Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Folks:

Not sure how to say this any plainer than I already have.

Tripp is not NECSA. He is our Director of Coaching, but basically, he is paid staff and not the board. If you are talking to him about a merger (which is a board-level decision) you are talking to the wrong person.

I will be glad to meet with any group to discuss mergers and I can promise that our board will give such an idea serious consideration.

When you are ready to talk, you can call me at 771-8943 (work); 736-1091 (home) or 238-0406 (cell).

That's it for me on this thread. When you are serious about having a conversation, give me a call.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
I have read with interest the comments made by several of you in this thread. This is good discussion and exactly what this message board should be used.

I was always intrigued (as a coach) with the old CMSA - Columbia Metropolitan Soccer Association - that tried to attract the top-tier players in the Midlands, but still offered the local clubs there place.

The problem CMSA ran into, in my opinion, was non-cooperative effort by some clubs to "release" their top players, thus decimating their local club teams.

In my personal instance, I coached a U16 (1993) and U17 (1994) team for CMSA that was comprised of kids from the following high schools: Ben Lippen, Brookland-Cayce, Cardinal Newman, Dreher, Irmo, Lexington, Spring Valley, and even one home-schooled kid. It was truly a "Columbia" team and they took great pride in representing the city/area.

As for the personal gain at the high school level, the two players from B-C that played on this team helped elevate the prep players come spring -- drawing on their advanced experiences and talents. It really was a win-win situation.

At the same time I served as Director of Coaches for the Congaree Rapid Soccer Association and also co-coached a team there during my tenure at CMSA, which truly encompassed the goal of making sure top players played with top players, but even my "high school" core guys were getting good training and competing on a level of their capability (i.e. Sandlapper League).

The largest obstacle that faced CMSA however, was field availability. We trained at Medowlake Park for the most part and that was really the only field we had access to as the other clubs squeezed CMSA out.

It can work in Columbia, but the powers-to-be have to work out the parameters to make it happen. I'm willing to represent CRSA if anyone wants to meet to discuss.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mr P
That was my point! I know from the past that YOU are willing, but the release of player is what is the point!!! And who controlls the players? Tripp!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
HEY GUYS!!! I smell progress, and that this discussion is going in the right direction! Mr P. is offering genuine discussion and proposals that never have been considered from NECSA. Sounds like there are similar discussion proposals from CRSA. Lets act on that and not continue to criticize Tripp or his coaching philosophy. Give him his due, he is a great coach and motivator and could possibly help produce some more state and possibly regional championships after the merger. With Kevin, Dennis and Tripp as the lead coaching staff, many things are possible. And I am sure they are ready, after so many dedicated years with their organizations, to share in a combined effort. There would be less hassle and the work would be spread around, guys!! Give it some thought! We must all now put aside our respective individual issues and personalities and think only of the possibilities and results of a merger. Lets all quit talking in the past and move forward with the necessary contacts to sit down and talk real issues. It is only for the good of Cola area soccer that this is even being discussed. You can be a part of a strong soccer program, and not just have a few strong teams here and there. And you can be pretty certain that the players will stay with such an organization and not want to leave for Greenville or where ever.'If you build it (the merger), they will come.....' It can not be, and should not be about personalities and who wants what from a merger. Do you really want it to happen??? What are some thoughts from CSC or LSC folks??? Are they even interested??? If not, then maybe we should consider a CRSA/NECSA merger???

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Merger Discussion fizzles yet again..............?? NO WAY! Don't let it just be a discussion only....
There is always great and interesting discussion on this topic, but can it become real??? It is viable and doable Columbia soccer fans!!! But, are we too lazy, too complacent, too satisfied, to bring it to fruition?? Can anyone think of reasons it can't work? I believe the benefits far out way any negative issues. I see no negative issues, except for the impetus to get it going........and possibly the personalities involved....but I think all parties have mellowed somewhat in their advancing soccer years and really want to see something good for soccer in Cola. CRSA cannot continue to survive with 2 or 3 teams each season........ CSC could use the extra manpower to spread all the work around in a central club, and it needs more female teams to be truly representative of the area...... NECSA needs more field access....... LSC players could benefit from the much-needed talent pool, and those Lexington guys and girls would finally be able to play for exceptional teams. Combining all these efforts of these 4 clubs into one would produce an association which would provide exceptional instruction, training, coaching and competition for all age and gender groups in the Cola. area. It would be similar to CASL(Capital Area Soccer League) in Raleigh, another area soccer program in a state capital. See how they do it:
http://www.caslnc.com
We must think big in Cola., and not continue to think and be small, comfortable, satisfactory clubs in Cola. Because if we think that way, we always be just that - satisfactory.
***C S A*** (Columbia Soccer Association)
Make it Happen!!!!!!!!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've been hoping that we could form a few super teams for the Midlands for several yrs.now.CSC almost made it last Fall with their U-15 guys and it's the only way to compete with Greevville.With some Rapid U-16/CSC/NECSA we'd no doubt have a state champ.I believe a U-18 boys could also give GFC Black all they could handle too.But who would be the coaches? And tryouts are just a mo.away----

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Even if clubs didn't merge, why can't the boards or doc's get together and decide which club will form what select group. In other words, all clubs keep their normal teams but have dibs on one super team in one age division (and promise to not prevent top players from trying out at other clubs for the super team).

For example, Congaree gets the top U-14 players from the area, CSC gets the top U-15's, NECSA U-16's, LSC U-17's and 18's up for grabs. Then they rotate (stay within club) or if you get a highly qualified coach, the coach moves with the team. The other clubs could still have U-14's, but the theoretical top 16 players play for Congaree.

Just an idea at a temporary solution.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dreablank
Good Idea BUT do you really think NECSA and CSC will give up the talent? NO WAY!!!!!!!! They want the "other" clubs to merge with them! What should happen is that they DOC should sit down and talk about getting the best players together! Make one club to be the top club in Cola and the other clubs ie crsa lsc csc and necsa and the "b teams" but that's a dream! Note the grennvile has two big clubs and cola has five!!!!!!!1

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No, I don't think clubs will be willing to let go of top players, but they might be more willing to do that than totally scrap the income they're receiving by merging.

People can say what they want, but we all know it's a money driven buisness. The clubs all have a fairly steady income and don't want to give any of it up.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When and where are the tryouts & who will coach the age brackets.Try-outs for most Cola. Clubs are May 18 & 20.Try-outs & organization must be B4 then----Talk's Cheap -Who's gonna take charge of this or is Greenville gonna continue do dominate because they do have organization!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard