coach
S
Sorry...

ad hominem: against the person

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem.html

#56396 05/16/03 05:49 PM
hat-trick
hat-trick
This will be my last post on this particular thread.

I believe my comments have been misunderstood. I have not meant anything personally toward anyone. I am not bitter. I went to coach at CFC because that is where my daughter chose to play and because I strongly support many of the principles that CFC represents.

The only reason I posted on this subject is that I firmly believe it is WRONG for a small group of people to control taxpayer public property while excluding others. I am not bitter, but I am passionate about this belief.

#56397 05/16/03 08:33 PM
S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
[The more I read outsider’s most recent message the more confused I became; I’m sure because there are just some things I don’t understand. I’m writing this note because I’m hoping that someone out there can help me with this. I’d like to urge, and even beg, outsider and Coach P and anyone else to clarify what I am missing here.]

>>There is absolutely no reason that you would have jumped on the CSRA band wagon with out a vendetta. Did you not also try to force your way onto the fields with CFC? If you have a personal tiff with Lex then deal with that personally not through another person.<<

In order to get past all of this stuff, let’s imagine for a moment that I want to start the SSC – the Shibumi Soccer Club -- to fill a void I currently see out there in all of the clubs in the mid-state – I want to start a regionally and nationally competitive club for boys and girls that will play other clubs, and university teams, in the Fall and the Spring, and beat them by a tremendous margin. I go to Shibumi Corporation and it provides a revenue stream that allows me to get a coaching staff that is better than anything in the US. And let’s imagine that the SSC is made up of 100% Lexington County soccer players. Why can’t SSC be a part of the Lexington Unified Soccer Association and get a chance to be fairly allocated fields?

Please note that I’m not starting a club because I simply think I can run a club better than the next person, and I’m not trying to duplicate the mission of any other club. I am legitimately starting a club that has a different mission than any other club in Lexington. So what have I done wrong and how am I hurting others?

>>Also what is happening here Is that all this arguing is going to negatively impact the players. They will see coaches with dislike for others and they will take that out on the field.<<

Wait a minute. You mean if we tell everyone to shut up, grin and bear it, regardless of what they think or how they feel – that this is going to be a healthier environment in which to play? I am completely confused by this remark – please explain!

>>And secondly this is really going to hurt the players because the county is going to get tired of all this crap and will nicely tell all clubs other then the REc boys and girls for lex to find fields else where.<<

Help me out here. Your theory is that if this is discussed on a message board, that the county is then going to deny services to any and all Lexington parents – you know, the people that pay the taxes -- that instead of playing recreation play classic? Where did this come from? And why would Lexington County cut out only recreation or only classic? There are a lot of stupid responses that Lexington County could make – why is this the one that they would make – if they’d make a stupid response at all?

>>I know Kevin wants more fields to help his club grow, but to do this will just hurt about 25 teams of classic player and give them no fields, and not open any extra fields up for his club. So coaches that are trying to run this into the ground I hope you have come up with what you will tell all the players.<<

I’m so ignorant, that I don’t even know who Kevin is – but I’m sure he’s a great guy. But I don’t think it’s germane to this argument. What is being asked here is why a “Lexington-based club” was excluded. I actually through that you nailed this in an earlier post when you stated that CFC had merged with CSC and thus there wasn’t a Lexington-based club any longer. But maybe I’m missing something there as well.

But if Coach P is from CSC/CFC, then it seems to me that the worst-case result for her/him would be that the 25 teams of classic players would be welcomed, I would hope, into CSC/CFC. I’m not at all saying that is Coach P’s plan – what I’m trying to make clear is that this doesn’t seem to be the nuclear winter kind of threat that it might seem to be – at least from the CSC/CFC perspective – all it would do would be to hurt Lexington parents and players.

>>Coach P. about your involvement with this mess. If you are out to get the club or a person in the club take it out with them personally and don’t hide.<<

Look, I don’t have a hidden agenda here other than I’d like to see a regionally/nationally competitive club in the mid-state. At this point, I don’t believe any of the clubs have this mission. Note: I used to believe CSC/CFC was going after this – but from what I’ve been told CSC/CFC wants to be great in the Fall and then feed to high schools. As always, if I’m wrong, yet again, about this – someone just state clearly that I’m wrong and what CSC/CFC’s mission and goals are.
But I’ve got to admit, as a person who pays a lot of Lexington County taxes, I am still struggling to understand the rationale for the policies. I’ve written Mr. Criscione to ask him for a complete copy of the policy to try to better understand it. I’m not criticizing the policy, or LUSA, or the “Lexington Clubs”, or whatever – I’m simply trying to understand it.

#56398 05/16/03 09:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ok, CFC was not allowed to practice over in lexington on gibson(the reason for the start of the whole thing) for the fact that those fields are in use, for sandhills girls, which are lexingtons girls. why take the home club off the field and let the competition practice there, and CSC/CFC has ballentine, when lexington gets to practice over there, then this debate that CRSA should be able to use lexingtons fields will have merit, until then it wont

#56399 05/17/03 11:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with Kevin and Coach P. Not sure where the recreation district lines are drawn and how taxes are collected and distributed. I live in Lexington County as well (near Irmo). Neither website - Lexington County Recreation and Aging Commission nor Irmo-Chapin Recreation Commission - post that information.

Kevin's side of town is served by the LCRAC and his letter is right on target. My son plays for CSC. On my son's CSC fall team, of the 17 players rostered, 14 reside in Lexington County, 2 reside in Richland County. Granted the county line runs through Irmo, but most of the parents are paying taxes to Lexington County. 2 of the 14 were from Lexington proper and certainly reside with the boundaries of the LCRAC.

The last post motivated me to register so that I could respond.

There seems to be a misunderstanding about Ballentine fields and Columbia Soccer Club (CSC). I am guessing that many visiting parents and teams from the Columbia area assume that these fields are run by a local gov't recreation commission.

The Ballentine fields are not public but owned by the club. The fields are there by the hard work of a few parents - Greg Weinspach deserves most of the credit. After it was evident that local recreation soccer facilities would never satisfy the needs of the club, a decision was made to purchase land and build fields. This was a gutsy call made around 1995. It has been that long in the making. So much work has been done with so little money.

Currently, the club is taking a signficant next step this summer to build a concession and restroom facility and provide paving.

If you are a believer in citizens banding together to satisfy their needs (instead of waiting/hoping that the local government will) CSC might just be the club for you. Even with the burden of having to pay for our own fields, CSC fees are competitive with other clubs in Columbia.

The club is run by parent volunteers. Maintenance is done by parent volunteers.

There has been a lot of talk about club mergers. Mergers aren't necessary. If you want your child to play for a club that has the same vision as St. Giles (or GFC) come to CSC. Tryouts are this week.

#56400 05/17/03 02:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This thread is full of both good and ridiculous arguments. My question is:
If CRSA (forget CSC and CFC) is a Lexington based club, why does there seem to be such an effort by the "soccer powers that be" to NOT provide anything for them in the way of fields in Lexington County?

#56401 05/17/03 07:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i know a lot about the fight to get lexingtons new complex, more than most people on this site. Lexington Soccer Club FOUGHT long and hard for those fields, just as CSC did to get their fields, yes i realize the club owns the fields, not becuase the county wouldnt help, but some of the people incharge ticked the county off a number of years ago, i realize the pride that CSC takes in their OWN fields, but Lexington takes pride in their OWN fields regardless who owns them. becuase Lexington Soccer Club board members and parents. sacrificed an exuburant amount of time to get lexingtons fields, did CSC help lexington get the county to give them fields? No. Then why should they use them?? and kick lexington off their own fields. I know for a fact that lexington has never asked to play at ballentine, becuase they put the same dedication into getting those fields as the lexington folks.

and about the argument of out of 17 kids, 14 live in lexington county and 2 in richland, and 2 of 14 live in the town of lexington- you play for CSC not lexington. why should you use lexingtons fields??

on my club team of 18, 3 kids lived 5 min away from ballentine, so therefore its unfair that i dont get to practice at ballentine.

If you pay lexington taxes, then you are entitled to play at lexington county's fields, but if you choose to play for a different club than lexington, stop whining

#56402 05/18/03 01:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If the Lexington Soccer Club pays the bills for the Soccer Complex (including the cost of the land), they should be given the only say in how it is used; until then, it should be up to Lexington County and should try to share it's use with as many of it's citizens as possible, regardless of affiliations.

#56403 05/18/03 01:38 PM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Bottom line difference between the CSC complex at Ballentine and the Gibson Road fields in Lexington is the fact that the Ballentine complex is PRIVATE, the Gibson Road field is PUBLIC with taxes from ALL Lexington County residents -- even those in Cayce-West Columbia -- much to the obvious chagrin of county officials.

We will continue to "stir the pot" until our needs are met in an area of the county that has been neglected for two decades now. It's only fair for our kids to have equal opportunities and if the county won't build fields in our community, then we should have access to facilities elsewhere in the county.

If Lexington Soccer Club were to build their OWN complex then this would be a moot point. The county built that facility and they have been gracious recipients, but just as if the county were to build a complex in C-WC, it would not BELONG to CRSA, even though it may serve as our home field or even if were the primary caretakers of the facility.

Until it's private, there can be no exclusion!

#56404 05/18/03 02:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They proposed a plan to build a massive complex in C-WC many years ago, but scratched it due to lack of participation oh the rec teams out there, the county isnt about club teams, they are out to make rec happy, becuase they run the rec leagues, everything that goes on they can control, but its not like that with club

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard