Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Nice posts. It's refreshing to see some quality soccer talk on this board. Keep the ideas and posts coming -- this is interesting reading!

As for the above post, yes I did work with CMSA in 1993 and 1994 and true I was in the midst of building the Brookland-Cayce soccer program from it's very foundation, but the intent of the association and those involved from an administrative standpoint were quite noble, but it just could not maintain momentum from a facilities standpoint and ultimately lost steam.

I am a staunch supporter of not alienating or abandoning the local/community clubs as my primary goal in building the BCHS program was the formation of a club in "our area" to offer quality soccer without having to drive to Irmo or Northeast for training and play. This formula worked for us in Cayce-West Columbia and the downtown area (Dreher/Flora/Cardinal Newman/Heathwood Hall/Hammond, etc.) Now we are trying to re-establish that base and extend further.

With this stated however, I would certainly support a QUALITY Columbia club that emphasized training the top-tier of players and let the local clubs keep their average players to work with. In reality, you'd look at having probably one elite team per Columbia in each age group and the ones that didn't make that particular team could continue work with their current clubs or such.

I think a super-club would have to be very careful to work with (not alienate or supercede) the established local clubs to gain favor in the area, but it would certainly be worth trying and promoting.

I'd like to hear some other area coaches take on this thought?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think people fail to realize that USC over the years has tried to help all the clubs. Golan, Rowell, Allison, Adair and Heiklia to some extent all went to the directors of coaching of all clubs and offered their services of training teams (not sure if McDonough ever did). The problem was that most of the clubs couldn't establish a regular training rhythum. Plus, most of the upper level players play during the college season, making the irregular training patterns that much more difficult.

The USSF has attempted before to establish regional training centers (similar to the system in France). Berson, Adair and Lundy were all involved in those discussions but who knows where that idea has gone. ODP in this state is generally a nightmare. I know that Golan tried for three or four years to take teams in the state, but couldn't cut throught the SC BS to make it work.

Berson and Golan had discussions with Irmo, NECSA and Congaree about forming some elite teams, but too many egos got in the way. Too much money at stake. I wish we could keep the best players here and attract players from across the state to get top teams in Columbia, maybe one day we can. But some people are going to have to change their views.

As for USC's practice fields as a site...That will never happen due to liability concerns by the University. Berson's son's team couldn't practice there for a long time.

Maybe someone should look at the former Henly Homes site and develop some fields or go in with Richland One and develop a training park. With the new Dreher coming on line, they will need some playing facilities.

Good discussion.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is this info true? Will someone with ties to CSC and CRSA please comment about USC trying to help create a top club in Columbia!!! I know that Berson coached a team at CRSA for one year before jumping ship to let NECSA do everything for him but where there any other conversations about a club!? PLus offering a trainer once a week for one team does not count!!!!

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
I do know for a fact that Hekkila trains all goalkeepers at NECSA each week. I say all goalkeepers, but actually i guess it is whoever shows up. As far as Berson and Golan having talks with the 3 main clubs of forming elite teams, i have not heard that. it may be true or it may not be true. I however do not see the need for those people to get involved at great depths for running a new club. They would be helpful in getting the various parties together and their opinions should/would be highly regarded. However, continued involvement in the club is not necessary. To form a club like that, the clubs are going to have to show the initiative. Bersons time during the fall is severely limited because he must pour his time into the college program. Other large clubs, such as GFC and Giles, have little or no involvement from college coaches. While Chris Barrett and others have been college coaches, they no longer are. To produce an elite club, the initiative must be shown from NECSA and CSC administrators and coaches. Until then, each club may have a team or two challenge for a state title here and there, but the upstate will continue to dominate the club scene.

Anyways, back to the original topic. Has anyone been interviewed or even hired yet?

Goal
Goal
Has this position been filled yet? I've heard some rumblings that there is some discord amongst the selection. Will it be someone with ties to CSC or is it going to be someone from outside the "family"? Inquiring minds want to know!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who's it going to be? I hear Eddie might be leaving? Any truth to this rumor? I sure hope CSC doesn't bring in some new schmuck to run things!!!!!!! Just wondering.Who else besides Eddie is wnating this job?

Shearer

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm new to this forum. Interesting conversation. Thought I'd share a couple of thoughts.

1. With respect to real estate/fields. About 18 months ago, when the "Green Diamond" idea was still in play, a few of us met with Mayor Bob to see if we could get the folks from the beach to carve-out some of the Green Diamond land for soccer fields. Bob thought it would be possible, given the developer's desire for good PR. Of course, the project is going nowhere, so neither is the field idea.

It is my understanding that SCYSA would like to build a centrally located facility. I think they have some funds set aside for this. However, finding the right site and raising the additional funds has been a problem.

2. Consolidation. I understand that many people firmly believe consolidation would be best for the players (rasing the level of play, etc.). I believe a similar number of people are firmly against consolidation.

A couple of years ago, when the NECSA board considered a proposed merger with Carolina FC, we polled the families of our girls teams (since they would be the people most effected by the decision). The returned questionaires were split almost evenly for and against. The board was also split on the decision. In the end, we decided not to merge.

Personally, I think the CONCEPT of a merger is great. However, we always tend to get bogged-down in the details. A significant number of people do not want to haul their kids to Ballentine or to the Northeast, etc. For many families, the added stress of the extra driving outweighs the perceived benefits.

Also, I'm not convinced that multiple clubs is a significant barrier to the formation of higher-level teams. The players who are really, really serious will migrate to the best teams, regardless of the club. I know we have girls who commute to Greenville. In my years with NECSA, I have seen many kids who started with the CSC club come over to play on a NECSA team and many kids who started with NECSA go over to play at CSC or Congaree or whereever. Example--The Storm from two years ago had players from NECSA, CSC, Congaree, Sumter, Aiken and Florence. Over the years, those boys were coached by Dennis Cook and by Tripp Miller. They won their age group in the Fall of 2001 Challenge Cup.

If a club builds the more competative team--if the players value that experience over the added driving time, etc, they will come.

I'm looking forward to future messages and replies.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good comments and thoughts about possible steps to consider merger. The Cola. area needs to make the decision to move on this now. Look at the current standings for the state challenge league. Of the eight age divisions, either a St. Giles or GFC team is in first. St. Giles and GFC teams also usually qualify teams for the premier league. This may change a little in the fall when all ages are playing, but still, those two associations clearly dominate the upper levels of SC soccer. It will always be that way until 2 or 3 Cola associations decide to merge. Local clubs can still be in place and playing every year in the classic league and maybe competing at the challenge level as well. Travel would not be near as bad as those that now travel to Greenville 2-3 times a week. Who will merge??? NECSA will never consider a merger because of its social and political environment, and the unwillingness to give up a little power. The best possible combination would be CSC, CRSA and Lexington Soccer Clubs. CSC and LSC have the fields to handle such a merger. There are a lot of people who could contribute to such a merger, starting with Kevin Heise's organizational skills. Has anyone ever figured out how BC and past CRSA teams have had such great successes in the small community of Cayce-West Columbia??? And Dennis Cook for years has put together teams that consistently beat the brains out of area competition. Put the right people together and it will work in Cola. Lets not wait til the growing soccer powers, Aiken and Charleston, have their own respective mergers and leave us in the dust...... er......I mean... mud.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go Go Goooal:

No argument with most of what you said in your last posting, except:

It is not true that NECSA will not consider a merger. NECSA has seriously discussed mergers in the past and will talk to anyone, anywhere about a merger.

Decisions not to merge in the past have not been based on the desire to maintain power. These decisions have been made based on what we thought was best for the children who play soccer in our club.

People may disagree with our decisions, but they should not question our motives. If a merger makes sense for our kids, we'll vote "yes".

Personally (not speaking for others on the board), I would love to turn things over to a merged board. Maybe I could get my nights and weekends back and not have to put up with all of the *****ing and other problems.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its good to here that NECSA may be open to merger consideration. It really is the best way to proceed so the Cola. area can become consistently competitive, and not just produce a great team like the Storm every few years. With a merger there will be state-wide competitive teams in every age category. But the biggest problem will be in getting started, and creating valid discussions among the associations- LSC,CRSA,NECSA & CSC. With such a merger there would be almost 20 fields available for play. A two tier configuration of challenge and classic teams would work initially. Then as the challenge teams succeed, you may have several teams qualify for the U-15 and up premier league for fall play. The classic teams will receive exceptional instruction and coaching and probably still have that sense of community....meaning that most players who make classic teams will probably chose to play in their own area and not have to travel from say Irmo to NECSA to practice. Yet, the challenge and premier players would not mind the relative short trips from NECSA to Irmo for practice. As I stated in an earlier post, this would be much better than traveling to Greenville 2-3 times a week for practice, as many from Cola. players now do. Yet, I fear that the associations will be reluctant for 2 reasons: 1)Don't want to give up some power and sense of community 2) Too much work to get the merger started and functioning. But,if you are passionate about the game of soccer and really want to see Cola soccer succeed consistently on the state and hopefully regional level, then you put aside egos and the 'my club' attitude. There are plenty of talented people in this community who can get it done....Let us be determined to begin the process............

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard