Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#56870 11/20/03 03:25 PM
S
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
S
Looking at the State Cup schedules and results, I don't see the U-18 MPSC Ice. Did they not enter the State Cup?

#56871 11/20/03 03:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is from the thread "USC/Clsemso vs State Cup" - swimmer1 posted:

Mt Pleasant ICE (and I believe James Island) opted out of state cup in order to be seen by all the college coaches that will be at NCAA Final Four in Raleigh that week end. ICE were 6 time state champion but felt it was more important to go to Raleigh.
I hear both teams may try to win U-19 State cup in spring with addition of college freshmen. That way they may still get to go to Regionals.

#56872 12/01/03 08:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wonder if the insurgence of GFC's U18 team in the mix factored in to that decision. I believe that GFC beat the Ice something like 6 or 7 to nothing in Premier League. I do know this though-playing state cup certainly did not keep the college coaches away from that team. They came in droves.

#56873 12/01/03 08:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So you don't think the Ice and James Island were trying to avoid playing GFC?

Bob

#56874 12/01/03 09:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So you don't think the Ice and James Island were trying to avoid playing GFC?
Dexter, I should have refreshed prior to adding this...you are right, pretty much all the GFC girls are getting offers...

Bob

#56875 12/02/03 01:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bob, far be it from me to imply what the "dubious" intentions of the other two teams are. I do know that the reason listed as opting out of state cup for Raleigh due to college coaches sounds illogical to me. Proof in point of this is the GFC team itself. Not only are nearly all of their players going on, but the majority of the eligible players on that team will be attending established D1 programs. It just doesn't add up to me, but then again maybe it's the Stripe talking.

#56876 12/02/03 03:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Since you two didn't bother to read the whole thread when this topic was discussed ad nauseum earlier -- Raleigh's deadline to apply was in late July - before fall teams were even finished being filled. ICE had to apply to Raleigh before SCYSA even met in August to consider appeal to move State Cup ( which of course SCYSA didn't). Players voted in JULY to go to Raleigh instead of State Cup. For them, it was a better opportunity.
Congrats to GFC for getting their players in college programs, too. Obviously there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

#56877 12/02/03 01:47 PM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
S1 --

Don't try and burst their bubble with facts, dates and explantions. It's much better to just admit the harsh truth that low country soccer programs (at all levels) live in fear of the upstate and plan their schedules to the nth degree accordingly. This acknowledgement is a bitter pill, S1, but the sooner we swallow it the quicker we may be cured.

lpaf

#56878 12/02/03 03:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LPAF!
Good to hear from you. When I was responding above, I had exact same thought - why do they care?

#56879 12/03/03 02:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I really don't care if it's the "ice", James Island or another team. This really cheapens SC State Cup, the Premier League and SCYSA. Two other teams from the Reg. could have played in the very valuable Prem League had this been made public. It isn't either teams fault and I rather admire them for taking advantage of options avaiable to them, but SCYSA should have looked at the big picture and not allowed it to be done.
Sorry that when your intentions are questioned you immediately feel it's a personal attack....

Bob

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard