Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#56930 12/12/03 11:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
By the way, GFC IS making a U-19 girls team- just for those of you who are uninformed. So looks like James Island and Ice have some work to do. If they can't compete against girls their own age, there's no way hey're gonna match up again Division 1 college Freshmen. What a great game that would be, huh...

#56931 12/14/03 05:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not making a judgement one way or the other but we sometimes get so caught up in the having to have the best team or club (seems most want to use winning as a measure of that). The quality of a club is more than winning and the size of the club. I've seen posts berating Mark Berson for not having more SC "local" players on his team (which I personally wish he did) and yet many of us wish clubs were combined locally or even at the state level or at least "recruit" statewide. So eventually you could at some point with a "local" club team with few players from the local area that wins all its games and now you have the best club in the state? I'm not sure that will make club soccer as a whole better in SC. We may have a couple of elite teams which would consist of a small number of top players but what does that due to participation in the sport itself. I'm afraid many of the other players drop out of playing the sport because they feel like second class citizens. If we push our programs to be at the "professional" level then the overall sport of soccer may suffer. Just something to think about.

#56932 12/15/03 02:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
R2-

#56933 12/15/03 02:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
R2-
Sorry about that last post. Anyway, I respect your last post. On the other hand, I believe that the reason there are different levels of soccer for U-11 through U-18 is to accomodate all types of players. This thread, based on ICE, James Island, GFC, and other teams is based on Classic teams- the best league in the state. So I don't understand why trying to be the best would make other players feel like "second class citizens." If they feel that way, then there are other levels to choose from, be in travel league or even rec. The point of classic teams is to have the best team anywhere, and yes, the best means winningest. I don't understand how the quality of a club can be based on anthing BUT winning. If a team is winning, that means that everything is in place, be in better coaches, players, facilities, etc. "Having fun" doesn't make your club the best team: winning does. For those who don't care about winning, there are other leagues for that. No matter how serious teams like GFC and St. Giles are attacked for being, they win and therefore they are the best clubs in the state. For those who don't want that type of atmosphere, there are other ways to go while still having fun playing the sport. But winning is fun, and that is why so many people don't mind the commitment it takes to belong to the best club.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard