Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5628 04/10/02 02:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At a recent lower state 1A/2A game, a fan said a disturbing thing to a striker on the opposite team. Things like "They must've let you out of DJJ to play today," and,"They need to send your mom back to the crackhouse where she belongs." The guy who said it is a school board member for the other team, so how should this be dealt with?

#5629 04/10/02 04:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When i used to play for crestwood, i had long hair i kept in a ponytail during games. One west florence fan kept telling the ref to give me a rainbow card for being gay.

hehe, i thought it was pretty funny.

#5630 04/10/02 03:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The coach of the team with the guilty fans should handle it. I cannot say that our fans do not heckle but when I hear it I tell them that we don't want that garbage. I TRY to insist that we only have positive support for our team and respect for the other team.

#5631 04/10/02 10:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We (Dixie) had a unruly encounter with some fans from Williston Elko. To our shock the man shouting the comments seemed to be the same ref we had the night before when we played Blackville. As players we were outraged by this. Players along with fans should treat each other with respect and play the game as it is intended to be played. Thats my opinion!!!

#5632 04/11/02 12:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think heckling is fine...it is good to have students come to the games and show their support...if your worrying about some one in the stands picking on you because you have long hair or because the say your from the land of oz cause your short...then your worrying about the wrong thing...just as long as the coments are not racial or anything that could actually hurt some ones feelings out side the field...

#5633 04/11/02 12:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hanahan and respect don't belong in the same sentence. the first time we played them they played decent soccer but the second time they must have thought they had no chance at winning and they played straight dirty, its a shame cause i think they could have competed with us had they played an orthadox style of soccer. and their coach is crazy, he was trying to get our fans to come down and fight him and stuff, and he was yelling at the refs about calls, calls which weren't even there.

#5634 04/12/02 01:31 AM
Brace
Brace
B&GOO-
WERE YOU AT THAT GAME? Because you are obviously talking about a different game then the one I witnessed when Hanahan played at Edisto!! Or maybe you got the words "Hanahan" and "Edisto" confused.

First, the Hanahan coach was protesting a call, like a lot of coaches do, and your fan shouted "coach, shut your damn mouth". The Hanahan coach told your fan "if you want to say something, then come down here and say it". Does this mean he wants to fight? If it does, then you are some violent people up there and you should really get some help for that kind of volitility. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT! The Edisto coach did nothing to try and control his crowd. On the other hand, I have seen numerous coaches during my playing and coaching career (do you have either one of those?) that take an active part in trying to keep duragatory comments made by fans out of the game. Strangley enough, the coaches I speak of are the most respected and successful coaches in SC soccer (club or high school).

As for dirty play- the swollen and bloody lip and cheek that the Hanahan stopper sustained, as a result of by far one of the dirtiest plays ever (made by #9 Kurtis someone), gives more evidence that your team was the team who instigated the "cheap and dirty" style of play. The Hanahan player and Kurtis were running side by side and then Kurtis proceded to elbow him and swing his fist into his face. I would bet that play cost Kurtis any type of post season award b/c he is an ok player but no respectable coach or administrator would include such a dirty player on any team that is based on honor or give him any award that is remotly connected to honor.

Next, do you call what Edisto plays "orthodox" soccer? I guess it is if you consider "boom ball" orthodox soccer. Hanahan began the game trying to knock the ball around but the playing surface dictated that they change their style of attack, and they began to play balls directly to the forwards' feet. Oh, the playing surface and the fact that Edisto came into every tackle late, usually two footed and from behind. I can't wait until you play a team that fouls you as clumsily and with as much intent to injure as you fouled the Hanahan players.

I have seen people make a type-o when a comma or a word is ivolved but I have never seen a person make a type-o when an entire post is concerned. This is much like, in 18 years of soccer experience, I have never seen such consistently clumsy tackling with obvious intent to injure and then see the coach do or say nothing- thus passively encouraging this type of play. All teams take note- Edisto takes full advantsge of the theory that "if the ref doesn't call it, it's not a foul". Also, bring ankle and knee protection and braces b/c numerous players will need them after playing Edisto. Also, whoever marks Kurtis may need face protection and a mouth piece and tell him to be aware of of flying elbows and fists, but Kurtis will get the call thanks to some home town refereeing. Oh, not to mention, that of the 5-0 score- 2 goals were on very controversial PKs and a third came after one of your players shoved the goalkeeper in the back and then headed the ball in. A fourth was just a bad goal on out part. Edisto had ONE decent goal but it even had to come on a break a way.

#5635 04/12/02 02:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
its not the coaches job to control the fans...the coach is to control the players and COACH...its the fans job to control themselves...lets not make this something more then it is...hecklers are fine if they can control themselves...seeing people in the stands doin stupid stuff...is fun it should be encouraged...lighting up and play the game...

#5636 04/12/02 03:38 AM
J
world cup
world cup
J
I sort of agree with js3. I don't see the problem with "hecklers". I think as long as it doesn't carry on to after the game and they don't curse at whoever they are heckling. I think what soccer needs is fans and we should take them however we can get them. Plus its funny to joke with the other players about how stupid some of the fans are. As long as its not racist, dirogitory, and all that crap I think its cool. I thought the "rainbow card" was pretty creative and I think it would make more people laugh and shake their head than be offended. Who doesn't love some redneck parent acting like they know everything about soccer?

#5637 04/12/02 04:40 AM
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
L E Dude for President!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard