the difference in play just gets bigger and bigger year after year.

#55240 03/21/02 02:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the reply and for your honest opinion. I think it will be the only one I get. I also had a feeling this was the way things panned out, as well as the prevailing attitude.
I don't know how rec teams operate in NC, can only speak of what I have seen here, and they must differ slightly. Most rec teams practice twice a week and some would do more except they are limited to a certain amount. Many teams go on to play in the regional and state tournaments, where the talent pool gets even more impressive.
I have watched classic, club and rec teams over the years and still enjoy most every match I get to see.
Thanks again for the reply.

"Every day the word 'gift' is used to define talent, ability, and performance. Being gifted has an even deeper meaning, a meaning that isn't always measured in points per game or win/loss records--it's measured by heart, effort, and desire." Alan Cohen

Link Copied to Clipboard