Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It has been about a week and I've not received any telephone calls to discuss a new club or merger of clubs. People busy or just shy?

Maybe we should try through the forum.

My assumption is that a new club makes more sence than a legal merger of existing clubs. So, how would such a club work? I think that those interested in the idea have the burden of coming up with a set of proposed operating rules so that participating clubs can assess how the new club would impact them and their families.

If I go to the NECSA board, there will be a lot of questions about how the new club would operate:

who would be on the board, how it would be funded, where would it play, how would players be selected, how would coaches be selected, how would practice locations be determined, etc. Without tentative/proposed answers to these kinds of questions, the proposal will be DOA.

So, how about somebody starting us off by posting a set of operating rules that at least cover the above questions. I would, but frankly, I don't know the answers. I just know the questions.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
posted April 14, 2003 09:36 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Merger Discussion fizzles yet again..............?? NO WAY! Don't let it just be a discussion only....
There is always great and interesting discussion on this topic, but can it become real??? It is viable and doable Columbia soccer fans!!! But, are we too lazy, too complacent, too satisfied, to bring it to fruition?? Can anyone think of reasons it can't work? I believe the benefits far out way any negative issues. I see no negative issues, except for the impetus to get it going........and possibly the personalities involved....but I think all parties have mellowed somewhat in their advancing soccer years and really want to see something good for soccer in Cola. CRSA cannot continue to survive with 2 or 3 teams each season........ CSC could use the extra manpower to spread all the work around in a central club, and it needs more female teams to be truly representative of the area...... NECSA needs more field access....... LSC players could benefit from the much-needed talent pool, and those Lexington guys and girls would finally be able to play for exceptional teams. Combining all these efforts of these 4 clubs into one would produce an association which would provide exceptional instruction, training, coaching and competition for all age and gender groups in the Cola. area. It would be similar to CASL(Capital Area Soccer League) in Raleigh, another area soccer program in a state capital. See how they do it:
http://www.caslnc.com
We must think big in Cola., and not continue to think and be small, comfortable, satisfactory clubs in Cola. Because if we think that way, we always will be just that - satisfactory.
***C S A*** (Columbia Soccer Association)
Make it Happen!!!!!!!!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good thought to start a new club from scratch....and basically let the other local clubs merge into a new one.... if of course there is interest.....I am not sure about CSC. They have not responded here yet. They are currently looking at hiring a new DOC. Maybe Eddie Crosby may have some words of wisdom to share here about his thoughts of CSC merging with other local clubs to create a new larger, stronger club for the Cola area. Is CSC interested, Eddie? I just wish other club folks would chime in about this topic....CSC? LCS? As you noticed, Kevin Heise has said in the forum that he is ready to discuss prospects of merger and may also be open to a new club format. As you also know Carolina FC was a new club for girls which began 2 years ago. Although NECSA opted not to join in that club, that may be a good place to start to get ideas about how they started up.... It is my understanding that they actually did not merge clubs, but only teams. As to your post about where to start with a board and mission of a new club, I would think you could merge the philosophies and goals of the respective clubs into one mission...But the big difference will be that the mission will be on a grander, more comprehensive scale; with viable goals to have at least two teams in each age and gender group. This would show the soccer community that your club has something for every soccer player at every level. Other goals on a higher level would be to compete for state and region championships in each age group each year. I believe the other mechanics you mentioned of a new club would come about as you organized....practices, fields, player selection, coaching, funding........ If LSC and CSC are interested, then you have the fields you need, (along with strong CSC coaching); if NECSA and CRSA are interested, then you have the coaching and people with strong organizational skills. As far as an impact on families, they would have more choices for their kids....and receive better, more comprehensive and even more specialized instruction and coaching for their 'club dollars'. But the real WINNERS in all this are the players; and aren't they the most important part of this whole issue?? The choices they would have to excel and improve their skills at the game of soccer would be tremendously improved. As example, at GFC the coaches rotate around during practices and even during games; coaching and instructing players at various age/gender levels....sharing their respective soccer wisdom with the teams and coaches.Any coach is then prepared to coach any team in any game. Coaches make the program work cause they can monitor the development of the players as they go thru the program. The club has several trainers for specific skill instruction. They also play in the most competitive tournaments they can attend. This happens and is successful because of the size and scope of that club. There needs to be a meeting of respective Cola. area club representatives to put on paper how this all can work. Lets hear from other club officials????????????

C
goal
goal
C
I know CFC almost had a problem starting their club. I believe the by-laws of SCYSA is that a club must have 100 members before it can form. But how do you get members if you can not form. And you can not get an insurance policy needed to form a club team until you get the insurance policy. So CFC actually is a rename of PGSA. My understanding is that SCYSA was getting tired of teams in the upstate always splitting off and forming new clubs because they where unhappy with their current club.

I think most people want the single club. I believe most clubs would be willing to work it out and do something. The rub is no one wants to be the fall guy if it doesn't work. No one is willing to put in the time and energy needed to force a merger. No one wants to be the one to make the first move and everyone wants to be on the board for the new club.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Per SCYSA manual, page 9 B.1.a." A CLUB is a structured organization representing at least 100 players operating within a specified community or other defined geographical area for the purpose of sponsoring teams to play soccer (NEW CLUBS WITH FEWER THAN 100 PLAYERS MAY BE GRANTED PROVISIONAL STATUS FOR THAT SEASONAL YEAR BY A MAJORITY VOTE OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS BUT WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE TO VOTE AT ANY ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING). Each club is assigned a SCYSA a permanent club number, which is a three (3)digit control number."

It can be done - Charleston Futbol Club did it this past year. You need to get your district council to support you as your district commissioner would bring it to the board for vote.

Soccermom

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From an SCYSA stand-point, I don't think it would be a problem forming a new club.

I'm willing to spend SOME time on the idea of a new club/merger of clubs. I can help move the dialog along and can take a plan to the NECSA board and guarantee a serious discussion/consideration.

What I don't have is a lot of time or energy to devote to this.

Also, seems to me, the burden is on those who feel passionately about the need for a new club/merger. (Which is not me. I understand the possible benefits, but I'm not a strong, strong supporter. Only my youngest son still plays and he would most likely not be on one of the top teams).

Those who are in favor of this surely must have given some thought as to how it would work. What I'm asking here is for someone to put their thoughts on "paper" so we can draft a proposed set of operating rules that all of the area clubs could agree to follow.

ChapinDad: One thing for sure--I have no interest at all in being on the board of a new club. I'm already on too many boards.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK ! OK ! Enough discussion. Discussion is very nice, polite and acceptable; but now is the time for action! Someone must start the REAL discussions. Let's hear from Eddie Crosby since he has been selected as the CSC DOC. Any interest there, Eddie, in a merger? Or is CSC satisfied with the way things are and will always be? Right now, you have the field complex and a few strong teams, but are you interested really in a merger that would make the Cola. area the best in the state? Let's hear from LSC? Lets hear further from NECSA and CRSA?? Let's hear from other soccer parents in the area?? I know its a lot of work, but if someone will call a meeting I will be there, with lots of passion and energy to help out. As a soccer parent, I have no political power or clout, but I want it to happen for all the area soccer players who deserve the challenge and encouragement to develop at a higher level. But, it would be not just for the upper level players. The merger could create a centralized club to provide extensive training, exceptional coaching, specialized skill-work, on a broader scale, which would benefit all levels of players in the area. Maybe the merger structure could begin to develop through organizational meetings throughout the upcoming summer and fall months and be completely in place by Spring 2004. BUT, the BIG question is: Do YOU Columbia, really want it???

