#56159 04/28/03 05:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go Go

What exactly do you want? CRSA?NECSA together? Are you just anti csc? You keep changing your positionand your facts are not correct!!!! Ask Kevin if CRSA if falling out! I don't understand what you are looking for? Just wondering what you want [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

#56160 04/28/03 05:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you care to reread all my posts on this subject, you will see that I have consistently sought for a combination or merger, if you will, of all our clubs and all our efforts to produce the very best club we can in Columbia. If I am anti anything it is the constant division of talent that has prevailed for far too long in Columbia. I didn't say that CRSA or NECSA for that matter, were falling apart. They are vibrant and important clubs today. I was only forecasting their respective futures. As I now see CSC's mission, I would hope that NECSA/CRSA could combine efforts and resources now with CSC, so they could enjoy some of the success that CSC will reap..... to be a part of a time when the clubs put all their hard work into one basket. If it were to happen, we could take GFC and St. Giles by next spring in a majority of age groups. That is the mission that the SOCCER GODS have bestowed upon me.......

#56161 04/28/03 06:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They way I see it CSC is the only club besides Lexington with real facilities. they also have the DOC that will make sure they progress in ALL stages of CLUB soccer! I am sure if you ask Heise what is goal for CRSA is to have a place for his High school players to get better! CSC is on its way and if you want to be at that level then play at CSC if not than other clubs are viable choices as well! I am sure that NECSA and CRSA will have some very good sides this fall. Just remember what goes up must come down!!!!!!

#56162 04/28/03 06:39 PM
W
goal
OP Offline
goal
W
If all the talent at BC and Dreher are Freshmen the why don't they all play for CRSA? Isn't that what CRSA is there for? Is it the coaches Faclities or what? I don't understand why you would drive out to Northeast or Irmo when you could play on a pretty good team right here in Downtown Columbia?

#56163 04/28/03 11:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'll have a steak sandwich too,Mr. Underhii.From Cogburns DOWNTOWN!

#56164 04/29/03 06:47 AM
S
coach
coach
S
This thread started with the question "What does GFC offer that clubs in Columbia do not? Why would a kid/parent drive to Greenville to practice when they have clubs here?" and the last post posed the question "I don't understand why you would drive out to Northeast or Irmo when you could play on a pretty good team right here in Downtown Columbia?"

The answer to both of these questions appears to be because there are parents and/or players who, for whatever reason, want their children to play on the best team and are willing to sacrifice resources to make that occur. There are also parents and/or players that want to play competitively but do not wish to sacrifice the same level of resources to make that occur. Finally, there are parents and/or players that want to play recreationally.

During the time that this thread has been in existence, CSC and CFC have announced a merging of resources in order to better accomplish playing at a higher level. What GGG has continued to state, consistently and emphatically, is his/her concern that other clubs will be "left behind". GGG's solution for this, and stated consistently and emphatically, is to merge clubs into a single "meta-club" such that all resources may be applied to this issue.

While I disagree with GGG's "meta-club" solution as the optimal path, it does at least acknowledge the issue of that there are clubs that appear to be more serious about competing at a regional and national level than others. Repeatedly, it is asked why people would drive greater distances to play at one club when another is closer. Again, the answer lies in the "mission" of the parent and the matching of that "mission" by the club.

For the group of parents and/or players that wish to compete regionally and nationally, what is desired is a club that is willing to step up in terms of resources. GGG wants NECSA/CRSA to either merge with CSC or to step up and commit the resources to compete at a regional and national level alone.

Here's what I think some (not all) folks are missing in this thread: driving distance to practice is a rather trivial committment compared to many that need to be made if you want to compete regionally and/or nationally. You have to be willing to pay for the best coach possible. I know that many people on these message boards coach and have children playing -- but what you want are professional coaches (in much the same manner that most do not want a part-time brain surgeon poking around in your head with a stick). This costs money. You want to have the team playing in the best tournaments in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Alabama, Tenessee, Virginia, etc. against the best teams. This costs money and even more importantly for many, a major amount of time and energy. And so on...

Some of the absolute worst clubs have one or more teams willing to make this happen. And some of the best clubs have teams that are not willing to make this happen.

To make a decision that teams in the Columbia area are not competitive with those of the Greenville area because of the overall size of the talent pool overlooks, in my humble opinion, the more basic challenges that face any team or collections of teams (i.e., a club) - the willingness of parents and/or players to make the sacrifices necessary to play at a regional and national level.

GFC and St. Giles are not focused on winning against SC teams -- they are focused on winning against some of the best teams in the region and nation (e.g., Norcross, Tophat, Quest -- just from the Atlanta region). For those of you that have seen teams at the level of Norcross play, you recognize that while there is certainly a deeper level of talent, that this is a side-effect less of the talent pool than it is a side-effect of the committment by parents and/or players.

Okay -- enough rhetoric -- let me bottom line this. CSC is a wonderful start and seems to be trying to do the right thing. I don't perceive anyone on this thread as "anti-CSC" -- I just perceive that there are people who wish that their "more local club" had more of a CSC mindset. The short answer to those people: vote with your feet -- tell your "more local club" that you're switching to CSC, or forming a new club, if they can't get their act together in terms of competing regionally and nationally. Trying to make clubs merge will typically give you the lowest common denominator of those clubs; the only way this is avoided is if clubs internally decide that they want to play and win at a high enough level such that they decide to merge on their own for selfishly competitive reasons.

One last note concerning Lexington. It's amazing to me that I read all of these shots at Lexington month after month without anyone coming to its defense. But then again, it's completely understandable. For those of you that lust after the fields that Lexington has, realize that Lexington, while field rich, is club poor in that the four (4!) clubs that squabble over those fields are all over the map. Lexington is a disaster at the club level -- the embodiment of a cautionary tale that parents should tell their children about before going to bed to make sure that when they become adults that they never allow to occur again. And while some Lexington teams are certainly very good on a state level, this is more a matter at this time of individual coaches and parents/players rising up and fighting the club rather than a club itself. It should be noted, however, that rather than merging the Lexington clubs I think that the right answer is to help the clubs that are actively and at least somewhat competently trying to become more competitive (i.e., the boys classic club) rather than trying to force some type of merger that would possibly drag all of the clubs down to the level of the girls classic club. In my opinion, you don't fix things like the girls classic club of Lexington by altering it or merging it -- you blow it up, salt the earth, and either create something new or switch over to a club that wants to be competitive (e.g., CSC).

#56165 04/29/03 12:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BRAVO!!!!!!!!
BRAVO!!!!!!!!
THE LEADER OF THE SOCCER GODS HAS SPOKEN AND SPOKEN VERY WELL! I knew there was some intelligent life on the Cola. area soccer planet!
I don't know what the heck you are talking about regarding the Lex. girls program....blow it up? and salt the earth? They just need to play tennis...
However, thank you for sharing your thoughts and wisdom regarding this non-merger/merger issue. Even though you did not intend to do so, Shibumi(is that Latin for SOCCER GOD?), you have caused me to re-think my notion of an all out merger.....and rather to focus more on the concept that one club can possibly get the mission accomplished (CSC). Maybe I was thinking that clubs would be more cooperative and forward-thinking on this issue, and would see the great benefits for the PLAYERS. THE PLAYERS.....not the coaches; not the parents; not the associations; not the DOCs. The players play the game.....they get to have all the fun and joy at playing the 'most beautiful game'..they get to smell the grass and mud and dirt....smells that will last a lifetime...they get to experience the life long friendships and grasp the memories of their participation. We will see how it will progress..Will soccer in Cola. be the same in 2 yrs? in 5 yrs.? in 10 yrs.?
Only the SOCCER GODS know.......

#56166 04/29/03 05:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is great to hear everyone's opinions and so forth but the real question has not yet been answered! What can be done to help COlumbia compete with GFC and ST Giles? I hear all the talk and so forth but talk is cheap! Oh well another fall of greenville dominance!!!!!!

shearer [Mad] [Mad]

#56167 04/29/03 06:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shearer--- You had toooooo much of the brown ale!!!!!!!!!! Can you not comprehend any of the posts? These are called ideas........ thoughts.... The brown ale must have your mind as muddied as a southern soccer field in March...
There have been many attempts here to pursuade or conjole the local associations to get off their respective a$$e$, and come to terms with the future of soccer in the area....and the only one that appears to have stepped forward is CSC. So the answer to your question right now is--CSC.
I only would like to see all clubs unite... LSC,CRSA,NECSA,CSC...so that we could compete at all levels and age groups with St. Giles & GFC.
It will take a while for CSC to accomplish that alone, but I feel they are on the right track. By becoming a truly competitive soccer program in the state and region, we (Cola.) would make soccer stronger statewide---GFC and St. Giles would be better programs as well, as a result of our mutual competitiveness.... But no one, except CSC, has made an attempt to attain this competitive status.
No more on this topic for me.....my thoughts are having no impact and my massive brain needs some rest..........

#56168 04/29/03 07:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
go go go go go jump off a bridge!!!!!!! You just answered my question to the fullest! All this is IS talk! Nothing will ever happen to merge b/c it has to be something new not CSC!!!!!! Look how GFC did it all new!!!!! CSC is not the answer here! Untill ALL the clubs want to form one club in cola the talent will be split!!!! Oh well GFC/st.giles rep us just fine at regional anyway! And since they will have the higher level of play guess who will win the hs state championships as well?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard