Print Thread
#56695 10/25/03 09:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once again the brains of the SCYSA have scheduled the Classic Cup on the same week-end of the USC- Clemson football game.Thanks alot.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Even worse, they conflict w/ Women's Raleigh Showcase which has NCAA Final 4 for women. EVERY coach in country will be there. Great recruiting opportunity for girls. Shame that we couldn't be flexible.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First round is the same weekend as the Raleigh Men's shootout so the guys are inconvenienced as well...but SCYSA at least has agreed to let those teams that are going play prior to the weekend. I know there was some discussion about the girls but they didn't budge.

State cups have to be scheduled around league play and, I believe have to be scheduled within a certain window.

Now, my dilemma - finding enough folks to volunteer to help during Classic/American cup - I imagine those folks that aren't at the fields will be at the Clemson Carolina game, ugh!!

Soccermom

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Night Game-thanks to ESPN2.Maybe SCYSA will consider this date next year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Swimmer,
Good post. It's a shame that we could be flexible for the boys, but not for the girls this year.

I heard that a couple of girls' teams actually considered ditching state cup for the exposure at Raleigh.
BLJ

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mt Pleasant ICE (and I believe James Island) opted out of state cup in order to be seen by all the college coaches that will be at NCAA Final Four in Raleigh that week end. ICE were 6 time state champion but felt it was more important to go to Raleigh.
I hear both teams may try to win U-19 State cup in spring with addition of college freshmen. That way they may still get to go to Regionals.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've also heard that the two teams are moving to the U-19 bracket. I'm not sure if it's because of conflicts or ability to win the state, but I'm astonished that SCYSA would allow this at this point in the year. I thought you had to declare "leagues" earlier, I guess that didn't apply to age.
This is different than playing-up during a season and then dropping back to your appropriate age...why wouldn't others on the boys side opt for this....or next year opt for this if Aiken still seems to have the upper hand in the 18age?

Bob
GFC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Since Raleigh applications were due in july before any games were played, I would assume the teams selected Raleigh over State Cup for the previously stated reasons - for college exposure.

I doubt SCYSA "allowed" anything. Teams just followed the rules and elected not to enter State Cup this fall. teams have to declare by 11/1 what level of state cup they want to participate in and pay a performance bond to ensure that they will show up. Since they didn't do that, they are not in state cup.
Since girls have not participated in a state cup game ( in 2003/2004 season) why should they not be eligible to try out for a team to play in U-19? Lots of kids play up all season including state cup in other age groups.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Swimmer, SCYSA didn't approve the boys teams to play at Raleigh until August. I would be pretty sure there was no discussion of a team doing this until fairly recently. I'm not challenging if they can do it, they are, it will just be interesting to see how this situation is handled down the road...
Bob

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Obviously I know some of the ICE families. They did petition the SCYSA to move at least the girls
state cup ( and other girls teams did too) to an alternate week end but were told it was too much trouble - (forget what is best for players).
I do not think SCYSA had any idea that defending state champs wouldn't want to play for another state title ( in front of NO college coaches).
It just didn't come up until ICE and JI didn't send in State Cup declarations and checks by November 1.
Glad my kids are long out of it. Lot less stressful watching from a distance.

Link Copied to Clipboard