Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Coach P Offline OP
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
This is something I have wondered about and don't understand. The English word for soccer in England is football. So why do clubs in the US, which is an English speaking country, use the Spanish word in their name? Examples: Greenville Futbol Club, Carolina Futbol Club, Georgia Futbol Club, Memphis Futbol Club.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
sounds more professional i guess... doesnt really matter

Coach P Offline OP
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
Spanish sounds more professional than English? I don't know how you could get much more professional than English Premier League clubs like Liverpool Football Club and Arsenel Football Club.

No, I guess it doesn't really matter, but I assume the clubs must have had a reason for using a Spanish word rather than an English one. I was just curious to know why.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If a person was wearing a t-shirt, reading a flyer, or such things as that...If they saw football, then they would think that it was American Football.

Coach P Offline OP
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
Right. So that is why Americans call it soccer, which came from Association Football.

Link Copied to Clipboard