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go go goal

I don't think the question is if WE want it but rather how can it occur! I mean meetings and all this is nice but no one has come forth with an idea that has any backbone to it! It is all merger this and merger that but what is the real plan of action? I mean for instance: Will the smaller clubs still opperate? Where will this new super club practice? Who will be the DOC? Who will serve on the board? The biggest one is there anyone really behind this? We have heard from Kevin Heise(CRSA) and Mr P (NECSA) but what about the other clubs? Start asking the important questions before you get too far ahead of youself!!!!
I commend your efforts and desire to make Columbia the best but, the ones in charge Must feel the same way! Maybe put out some dates in the summer to meet and have an OPEN forum for AND against this "merger" or creating of a super club!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good reply, Shearer. Yet, I do believe that all the issues you mention: practices, coaches, board members, team structures, fields,etc.... will all come out in the organizational discussions/meetings over next 6 mos. I want to see if there is any interest in face to face talk about a merger. Parents will not make the decision, players can't make the decision......it can only come from the current DOCs and soccer association leaders. If they don't want it, then it doesn't matter what parents or players think or want. Since there has been no merger response from LSC or CSC (who have all the fields), can a board or association member at least send a brief e-mail to those organizations and inquire about their thoughts?? their interests?? If they are not interested, then possibly NECSA/CRSA can consider merging their respective efforts. They currently draw from the same basic pool of area players, and are much closer in proximity. Irmo would probably never consider a merger with Lex. alone; and probably still only wants to do its own thing. Therefore, there could be 3 soccer programs after a NECSA/CRSA merger. As far as some details--- I don't believe you would have smaller clubs. It would be most beneficial to have one larger organization which could meet all the needs of the teams and players. There would not just be a super club separate from the new association. They would be 2 tier--challenge, classic levels; with hopefully a premier team or 2 after some time. For example: U-11 thru U-14 in spring would each have an "A" and a "B" team and then more age groups in the fall. From those teams, you train harder to become eligible for the premier league. By offering such a structure I believe you would attract players who want the best development and who would come from Sumter, Lexington, Irmo and other surrounding towns. Your total organization size would grow by at least a 1/4 in first year, if it is promoted correctly. Team Player selection would be based on levels of player abilities, team fit, etc. Coaches would be assigned based on their own qualities, with some coaches in charge of several teams, like at GFC. Practices could rotate between W. Cola fields, Memorial field, and NECSA fields and other available field locations. Board members could be a combined effort of current and/or new members. These may not be all the answers or even the best answers, but they there to consider. I can't really think of anything else to say on this issue until someone with some authority or association position will get it going outside this forum discussion.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I like your thoughts! I do think the things I spoke of are important and need to be ironed out in the first stages of the talks! I think CSC will merge BUT the CSC name would have to stay! I don't think they will give up talent with a new DOC on board! I hope this will continue even if just on the message board because any progress is good progress!

Shearer

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just a question and comment Shearer....
What makes you believe that CSC would be interested in merger? Also, the new DOC would not be giving up talent....... they would greatly benefit from the combination of talent which HAS NEVER taken place in the Cola. area soccer community. There have been too many divisions of player talent for too long in this soccer community. CSC will not attract kids from the city area or from Northeast Cola. & Sumter areas because of its distance. Yet, if there is a full and complete merger, then the players and parents would not mind a 30 min. drive when they have tp practice at Irmo; as long as they receive as high a level of coaching/instruction like that offered at GFC, St. Giles. Maybe CSC will continue to produce a few quality teams, but it will only be for the Irmo area kids, and not for the whole Cola. area soccer community. We need the best soccer program that can serve the whole soccer area, not just Irmo.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BEcause right now they hold the cards! They have the facilities, talent, and a full time DOC to give his full attention to the club! I just think they will want to keep the CSC name and let the other clubs filter into them today!
shearer

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shearer you are correct sir! See my post under the topic "One Club in Columbia".

Chris Christian
CSC Staff Coach

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard