Unregistered
A
why is GFC better than everyone...

#56191 04/16/03 01:53 PM
B
goal
goal
B
Its pretty simple really.GFC is the most aggressive club in SC right now. They are making the financial commitment in both coaches and facilities that other clubs are not able to or willing to make.Also,they aggressively seek out the best players no matter where they are located.If a top player from say Charleston or Sumter wants to play for GFC and it will be a benefit for both the player and the club then GFC tries to be accomadating in practices,etc.Success breeds success and if GFC teams are playing in top notch tournaments,making premier league and winning state championships,the top players will make the necessary sacrifice to play for these clubs.

#56192 04/16/03 02:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is why there is so much discussion about Cola. area merger of clubs (see the posts and discussion under Cola soccer club seeks...). GFC and St. Giles will continue to attract the better players in the midlands because of their organization and determination to be the best they can be in the state. Look at the current Challenge league standings. All 1st place teams are GFC or St. Giles! They are strong in every age and gender category. If the players make the sacrifice to go to Greenville 2-3 times a week for practice, the results will be great instruction, coaching and facilities. That's exactly why, Cola soccer fans, WE NEED THE MERGER TO HAPPEN..............NOW......Or just continue to be small, medicocre, acceptable........

#56193 04/17/03 07:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Other factors in the equation that players consider are the exposure and competition that GFC provides on a regular basis for its' players. The 16 and 18 girls play in the premier league and attend the top tournaments like WAGS, Raleigh, Disney Showcase, Score at the Shore and Final Four Showcase. As well in the Spring, the 16 and 18 teams play University of AL, Georgia St. University of Lousiana, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Limestone, College of Charleston and Tennessee. The college coaches have a chance for on site evaluation and the girls can show their abilities.
As well, evaluation occurs, as it does by many top clubs in the US ( CASL as an example )of the need to combine the top teams in US Club Soccer. The Snickers Cup may be a secondary national championship that state teams compete in and the US Club Championship will be where only the premier teams play.
When you can get that type of vision and forward thinking from the club officials you know they are looking for the best training, tournaments and exposure for the players that are trying to excel.
The player that wants that environment gravitates to that program. They and their parents make the sacrifices to make that happen.

#56194 05/05/03 05:11 PM
Goal
Goal
I noticed on the GFC website that they have bios of each coach on their Training Staff.

A couple of questions I have is when was Bryan Mills a "Clemson University standout" and when was Jim Heilich a "NCAA All-American" at the University of South Carolina? I'm sure these guys were good collegiate players, but I don't remember them receiving these types of awards and I've followed both programs for a good while. As for Andrew Hyslop's accomplishments, I remember the Columbia Heat (they lasted about 1/3 of a summer and I guess "burned up").

Overall, a very impressive group, but I just hope there's no "George O'Leary" stuff going on here in the bios!

#56195 05/05/03 06:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cola Fan They were probably on USC and Clemson's "Club" teams! I looked up ALL USC"s all-americans and he was not on the list! I am researching Clemson now! A buddy of mine is an asst coach with them now! He is checking on that!
Shearer

#56196 05/05/03 09:48 PM
B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Bryan Mills was the goal keeper at clemson. He was only All-ACC. Shouldnt be too hard to find. I dont know about Jim though, it could be USC, or USC-Spart. both are good programs.

Link Copied to Clipboard