Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#56091 04/09/03 03:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
High school ball has taken a back seat to club in the past few years due to many factors. The fact that a team can have many great players on the same squad helps club. This allows for the focus of recruiting to be on club where, at the right tourn., a college coach can scout 40-50 young men/women. At a high school match there may be (at the MOST) 10 players total, and that is only when a team such as Wando plays Irmo. ODP has been very political, but this has been the case for many years. I wish I could suggest a way to change this, but few feasible options are availible.

#56092 04/09/03 03:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
COLAFAN
Two right lets get back on SCYSA matter.
Because I would like to hear more about the ODP and that $400,000 in the piggy bank.

Maybe SCYSA should form a separate ODP Sub committee,run by TOP Coach's and parents in SC.

#56093 04/10/03 04:08 AM
B
goal
goal
B
I keep hearing everbody denegrate ODP and talk about the politics involved. What exactly do you mean by politics? Is the selection process flawed? My son has participated in ODP for 2 years and it has been my experience the coaches have tried very hard to be fair in selection. If the coaches know a player from previous years or club play,does he have an advantage? Probably.ButI don't know the solution. Maybe having an impartial panel made up of college coaches and other experts would help in the selection process. But, some would argue the coach has a right to select the players he/she will be coaching.Again, ODP in its present form has been a positive experience for my son.Is it perfect?No. But it still beats not participating.

#56094 04/10/03 12:51 AM
C
goal
goal
C
I do not think anyone can say that politics is involved in the selection of the players. I think the BIGGEST complaint about ODP is the high cost compared to the perceived benefits. I stress the word perceived. My daughter does enjoy ODP but is frustrated by the lack of practices and organization of the few practices. I get very frustration by the lack or organization in the administration. I have offered to help organize some people to help but it is always turned down. Nothing about ODP is organized. I am not a very organized person myself but I am smart enough to surround myself with team members that are organized. The leadership needs to learn to use the strengths of its members and not try and do everything itself. I realize that organizing these events can be very tuff and a lot of work but the SCYSA leadership doesn't seem to want help. That is why I get so upset with them...

#56095 04/10/03 03:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
John Loy

You are so "RIGHT" maybe SCYSA should visit GERMANY ODP program, and learn from them.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard