Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#56818 11/17/03 03:42 AM
C
goal
OP Offline
goal
C
How many people are there thinking of playing in the super-y league? My daughter, Oleva, was hurt last year but I think she wants to try it this year. Anyone have any comments on how they like it last year if they played? I understand the local one is in Aiken.

#56819 12/07/03 02:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just wanted to say that the Aiken Super Y experience was great! The opportunity to play against teams at a much higher level level then previously experienced was great - nothing teaches speed of play better than playing against awesome teams like CASL. Excellent preparation for club in the fall. My DD made many new friends, & Justin is a good coach as evidenced by his two Aiken teams already (U17 Fire & Burn). The other coaches were good & dedicated.

We are looking forward to the opportunity to try out again. Does anyone know when tryouts are?

#56820 12/07/03 10:31 PM
C
goal
OP Offline
goal
C
I believe they are coming up soon. February I believe.

#56821 12/17/03 05:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What exactly IS supery-y, and what is its purpose? If one is already on a premier club team, are there major benefits of playing super-y? what is the overall cost? Sorry, I just never really paid much attention to it, but it sounds like a great idea.

#56822 12/17/03 01:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Super Y-League can provide a mixed bag. Under the umbrella of the Greenville Lions, GFC worked closely with the league for three years to play in the league. Initially we had one or two teams, this past year 6. While the intent of the league is to have the elite teams playing in the summer(sounds good) in reality, the team on the field is only a small shadow of the team that has played the previous club season. Far too often players are asked to play up one to two years, have few if any subs etc. The travel schedule is like shifting sand so player availability is questionable.
The player fees were very affordable, but the club fees and threat of penalties are incredible...
A club organizing friendlies, as GFC will do, and inviting guest players will be far more manageable and less stressful on everyone involved I can assure you.

bob

#56823 12/17/03 06:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will Greenville offer Super Y this summer? My DD played for Aiken Super Y & it was great preparation for club soccer in the fall. I think the opportunity to play against very high level teams is very much needed in SC. It will help all of the players improve & will help pull SC as a state out of the lower levels. Most SC players do not have the opportunity to play at the level that Super Y plays at.

I think Super Y is almost essential to those players who will be new to the Premier league next fall. It will give the players a preview of the calibre of teams they will play.

#56824 12/17/03 07:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To my knowledge, there will not be a Super-Y team in Greenville. GFC will however, have other opportunities that will provide the same competition, friendies vs Reg. qualified teams, some travel but no overnight ,and regular training for those interested. This will likely be a June to mid July time frame, approx 6 wks, maybe as much as 8.

Bob

#56825 12/17/03 08:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What teams have already committed to play friendlies with GFC? I find it extremely hard to believe that teams of the quality that play in Super Y will commit to friendlies with a SC club. Sorry, but it just won't be the same.

Maybe Super Y isn't for everyone, but it was right for my DD. It is a very good thing for players to get used to competing at higher level of play - something SC players really need.

Look around at the neighboring states - Super Y is very well established in GA and NC.

On a further note regarding Justin Rhodes: he demands the best from his players and his practices are challenging and are guaranteed to make you a better player.

#56826 12/17/03 08:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Taxi, glad your daughter had a good experience with Super-Y. That's what the final analysis should be. However, good teams/reg. qualified teams won't have problems getting friendlies at all. Justin doesn't need Super-Y to get games for the Fire...can't say about your daughters team, I'm not familiar with them. Good luck this year.

Bob

#56827 12/18/03 01:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What team or teams is Justin currently coaching? I believe he used to train me for ODP. If that was him he was one of the best coaches i have ever had.

#56828 12/18/03 10:52 AM
G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Wrong Justin Soccersoc12. That was Justin Collet from Spartanburg. Yes he was a good coach.

#56829 12/20/03 02:15 PM
C
goal
OP Offline
goal
C
http://www.diadoraunitedfc.com/

Site of the registration for the teams out of Aiken.

#56830 04/20/04 02:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, since last year, GFC's older A team basically WAS Greenville's Super-Y League team, and since I've seen GFC's top teams in action, I can say that no Super-Y League team would be losing much by playing a friendly against them.

#56831 05/02/04 11:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SUPER-Y IS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY ESPCIALLY FOR GIRLS..MOST GIRLS FROM THIS AREA DON'T GET TO PLAY ON A LEVEL LIKE THIS. I PLAYED LAST YEAR AND IT WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE. THERE ARE STILL SOME SPOTS OPEN ON THE TEAM FOR THE AIKEN BURN GIRLS SUPER-Y TEAMS. IF UR INTERESTED SEND ME A MESSAGE AND I'LL SEND U ALL THE INFO. JUSTIN RHODES IS VERY TALENTED COACH, I HAVE BEEN PLAYING ON HIS CLUB TEAM FOR THE PAST FOUR YEARS AS WELL.THE COACHING STAFF HE HAS EQUIPTED FOR SUPER-Y THIS SUMMER INCREDIBLE, PROLLY THE BEST AROUND

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard