Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
The Columbia Soccer Club (CSC) located northwest of Columbia, SC (encompassing Irmo, Ballentine, Chapin, Dutch Fork and other portions of Columbia) is continuing to grow in terms of players and facilities.

We are currently conducting a search for a Director of Coaching (DOC) to continue to grow our organization to compete at the highest level in South Carolina.

The successful candidate must possess strong organizational skills, enthusiasm to teach the game of soccer, have an ability to relate to young men and women, be personable and outgoing, and have demonstrated the talent to effectively work with others to realize the Club's full potential.

Currently, we have a facility with six fields with plans for four additional fields and fieldhouse facility.

DUTIES: Responsible for the player development, coaching recruitment, management and assignment of coaches for U10 - U18 men's and women's soccer program Conduct and assist with player development, coaching, summer camps and coaches clinics. Provide input and guidance to the club Board of Directors. This is a part-time position.

QUALIFICATIONS: All candidates must meet the following minimum license and experience requirements to be considered:

- USSF "B" or "C" license or equivalent

- Minimum three (3) years coaching experience, preferably at the college, high school or club level

- Experience in club or high school soccer program administration

- Effective interpersonal and public relations skills; ability to communicate persuasively

- Prior experience or responsibility for program administration, conducting various age group training sessions (i.e. Team Trainer) and have selected or formally evaluated players and trainers/coaches.

- Salary range: Commensurate with experience and workload.

Resumes must be received by March 21, 2003 for consideration. Interviews will be on-going but conclude by March 31, 2003.

Columbia Soccer Club
DOC Review
P.O. Box 2585
Irmo, SC 29063

Brace
Brace
Sounds like CSC is making a move in the right direction. What about NECSA, CSC and the smaller Columbia area clubs consolidating and forming a super club in the capital city?

What are your thoughts on this matter?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hammer

What are you guys trying to be like GFC? No way will the Cloumbia teams combine!!! The coaches in Cola are to cocky to let all the players come together. Also why would anyone want to work with Dennis Cook and Tripp Miller(necsa) on the same staff!!! The only decent coach they got at CSC is Eddie Crosby!!!!! Plus I wodld be shocked if the two big coaches at Congaree ( I think Heise and Wilkinson) would ever agree to that!!!!!!! Plus where would they play?

But PLEASE Hammer enlighten me!!!! Anyone else for that matter!!!! I would really like to hear what Eddie thinks!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shearer,
I do appreciate the comments and the questions you have posed. I believe the Columbia Soccer Club is taking all the necessary steps in becoming "the" premier club in Columbia as well as South Carolina. Yes, GFC and St. Giles, with Chris Barrett and Pierce Tormey, respectfully, have done and are continuing to do a great job. I also feel that there is an excellent talent base of coaches and players here in the Columbia area to challenge any club in SC as well as the southeast. CSC, NESCA, Carolina F.C., Lexington, CRSA, etc...all have excellent coaches and players on staff to challenge any team/club statewide or better. However, the two biggest problems I see is 1) the dilution of the talent pool due to # of clubs and 2) administration/ parents having problems with personalities, opinions, preferences, playing time, etc.the coaches not wanting or pushing for the merger, etc...is a ludicris statement. "We" all know that is what's best for the players and, after all, isn't that what it's all about anyway? Everyone is entitled to their opinion and view, but in order to put Columbia Area Soccer on the map permanently and professionally, some type of combination needs to happen. Whether it starts w/CSC-NECSA, CSC-Carolina F.C., whoever... but, I hope in time all of this will work itself out, but how long does/will it take before we get tired of seeing the upstate hoist title after title. We need to make a unified effort to consistantly challenge for state and regional superiority in club soccer. This is not only great for Columbia area soccer, but it also challenges players and coaches statewide to raise the level of soccer in South Carolina. I feel that if columbia soccer is getting better...it makes greenville soccer better and charleston soccer better, and vice versa.
Again, thank you for your comments and consideration regarding this matter! I look forward to tackling these challenges to establish Columbia Area Soccer as the states' elite! I want to wish everyone the best as we continue this spring club and high school season!

Yours in the Game,

Eddie Crosby

Brace
Brace
I think one thing that needs to be changed is the term "part-time position". If the Columbia area clubs, and specifically CSC, want to challenge for the titles Mr. Crosby talked about, they need to have a full-time DOC. I know for a fact that Mt. Pleasant's DOC is full-time, and I feel safe in saying that Pearse and the DOC at GFC are also full-time.

Asking anyone to hold a full-time AND narrow the gap between St. Giles/GFC and the rest of the S.C. clubs is asking far too much. In order to put in the effort and dedication required to close said gap, requires someone's full attention. Maybe CSC combining with one other club would allow those clubs to move from two part-time DOCs to one full-time DOC.

Brace
Brace
Are there any plans for a soccer park (facility) in the Columbia area? Whoever controls that would have an advantage over the others.

Goal
Goal
Ahhh, a topic I find revelling!!!

Finally a move in "perhaps" the right direction. However, I stress the importance of finding someone "outside the box" of the local club scene, especially with the two major factors (NECSA and CSC) in boys soccer and CFC for girls.

My son came along at the time there was the Midlands Association and since then has evolved into a number of organizations.

A full-time director sounds like an excellent idea and I hope that individual is as qualified off-the-field as he/she is on-the-field! It takes more than coaching to run a successful club and the abilities to delegate, organize, and relate to ALL parties is essential. I don't know if any of the candidates I've heard about fit that criteria.

But, I for one would love to see a "meshing" of the top talent in Columbia form this Association and that other "area" clubs still exist to serve as a feeder system and an outlet for those not interested in a conglomerate approach.

One more thing I would like to see addressed is a "joint council" of an organization like what has been proposed that would include representatives of local clubs to keep them involved and to hear their independent needs and interests. After all, if you're subtracting players from their talent pool, shouldn't the larger club be responsible for aiding these smaller organizations and helping them develop more players for the future?

Hammer is correct in the demands of a "soccer park". Whoever controls the land will control the landscape of Midlands area soccer. Right now, that leans to NECSA and CSC, but a central location is needed and those that have to go from Lake Murray to Blythewood are talking about a 1 1/2 hour drive and vice versa. Does anyone have an "in" as to where land can be purchased, leased, deeded, etc.?

Time is ticking, Columbia!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cola Fan-
I agree with you 100%!!! There is absolutly no reason to have 10 clubs in Columbia!!!! There should be one big club fit to compete at the highest level then the smaller ones to continue to help as "feeder" programs to the high schools!

I see this happening in NC and ATL and even in g'ville but not here in Cola!! The main reason it works in NC is that w/ CASL Duke head coach John Reanie has taken the position w/ the club as basically CEO!!! Now with someone like that running the ship how could you go wrong! I read an interviw once that Reanie(sp?) said that if wanted players from NC to help his team than he had better help produce them! He went on to say that enough kids in NC play soccer to help his teams compete in the ACC!!!! This has come true over the past few years w/ the emergence of WF, UNC and Duke as the new powers in the ACC. Now my question is does Columbia have somebody like that who could draw qualified coaches? Yes will they no! USC could directly benefit from this happening! Yet Berson and staff would rather go to Utah, New Mexico or some other god forsaken place to get players!!! Now don't get me wrong there won't be 18 D1 players in SC but you could produce at least 5/6 a year!!!!Just recently GFC produced two Clemson Signees(Forbes and Cooper)and will send Eggert to USC this fall!!!!
None of this will happen until the clubs agree to work together and take a big step forward to improove the level of soccer in Columbia!!! Good luck b/c it is going to be a ***** to some of these guys to go along with the plan!!!1

Brace
Brace
Shearer - I like the proposal and think you may have hit on something. Let USC, since they are in the middle of downtown Columbia, assume a developmental role with the clubs and invite each club to have a representative to voice their opinions on matters pertaining to soccer as a whole, but also on their regional/local/community level. The real trick though is for the egos at CSC/NECSA to shelve their mentality and let soccer move forward in the area without their "holding" their players out. CMSA (Columbia Metropolitan Soccer Association) attempted this in the early-mid 90s, but never got the backing/support from NECSA and it faded away. Columbia clubs are so fragmented now, that it will be hard to mend the separation -- but it can be done. Perhaps USC could offer use of their practice fields or the joint clubs could pool resources to develop a city-wide soccer facility to be used not only by the Premier club (city-wide club), but also the feeder/local clubs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YES YES YES!!! Just like CMSA! I think that now the other clubs(CSC,CRSA,CFC,andLEX) Could all do this w/out NECSA if they don't want to be a part of it!!! CMSA was a great idea ran by a bunch of idiots!! The problem with CMSA was that all the coaches(heise,wilkinson,chip,and others) were trying to establish their respective HS programs, so their focous was more towards HS than CMSA and the parents running was a joke!!!!
I do not think the practice are a facilities at USC are an option but getting their coaching staff invovled would be a starting point! The next problem that you would come across is finding coaches in the area that would work with them(USC). Berson as done what t. Bowden has done w/ the HS football coaches; exiled himself!!! But if all these components fall in line than you could have a great club in cola!

It could be Columbia United Soccer Assosciation(CUSA)

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Nice posts. It's refreshing to see some quality soccer talk on this board. Keep the ideas and posts coming -- this is interesting reading!

As for the above post, yes I did work with CMSA in 1993 and 1994 and true I was in the midst of building the Brookland-Cayce soccer program from it's very foundation, but the intent of the association and those involved from an administrative standpoint were quite noble, but it just could not maintain momentum from a facilities standpoint and ultimately lost steam.

I am a staunch supporter of not alienating or abandoning the local/community clubs as my primary goal in building the BCHS program was the formation of a club in "our area" to offer quality soccer without having to drive to Irmo or Northeast for training and play. This formula worked for us in Cayce-West Columbia and the downtown area (Dreher/Flora/Cardinal Newman/Heathwood Hall/Hammond, etc.) Now we are trying to re-establish that base and extend further.

With this stated however, I would certainly support a QUALITY Columbia club that emphasized training the top-tier of players and let the local clubs keep their average players to work with. In reality, you'd look at having probably one elite team per Columbia in each age group and the ones that didn't make that particular team could continue work with their current clubs or such.

I think a super-club would have to be very careful to work with (not alienate or supercede) the established local clubs to gain favor in the area, but it would certainly be worth trying and promoting.

I'd like to hear some other area coaches take on this thought?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think people fail to realize that USC over the years has tried to help all the clubs. Golan, Rowell, Allison, Adair and Heiklia to some extent all went to the directors of coaching of all clubs and offered their services of training teams (not sure if McDonough ever did). The problem was that most of the clubs couldn't establish a regular training rhythum. Plus, most of the upper level players play during the college season, making the irregular training patterns that much more difficult.

The USSF has attempted before to establish regional training centers (similar to the system in France). Berson, Adair and Lundy were all involved in those discussions but who knows where that idea has gone. ODP in this state is generally a nightmare. I know that Golan tried for three or four years to take teams in the state, but couldn't cut throught the SC BS to make it work.

Berson and Golan had discussions with Irmo, NECSA and Congaree about forming some elite teams, but too many egos got in the way. Too much money at stake. I wish we could keep the best players here and attract players from across the state to get top teams in Columbia, maybe one day we can. But some people are going to have to change their views.

As for USC's practice fields as a site...That will never happen due to liability concerns by the University. Berson's son's team couldn't practice there for a long time.

Maybe someone should look at the former Henly Homes site and develop some fields or go in with Richland One and develop a training park. With the new Dreher coming on line, they will need some playing facilities.

Good discussion.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is this info true? Will someone with ties to CSC and CRSA please comment about USC trying to help create a top club in Columbia!!! I know that Berson coached a team at CRSA for one year before jumping ship to let NECSA do everything for him but where there any other conversations about a club!? PLus offering a trainer once a week for one team does not count!!!!

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
I do know for a fact that Hekkila trains all goalkeepers at NECSA each week. I say all goalkeepers, but actually i guess it is whoever shows up. As far as Berson and Golan having talks with the 3 main clubs of forming elite teams, i have not heard that. it may be true or it may not be true. I however do not see the need for those people to get involved at great depths for running a new club. They would be helpful in getting the various parties together and their opinions should/would be highly regarded. However, continued involvement in the club is not necessary. To form a club like that, the clubs are going to have to show the initiative. Bersons time during the fall is severely limited because he must pour his time into the college program. Other large clubs, such as GFC and Giles, have little or no involvement from college coaches. While Chris Barrett and others have been college coaches, they no longer are. To produce an elite club, the initiative must be shown from NECSA and CSC administrators and coaches. Until then, each club may have a team or two challenge for a state title here and there, but the upstate will continue to dominate the club scene.

Anyways, back to the original topic. Has anyone been interviewed or even hired yet?

Goal
Goal
Has this position been filled yet? I've heard some rumblings that there is some discord amongst the selection. Will it be someone with ties to CSC or is it going to be someone from outside the "family"? Inquiring minds want to know!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who's it going to be? I hear Eddie might be leaving? Any truth to this rumor? I sure hope CSC doesn't bring in some new schmuck to run things!!!!!!! Just wondering.Who else besides Eddie is wnating this job?

Shearer

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm new to this forum. Interesting conversation. Thought I'd share a couple of thoughts.

1. With respect to real estate/fields. About 18 months ago, when the "Green Diamond" idea was still in play, a few of us met with Mayor Bob to see if we could get the folks from the beach to carve-out some of the Green Diamond land for soccer fields. Bob thought it would be possible, given the developer's desire for good PR. Of course, the project is going nowhere, so neither is the field idea.

It is my understanding that SCYSA would like to build a centrally located facility. I think they have some funds set aside for this. However, finding the right site and raising the additional funds has been a problem.

2. Consolidation. I understand that many people firmly believe consolidation would be best for the players (rasing the level of play, etc.). I believe a similar number of people are firmly against consolidation.

A couple of years ago, when the NECSA board considered a proposed merger with Carolina FC, we polled the families of our girls teams (since they would be the people most effected by the decision). The returned questionaires were split almost evenly for and against. The board was also split on the decision. In the end, we decided not to merge.

Personally, I think the CONCEPT of a merger is great. However, we always tend to get bogged-down in the details. A significant number of people do not want to haul their kids to Ballentine or to the Northeast, etc. For many families, the added stress of the extra driving outweighs the perceived benefits.

Also, I'm not convinced that multiple clubs is a significant barrier to the formation of higher-level teams. The players who are really, really serious will migrate to the best teams, regardless of the club. I know we have girls who commute to Greenville. In my years with NECSA, I have seen many kids who started with the CSC club come over to play on a NECSA team and many kids who started with NECSA go over to play at CSC or Congaree or whereever. Example--The Storm from two years ago had players from NECSA, CSC, Congaree, Sumter, Aiken and Florence. Over the years, those boys were coached by Dennis Cook and by Tripp Miller. They won their age group in the Fall of 2001 Challenge Cup.

If a club builds the more competative team--if the players value that experience over the added driving time, etc, they will come.

I'm looking forward to future messages and replies.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good comments and thoughts about possible steps to consider merger. The Cola. area needs to make the decision to move on this now. Look at the current standings for the state challenge league. Of the eight age divisions, either a St. Giles or GFC team is in first. St. Giles and GFC teams also usually qualify teams for the premier league. This may change a little in the fall when all ages are playing, but still, those two associations clearly dominate the upper levels of SC soccer. It will always be that way until 2 or 3 Cola associations decide to merge. Local clubs can still be in place and playing every year in the classic league and maybe competing at the challenge level as well. Travel would not be near as bad as those that now travel to Greenville 2-3 times a week. Who will merge??? NECSA will never consider a merger because of its social and political environment, and the unwillingness to give up a little power. The best possible combination would be CSC, CRSA and Lexington Soccer Clubs. CSC and LSC have the fields to handle such a merger. There are a lot of people who could contribute to such a merger, starting with Kevin Heise's organizational skills. Has anyone ever figured out how BC and past CRSA teams have had such great successes in the small community of Cayce-West Columbia??? And Dennis Cook for years has put together teams that consistently beat the brains out of area competition. Put the right people together and it will work in Cola. Lets not wait til the growing soccer powers, Aiken and Charleston, have their own respective mergers and leave us in the dust...... er......I mean... mud.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go Go Goooal:

No argument with most of what you said in your last posting, except:

It is not true that NECSA will not consider a merger. NECSA has seriously discussed mergers in the past and will talk to anyone, anywhere about a merger.

Decisions not to merge in the past have not been based on the desire to maintain power. These decisions have been made based on what we thought was best for the children who play soccer in our club.

People may disagree with our decisions, but they should not question our motives. If a merger makes sense for our kids, we'll vote "yes".

Personally (not speaking for others on the board), I would love to turn things over to a merged board. Maybe I could get my nights and weekends back and not have to put up with all of the *****ing and other problems.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its good to here that NECSA may be open to merger consideration. It really is the best way to proceed so the Cola. area can become consistently competitive, and not just produce a great team like the Storm every few years. With a merger there will be state-wide competitive teams in every age category. But the biggest problem will be in getting started, and creating valid discussions among the associations- LSC,CRSA,NECSA & CSC. With such a merger there would be almost 20 fields available for play. A two tier configuration of challenge and classic teams would work initially. Then as the challenge teams succeed, you may have several teams qualify for the U-15 and up premier league for fall play. The classic teams will receive exceptional instruction and coaching and probably still have that sense of community....meaning that most players who make classic teams will probably chose to play in their own area and not have to travel from say Irmo to NECSA to practice. Yet, the challenge and premier players would not mind the relative short trips from NECSA to Irmo for practice. As I stated in an earlier post, this would be much better than traveling to Greenville 2-3 times a week for practice, as many from Cola. players now do. Yet, I fear that the associations will be reluctant for 2 reasons: 1)Don't want to give up some power and sense of community 2) Too much work to get the merger started and functioning. But,if you are passionate about the game of soccer and really want to see Cola soccer succeed consistently on the state and hopefully regional level, then you put aside egos and the 'my club' attitude. There are plenty of talented people in this community who can get it done....Let us be determined to begin the process............

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In regards to the SCYSA building a centrally located facility, I have reservations about the SCYSA getting into the real estate and maintenance side of soccer.

First and foremost soccer is already expensive. I would hate to think what our fees would have to go to to maintain all of the trappings of a "state soccer facility".

At first glance, it seems to me that midstate clubs would be the only beneficiaries of a facililty such as this. Is it going to be funded with upstate and lowstate SCYSA money, as well as midstate? This could be pretty divisive. I do not believe the midstate would be in favor of a facililty in the upstate or lowerstate and call it centralized doesn't justify it. Let's be honest with ourselves on that. Centralized for what? Hosting State Cup once every three years on a rotating bases? Four or five ODP workouts? Hosting regionals every 8 years?

And where in Columbia? Not everyone would be happy with its location because there is no land centralized.

If these fields were used regularly by a local club, then a reasonable expectation would be that they rent it for a fare price, pay toward the maintenance, etc. and therefore, it would be in the best interest of the club if it purchased it's own fields in the longrun. The club could truly have control of its fields.

Just some thoughts, that's all.
BLJ

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know any details about what SCYSA might want to do. Just heard that they were interested. Obviously, a lot of issues would have to be addressed. However, I think that if enough open-minded people agreed to participate in the process, it could get done.

Go Go G. If you can gather a group of people who want to have a serious discussion about a merger, let me know the time and the place. I will represent the NECSA board at the meeting and will be glad to take a proposal back to our parents, players and board.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am just a soccer parent, not a board member with any association. I believe that the initial interest in this matter has to come from the respective association board members in order for it to be taken seriously. As you stated earlier, each association has to want this to happen. I believe it can start with phone or e-mail contacts with each association to see if there is interest in merging and a discussion of the benefits and opportunities of such a merger.
If NECSA is interested, is CRSA? is CSC? is LSC?
Maybe we can view the interest in this forum. What about it Tripp, Dennis, Kevin??? Others?? I don't know any board members at LSC, but I am sure they read this valuable soccer forum. Is there interest there?? You don't have to do it alone. There are plenty of us frustrated parents, players, coaches out here to help with the merger...if you want it to be so. Lets be the best we can be....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
GGG:

I would never say you are "just" a soccer parent.

Soccer parents can and should rule the clubs. At one time, board members were also "just" soccer parents.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
GGG, TP, OTHERS -- excellent collaboration on this topic!

That's what this Message Board can provide and I believe you all have jump-started an important discussion about where Columbia's club soccer scene needs to go in the future!

Keep it up.

Goal
Goal
I asked the question a week ago about the position being filled, has it? If not, whose still in the running and why is it taking so long? Seems to me that they would want someone in place by May for tryouts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kyle,
As you know this merger topic has had much past discussion and comments, but nothing has ever come of it. I hope some club folks will really look at the possibility. Without a merger the Cola. area will continue to slowly lose exceptional players to GFC, St. Giles and even possibly Aiken. Kyle, you are hereby appointed as the moderator of this debate; and it is your duty and obligation to bring all concerned parties together to make this merger a reality!!!!! -
C S A - Columbia Soccer Association

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great discussion! But WHO is the doc at CSC?!!! This will play heavily on the whole"merger" idea!

Regaurdless of what Mr. P says NECSA WILL NOT merge b/c Tripp will not allow it!!!!!! Bottom line take it to the bank etc!!!! Many many many parents have tried this for years!!! And why should all the TALENT go play at NECSA AFTER their u14 years?

To GGG I really like the idea of the LSC,CSC,CRSA thing!!!! I think the people involved in those clubs could really get things going!!!!! I think if Eddie gets the job he and KEvin H could work something out that could be in the BEST interest of thye KIDS!!!!!!

By the way it is Columbia United Soccer Associaiton(CUSA)!!!!!! What do you think!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shearer,
I agree with you as I stated earlier that NECSA is a social club and too political to give it up for a merger. LSC and CSC of course have the fields to handle a mega-club and CRSA has the one central city field. It just will take serious discussions among all parties to make it happen. Then we can seriously compete with all state clubs. But..I dont know if I like the C U S A name..... it sounds a bit odd....'KOO-SA' maybe it will work.... I just thought *C S A* was a bit stronger and had more presence, but if all we have to do to make the merger work is come up with a name, then we are almost there!!!!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who cares about the name lets get the players together so we can compete with GFC and ST Giles!!!!!! It will only make our HS programs BETTER!!!!!!!!! No more Greenville wins!!!!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Folks:

Not sure how to say this any plainer than I already have.

Tripp is not NECSA. He is our Director of Coaching, but basically, he is paid staff and not the board. If you are talking to him about a merger (which is a board-level decision) you are talking to the wrong person.

I will be glad to meet with any group to discuss mergers and I can promise that our board will give such an idea serious consideration.

When you are ready to talk, you can call me at 771-8943 (work); 736-1091 (home) or 238-0406 (cell).

That's it for me on this thread. When you are serious about having a conversation, give me a call.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
I have read with interest the comments made by several of you in this thread. This is good discussion and exactly what this message board should be used.

I was always intrigued (as a coach) with the old CMSA - Columbia Metropolitan Soccer Association - that tried to attract the top-tier players in the Midlands, but still offered the local clubs there place.

The problem CMSA ran into, in my opinion, was non-cooperative effort by some clubs to "release" their top players, thus decimating their local club teams.

In my personal instance, I coached a U16 (1993) and U17 (1994) team for CMSA that was comprised of kids from the following high schools: Ben Lippen, Brookland-Cayce, Cardinal Newman, Dreher, Irmo, Lexington, Spring Valley, and even one home-schooled kid. It was truly a "Columbia" team and they took great pride in representing the city/area.

As for the personal gain at the high school level, the two players from B-C that played on this team helped elevate the prep players come spring -- drawing on their advanced experiences and talents. It really was a win-win situation.

At the same time I served as Director of Coaches for the Congaree Rapid Soccer Association and also co-coached a team there during my tenure at CMSA, which truly encompassed the goal of making sure top players played with top players, but even my "high school" core guys were getting good training and competing on a level of their capability (i.e. Sandlapper League).

The largest obstacle that faced CMSA however, was field availability. We trained at Medowlake Park for the most part and that was really the only field we had access to as the other clubs squeezed CMSA out.

It can work in Columbia, but the powers-to-be have to work out the parameters to make it happen. I'm willing to represent CRSA if anyone wants to meet to discuss.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mr P
That was my point! I know from the past that YOU are willing, but the release of player is what is the point!!! And who controlls the players? Tripp!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
HEY GUYS!!! I smell progress, and that this discussion is going in the right direction! Mr P. is offering genuine discussion and proposals that never have been considered from NECSA. Sounds like there are similar discussion proposals from CRSA. Lets act on that and not continue to criticize Tripp or his coaching philosophy. Give him his due, he is a great coach and motivator and could possibly help produce some more state and possibly regional championships after the merger. With Kevin, Dennis and Tripp as the lead coaching staff, many things are possible. And I am sure they are ready, after so many dedicated years with their organizations, to share in a combined effort. There would be less hassle and the work would be spread around, guys!! Give it some thought! We must all now put aside our respective individual issues and personalities and think only of the possibilities and results of a merger. Lets all quit talking in the past and move forward with the necessary contacts to sit down and talk real issues. It is only for the good of Cola area soccer that this is even being discussed. You can be a part of a strong soccer program, and not just have a few strong teams here and there. And you can be pretty certain that the players will stay with such an organization and not want to leave for Greenville or where ever.'If you build it (the merger), they will come.....' It can not be, and should not be about personalities and who wants what from a merger. Do you really want it to happen??? What are some thoughts from CSC or LSC folks??? Are they even interested??? If not, then maybe we should consider a CRSA/NECSA merger???

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Merger Discussion fizzles yet again..............?? NO WAY! Don't let it just be a discussion only....
There is always great and interesting discussion on this topic, but can it become real??? It is viable and doable Columbia soccer fans!!! But, are we too lazy, too complacent, too satisfied, to bring it to fruition?? Can anyone think of reasons it can't work? I believe the benefits far out way any negative issues. I see no negative issues, except for the impetus to get it going........and possibly the personalities involved....but I think all parties have mellowed somewhat in their advancing soccer years and really want to see something good for soccer in Cola. CRSA cannot continue to survive with 2 or 3 teams each season........ CSC could use the extra manpower to spread all the work around in a central club, and it needs more female teams to be truly representative of the area...... NECSA needs more field access....... LSC players could benefit from the much-needed talent pool, and those Lexington guys and girls would finally be able to play for exceptional teams. Combining all these efforts of these 4 clubs into one would produce an association which would provide exceptional instruction, training, coaching and competition for all age and gender groups in the Cola. area. It would be similar to CASL(Capital Area Soccer League) in Raleigh, another area soccer program in a state capital. See how they do it:
http://www.caslnc.com
We must think big in Cola., and not continue to think and be small, comfortable, satisfactory clubs in Cola. Because if we think that way, we always be just that - satisfactory.
***C S A*** (Columbia Soccer Association)
Make it Happen!!!!!!!!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've been hoping that we could form a few super teams for the Midlands for several yrs.now.CSC almost made it last Fall with their U-15 guys and it's the only way to compete with Greevville.With some Rapid U-16/CSC/NECSA we'd no doubt have a state champ.I believe a U-18 boys could also give GFC Black all they could handle too.But who would be the coaches? And tryouts are just a mo.away----

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Even if clubs didn't merge, why can't the boards or doc's get together and decide which club will form what select group. In other words, all clubs keep their normal teams but have dibs on one super team in one age division (and promise to not prevent top players from trying out at other clubs for the super team).

For example, Congaree gets the top U-14 players from the area, CSC gets the top U-15's, NECSA U-16's, LSC U-17's and 18's up for grabs. Then they rotate (stay within club) or if you get a highly qualified coach, the coach moves with the team. The other clubs could still have U-14's, but the theoretical top 16 players play for Congaree.

Just an idea at a temporary solution.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dreablank
Good Idea BUT do you really think NECSA and CSC will give up the talent? NO WAY!!!!!!!! They want the "other" clubs to merge with them! What should happen is that they DOC should sit down and talk about getting the best players together! Make one club to be the top club in Cola and the other clubs ie crsa lsc csc and necsa and the "b teams" but that's a dream! Note the grennvile has two big clubs and cola has five!!!!!!!1

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No, I don't think clubs will be willing to let go of top players, but they might be more willing to do that than totally scrap the income they're receiving by merging.

People can say what they want, but we all know it's a money driven buisness. The clubs all have a fairly steady income and don't want to give any of it up.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When and where are the tryouts & who will coach the age brackets.Try-outs for most Cola. Clubs are May 18 & 20.Try-outs & organization must be B4 then----Talk's Cheap -Who's gonna take charge of this or is Greenville gonna continue do dominate because they do have organization!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spoton
What do you think is going to happen that this will be in place by the fall!!!!! Just attend the tryout you want to and just wait for the other to happen! This will be a time taking proscess! Be fair and choose wisely!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i heard that eddie got the job, if so congrats he can take that club in a new direction

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes Eddie is the Director of Coaching at CSC and plans on coaching the U-16 and U-17 age group at CSC. I hear he is discussing the possibility of holding at least one practice a week in the downtown area if the team make-up makes that a desirable option and there is a place to hold it. (I guess that will be a big if) We'll see if this pans out. It will at least be a step in building a more inclusive club for Columbia.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard