Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
The Columbia Soccer Club (CSC) located northwest of Columbia, SC (encompassing Irmo, Ballentine, Chapin, Dutch Fork and other portions of Columbia) is continuing to grow in terms of players and facilities.

We are currently conducting a search for a Director of Coaching (DOC) to continue to grow our organization to compete at the highest level in South Carolina.

The successful candidate must possess strong organizational skills, enthusiasm to teach the game of soccer, have an ability to relate to young men and women, be personable and outgoing, and have demonstrated the talent to effectively work with others to realize the Club's full potential.

Currently, we have a facility with six fields with plans for four additional fields and fieldhouse facility.

DUTIES: Responsible for the player development, coaching recruitment, management and assignment of coaches for U10 - U18 men's and women's soccer program Conduct and assist with player development, coaching, summer camps and coaches clinics. Provide input and guidance to the club Board of Directors. This is a part-time position.

QUALIFICATIONS: All candidates must meet the following minimum license and experience requirements to be considered:

- USSF "B" or "C" license or equivalent

- Minimum three (3) years coaching experience, preferably at the college, high school or club level

- Experience in club or high school soccer program administration

- Effective interpersonal and public relations skills; ability to communicate persuasively

- Prior experience or responsibility for program administration, conducting various age group training sessions (i.e. Team Trainer) and have selected or formally evaluated players and trainers/coaches.

- Salary range: Commensurate with experience and workload.

Resumes must be received by March 21, 2003 for consideration. Interviews will be on-going but conclude by March 31, 2003.

Columbia Soccer Club
DOC Review
P.O. Box 2585
Irmo, SC 29063

Brace
Brace
Sounds like CSC is making a move in the right direction. What about NECSA, CSC and the smaller Columbia area clubs consolidating and forming a super club in the capital city?

What are your thoughts on this matter?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hammer

What are you guys trying to be like GFC? No way will the Cloumbia teams combine!!! The coaches in Cola are to cocky to let all the players come together. Also why would anyone want to work with Dennis Cook and Tripp Miller(necsa) on the same staff!!! The only decent coach they got at CSC is Eddie Crosby!!!!! Plus I wodld be shocked if the two big coaches at Congaree ( I think Heise and Wilkinson) would ever agree to that!!!!!!! Plus where would they play?

But PLEASE Hammer enlighten me!!!! Anyone else for that matter!!!! I would really like to hear what Eddie thinks!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shearer,
I do appreciate the comments and the questions you have posed. I believe the Columbia Soccer Club is taking all the necessary steps in becoming "the" premier club in Columbia as well as South Carolina. Yes, GFC and St. Giles, with Chris Barrett and Pierce Tormey, respectfully, have done and are continuing to do a great job. I also feel that there is an excellent talent base of coaches and players here in the Columbia area to challenge any club in SC as well as the southeast. CSC, NESCA, Carolina F.C., Lexington, CRSA, etc...all have excellent coaches and players on staff to challenge any team/club statewide or better. However, the two biggest problems I see is 1) the dilution of the talent pool due to # of clubs and 2) administration/ parents having problems with personalities, opinions, preferences, playing time, etc.the coaches not wanting or pushing for the merger, etc...is a ludicris statement. "We" all know that is what's best for the players and, after all, isn't that what it's all about anyway? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and view, but in order to put Columbia Area Soccer on the map permanently and professionally, some type of combination needs to happen. Whether it starts w/CSC-NECSA, CSC-Carolina F.C., whoever... but, I hope in time all of this will work itself out, but how long does/will it take before we get tired of seeing the upstate hoist title after title. We need to make a unified effort to consistantly challenge for state and regional superiority in club soccer. This is not only great for Columbia area soccer, but it also challenges players and coaches statewide to raise the level of soccer in South Carolina. I feel that if columbia soccer is getting better...it makes greenville soccer better and charleston soccer better, and vice versa.
Again, thank you for your comments and consideration regarding this matter! I look forward to tackling these challenges to establish Columbia Area Soccer as the states' elite! I want to wish everyone the best as we continue this spring club and high school season!

Yours in the Game,

Eddie Crosby

Brace
Brace
I think one thing that needs to be changed is the term "part-time position". If the Columbia area clubs, and specifically CSC, want to challenge for the titles Mr. Crosby talked about, they need to have a full-time DOC. I know for a fact that Mt. Pleasant's DOC is full-time, and I feel safe in saying that Pearse and the DOC at GFC are also full-time.

Asking anyone to hold a full-time AND narrow the gap between St. Giles/GFC and the rest of the S.C. clubs is asking far too much. In order to put in the effort and dedication required to close said gap, requires someone's full attention. Maybe CSC combining with one other club would allow those clubs to move from two part-time DOCs to one full-time DOC.

Brace
Brace
Are there any plans for a soccer park (facility) in the Columbia area? Whoever controls that would have an advantage over the others.

Goal
Goal
Ahhh, a topic I find revelling!!!

Finally a move in "perhaps" the right direction. However, I stress the importance of finding someone "outside the box" of the local club scene, especially with the two major factors (NECSA and CSC) in boys soccer and CFC for girls.

My son came along at the time there was the Midlands Association and since then has evolved into a number of organizations.

A full-time director sounds like an excellent idea and I hope that individual is as qualified off-the-field as he/she is on-the-field! It takes more than coaching to run a successful club and the abilities to delegate, organize, and relate to ALL parties is essential. I don't know if any of the candidates I've heard about fit that criteria.

But, I for one would love to see a "meshing" of the top talent in Columbia form this Association and that other "area" clubs still exist to serve as a feeder system and an outlet for those not interested in a conglomerate approach.

One more thing I would like to see addressed is a "joint council" of an organization like what has been proposed that would include representatives of local clubs to keep them involved and to hear their independent needs and interests. After all, if you're subtracting players from their talent pool, shouldn't the larger club be responsible for aiding these smaller organizations and helping them develop more players for the future?

Hammer is correct in the demands of a "soccer park". Whoever controls the land will control the landscape of Midlands area soccer. Right now, that leans to NECSA and CSC, but a central location is needed and those that have to go from Lake Murray to Blythewood are talking about a 1 1/2 hour drive and vice versa. Does anyone have an "in" as to where land can be purchased, leased, deeded, etc.?

Time is ticking, Columbia!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cola Fan-
I agree with you 100%!!! There is absolutly no reason to have 10 clubs in Columbia!!!! There should be one big club fit to compete at the highest level then the smaller ones to continue to help as "feeder" programs to the high schools!

I see this happening in NC and ATL and even in g'ville but not here in Cola!! The main reason it works in NC is that w/ CASL Duke head coach John Reanie has taken the position w/ the club as basically CEO!!! Now with someone like that running the ship how could you go wrong! I read an interviw once that Reanie(sp?) said that if wanted players from NC to help his team than he had better help produce them! He went on to say that enough kids in NC play soccer to help his teams compete in the ACC!!!! This has come true over the past few years w/ the emergence of WF, UNC and Duke as the new powers in the ACC. Now my question is does Columbia have somebody like that who could draw qualified coaches? Yes will they no! USC could directly benefit from this happening! Yet Berson and staff would rather go to Utah, New Mexico or some other god forsaken place to get players!!! Now don't get me wrong there won't be 18 D1 players in SC but you could produce at least 5/6 a year!!!!Just recently GFC produced two Clemson Signees(Forbes and Cooper)and will send Eggert to USC this fall!!!!
None of this will happen until the clubs agree to work together and take a big step forward to improove the level of soccer in Columbia!!! Good luck b/c it is going to be a ***** to some of these guys to go along with the plan!!!1

Brace
Brace
Shearer - I like the proposal and think you may have hit on something. Let USC, since they are in the middle of downtown Columbia, assume a developmental role with the clubs and invite each club to have a representative to voice their opinions on matters pertaining to soccer as a whole, but also on their regional/local/community level. The real trick though is for the egos at CSC/NECSA to shelve their mentality and let soccer move forward in the area without their "holding" their players out. CMSA (Columbia Metropolitan Soccer Association) attempted this in the early-mid 90s, but never got the backing/support from NECSA and it faded away. Columbia clubs are so fragmented now, that it will be hard to mend the separation -- but it can be done. Perhaps USC could offer use of their practice fields or the joint clubs could pool resources to develop a city-wide soccer facility to be used not only by the Premier club (city-wide club), but also the feeder/local clubs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YES YES YES!!! Just like CMSA! I think that now the other clubs(CSC,CRSA,CFC,andLEX) Could all do this w/out NECSA if they don't want to be a part of it!!! CMSA was a great idea ran by a bunch of idiots!! The problem with CMSA was that all the coaches(heise,wilkinson,chip,and others) were trying to establish their respective HS programs, so their focous was more towards HS than CMSA and the parents running was a joke!!!!
I do not think the practice are a facilities at USC are an option but getting their coaching staff invovled would be a starting point! The next problem that you would come across is finding coaches in the area that would work with them(USC). Berson as done what t. Bowden has done w/ the HS football coaches; exiled himself!!! But if all these components fall in line than you could have a great club in cola!

It could be Columbia United Soccer Assosciation(CUSA)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard