hat-trick

#55911 12/10/02 05:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congrats to Chapin Fire, however, before any one starts saying "State Champions", let's remember this was just the Classic Cup. The big boys (and girls) play this weekend for the Challenge Cup which is the "real" state championship as the winners represent SC at the USYSA Region III tournament in July 2003.

I believe the U18 Girls finalists are GFC 84 Black, Carolina FC United 84, St. Giles United Goalbusters, and Spartanburg.

With the favorite being GFC.

#55912 12/09/02 06:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At least there is a "real" state champ in club-unlike high school!

#55913 12/10/02 05:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
voice of reason2 Very true (Classic State Champions) [Smile] is that better Sir or Madam.
GFC and CFC are both good teams,and tell them from MOI. They can have a Soccer Scholarship on my College Div 1 team in CA, l@@King for Female players for 2003 [Big Grin]

#55914 12/10/02 02:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well "voice of reason" you are quite the cheering section aren't you? Do you always have that pin ready to burst any ones bubble or is it reserved for "special" occasions? I say congrats to all the teams that played this weekend in the Classic cup and big kudoos to the winners and runners up. There were a lot of thrilling games to watch and I enjoyed every one I took in.
Out of curiosity....does your stance on things mean that if you aren't the 4A champ in high school ball, you aren't one of the "Big boys/girls" and thus not really a state champ?? I mean lets do apples and apples here....level of competition right??
I saw no comments here from any classic cup players that deserved you putting a bunch of cold water on their accomplishments.

#55915 12/10/02 06:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Goalden, if I am not mistaken I congratulated the Chapin Fire for winning the Classic Cup.

An earlier post (which for some reason has been removed) recognized the Chapin Fire as the "state champions" and I was simply pointing out that that wasn't quite true. I don't think I "burst anyone's bubble" by pointing out that the USYSA acknowledges the winner of the Challenge Cup, and not the Classic Cup, as the state champion. Most players know this.

As far as high schools are concerned, your "apples to apples" logic about level of competition is slightly flawed. A club chooses the level at which it will play: Classic Cup or Challenge Cup. High schools are split into divisions, more or less, by size of student body, essentially being "told" to compete at a certain level. I have seen many 3A Champions that were better than their 4A counterparts (Riverside/Eastside from several years back were certainly both better than Hillcrest, in my opinion). Even Bishop England when they were playing 2A a few years ago were capable of competing with larger 3A and 4A state champs.

I don't think I was "throwing cold water" on anyone. But, if you do then that's your opinion, and stating opinions is the purpose of this site.

#55916 12/11/02 04:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congrats to Chapin Fire, however, before any one starts saying "State Champions", let's remember this was just the Classic Cup. The big boys (and girls) play this weekend for the Challenge Cup which is the "real" state championship as the winners represent SC at the USYSA Region III tournament in July 2003.

^^^^^Hmmmmm.....that's not throwing water on the flames??? You may be stating facts, but putting quotation marks around the word REAL still takes away from the pride the players should be allowed to enjoy. They get one weekend to bask in their victory, couldn't you just have left it at that and then move on to the winners in the challenge cup? It's an insult when you state things like the big boys and Real champs, as if the people who participated this past weekend gave anything less than their best. That's not giving objective opinions, its just simply mean....but hey, that's just MY opinion.
I look forward to the great competition ahead in the challenge cup and good luck to all.

#55917 12/11/02 05:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I dont think "voice of reason" meant to take anything away from the classic cup champs. But when a classic team decides to play in the challange cup they know that they are playing against the best that is out there in the state. The classic teams that decide to play this level train so hard and many times are playing in more then one league and going to tournaments in NC, GA etc. Its just another level in soccer.

#55918 12/11/02 11:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Goalden, obviously we disagree here. Perhaps my semantics could have been better, but then again, maybe not. But, I think we can drop this now as it isn't accomplishing much.

By the way does anyone know what happened to theat original post I was responding to?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard