Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#56061 03/31/03 09:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just curious, has anyone tried to make suggestions, comments or even ask a question of anyone on the state board? Do you find it difficult to get a response? If you get a response, does it appear condescending? It seems like the same people have been on the board forever..do any of them even have kids who still play youth soccer? Has anyone tried to run for any of the positions or do you all just play soccer and not pay them any mind? [Eek!]

Going for the advantage but getting fouled,
Soccermom

#56062 04/01/03 02:20 AM
Goal
Goal
The SCYSA is poorly run. Until the people that are running it are removed from their positions, it will continue to be a disgrace. There is a quote on their pitiful web site that states:

quote:
If you have any questions that are not answered in this Web site, feel free to contact one of the people whose number is listed in the "People" section.
Well, none of my questions have ever been answered and I believe from the President down there is a disdain for anyone that comments on their actions and decisions. You wonder why our ODP system is so poor in S.C.? Well look no further than the SCYSA!

Good luck on solving your problem (because you're going to need it).

#56063 04/02/03 01:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed - best for organization to get fresh perspectives involved.

#56064 04/02/03 01:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why hasn't anyone run against them? In looking at the board makeup, it clearly looks like the elected board, P, VP, Sec, T appoint the rest of the directors. Is that legal - to be able to appoint, 7 (I think) people to essentially stack any decision making in your favor? A company couldn't get away with that, why can they? Has anyone taken them to task on it? I keep hearing it's a waste of time, is it? Isn't it our kids that they are representing?

I just may be opening up a whole can of worms - the thing that keeps coming up is that if you make waves, your child get's played like a pawn.

Soccermom

#56065 04/02/03 02:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What are you two talking about, Soccermom & Colafan??? What are your specific complaints?? You cannot accuse a board and Pres. of general poor management without some specifics?? In my limited dealings with the board, I have received immediate, next-day assistance. I don't know of any issues in which the state board has interfered with local clubs or leagues, which is where most of us are involved and where the game is actually played, anyway. And Colafan, you must not have noticed the recent ODP successes of the 87&88 ODP boys in Ala. regional camp. 87 boys were 3-1-1 against TN,GA,FLA,NC and SouthTX. and 88 boys were 2-1-1 against similar competition.
But, the main issue is that if you don't have specific issues to be addressed, then don't just create hot air!

#56066 04/02/03 02:08 PM
Brace
Brace
The SCYSA Board is an "in-bred" compilation of folks that have been hand-picked by like-minded brethren. Why does our state settle for SCORE uniforms for the State Select ODP teams? Geez, at least look first-class in adidas or Nike! Fred Bieber cannot accept criticism, whether on the field as an official or as a president of SCYSA - he simply will not tolerate or accept views different from his own. I know that some have run against him, but none have the clout of supporters that he has surrounded himself with. There are at least six board members that have been involved with state administration for at least 8-10 years - with no new blood allowed to intervene and break up the "good old boys." [Mad] Our state has suffered in youth soccer due in part to selfish pursuits by adults to gloat on their achievements, when in reality they have only patted each other on the back for "jobs well done!" I have lost a lot of favor with the poorly run ODP program as well as the stand-offish posturing that Bieber and company subscribe to in dealing with club soccer. This attitude pervades the entire state system as "we're better than you and we are utlimately the law." Rather than try to work with clubs for the promotion and development of youth soccer, the SCYSA Board has relegated SC youth soccer to the doldrums of those in the South, with the possible exception of Arkansas and Mississippi which are simply awful in all respects. Sorry to ramble, but this topic struck a nerve. I'd like to hear if others share the same opinion or could offer rebuttle (with facts). Thanks for letting me vent! [Wink]

#56067 04/02/03 02:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LOL - Go Go Goal - you sound like you are member of the board! I agree with you - There are specific areas that I would like addressed, however, bringing them up here would not be appropriate or professional. I asked my question simply because I wanted to know if others had similar responses to mine when questioning why things are done. I and others have contacted various individuals about specific situations, the most common reply is that if disdain and making us (those questioning) feel like we are even foolish to question their authority. I do have quite a few situations that I can pin point. You know how things are, you let one thing go but then realize it happens every time - and then you start to wonder if this happens to others.

As far as ODP goes, that was brought up by Cola Fan - obviously he/she as some issues with it - where can one go to make suggestions & comments? The issue is more so communication, receiving constructive critisism and welcoming suggestions rather than making people afraid to voice an opinion.

Soccermom

#56068 04/02/03 03:04 PM
Brace
Brace
Hey soccermom, it would be nice if SCYSA would have a message board to ask THEM direct questions. I know about not wanting to air specifics as well - that should be done in private, but I can tell that you've had a similar experience in dealing with SCYSA higher-ups!

#56069 04/02/03 03:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccermom, I am not a board member and don't even know the members. I am just a parent with a kid playing challenge league soccer. But if you do not give some general examples of what you are complaining about, then how can anyone know what's the problem? Don't you agree that the job of parents and coaches and leagues and players is to just play the game of soccer in our respective areas and not try to create discord and conflict without valid issues?? How has the state organization adversely affected you? If you just were not treated all nicy-nicy when you called with a question, then maybe you need to consider that there are different personalities in this world; and maybe you did not receive as polite a response as you felt you should. Play-On!

#56070 04/02/03 06:06 PM
S
Goal
Goal
S
I have 2 kids who played about 10 years of youth soccer, both rec and classic and since they're all grown now, I have no dog in this fight. But I will throw a few comments into the ring for consideration.

I agree, many of the names on the board have been there for quite a while, some of them were there when my kids were playing. I know several of the people personally, and yes, they've all had kids that played although many have grown up and no longer do. One reason why there hasn't been much turnover might be that no one else really wants the job. I don't believe they get paid anything and there's a lot of work involved. Plus, the work involves telling people "No" much of the time, which really can be a downer if you're just a volunteer.

I did a little research and here's the Bylaws on how officers are elected. http://www.scysa.org/SCYSA%20Const%20&%20Bylaws.htm. I suspect that it's pretty much a template given to the state by USYSA and each state is run about the same. If you think that you'd like a shot at it, then I say, go for it. If, as you say, no one can dislodge the current incumbents, then I would say that indicates most people (> 50%) are happy with the job they're doing. Otherwise other people would run and they would get voted out.

As I said, I have no issue with the board or what some of you are complaining about now. It doesn't affect me anymore, I could care less. I personally think the best board is one that has older, more experienced people and also some people that have younger kids actually playing. However, I've been at some District & State Cup tournaments where some very touchy situations have occurred and you simply can't beat experience when it comes to the hard issues.

I do agree that in my day (the 90's), I was very unhappy with the ODP program. Tryout information was non-existent and the one tryout one of my kids did attend was very unsatisfactory, IMHO. From reading soccer forums in other states, it's the same in most areas of the country. However, in recent years, the SCYSA ODP game results I've seen posted seem to indicate at least that end of things is improving.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard