Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#56250 05/04/03 02:27 AM
S
coach
coach
S
soccerparent3/CoachP: Thank you for responding to this; I think it’s incredibly helpful to talk about specifics with people involved in a club with a very aggressive mission/goal.

Could you elaborate on "whether a full merger does occur"? Is the CSC/CFC "merger" simply a field sharing agreement now and you folks are in discussions for a more comprehensive merger later? If not, what's going on? And if so, what would a more comprehensive merger entail?

With regard to younger girls, I can give you an anecdotal experience. My daughter was once stranded; she played for a team that was very successful one year under one coach and situation, and then very unsuccessful the next six months under another coach and situation, and then within the space of a week almost all of the parents and players decided to play JV instead. My daughter was too young for JV (she was playing up) and therefore had to find a team or sit out. She loves soccer (it's the only sport she will consent to playing) and wanted to play for the best team she could find, and because of our beliefs we told her we'd drive her anywhere she wanted within the area. We did not pay any attention to clubs; instead, we looked at the various teams, talked to parents, looked at won/loss records (both absolute and improvement over time), looked at players, looked at tournaments, looked at coaches, and ended up with a non-CFC team. Now, I can tell you that given missions/goals, I thought going in we'd end up in CFC, but we ended up with another team.

What's the moral of this? For some niche of players, perhaps a very small niche but at least some group, the most important thing is the coaching and the results and not the driving distance. I’m hoping that CSC/CFC teams can achieve those results; that’s why I’m so interested in understanding the details of the two teams working together.

#56251 05/04/03 02:38 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
At this point it appears to me that CSC and CFC are doing the day-to-day things as if we were one club. Joint tryouts, joint coaches planning sessions, cooperative coaching assignments, and, yes, field utillization. The administrative stuff has not been worked out yet.

#56252 05/04/03 02:59 AM
S
coach
coach
S
Thanks -- the full operational (but not administrative) merger was my understanding but I was afraid that I might be missing something. One interesting metric that should be able to be quantified rather quickly is to find out the number of players that will be competing for each age group during try-outs. Hopefully, it will be a significantly larger number (maybe not 2X, but you could hope reasonably for 1.5X or better) than either team alone.

As you can tell, there are folks even on this message board who don't yet know that CSC and CFC have merged (and the folks on this message board probably pay more attention to this stuff than the average parent or player). I know that you've already sent out try-out flyers; is there anything else planned to "get the word out" about CSC and CFC merging so that you can attract an even greater talent pool?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard