Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#56957 12/05/03 03:35 PM
B
goal
goal
B
Since you bring up the specific case of the Aiken Fire, I ask of the players one simple question.What is your goal you hope to achieve from playing with the Fire. If you have a single-minded burning desire to be national champs, then possibly playing club year round MIGHT be the way to go,but if you are looking to be the best player you can and hopefully have an opportunity to play at the next level, then I don't think playing high school will hurt you.In looking at the player bios from college teams, I see just about every player has club AND high school experience.So playing for a good high school team will not diminish your chance for a college scholarship.
In the end ,all we are really left with from our participation in sports are Memories.I believe in a vast majority of cases to skip HS soccer would deprive you of many,many fond memories that you would carry for the rest of your life.

#56958 12/05/03 03:55 PM
World Cup
World Cup
I'll save everyone the trouble of "searching" for S 1157.

S 1157

S*1157(Rat # 0404, Act # 0321)
General Bill, By Alexander
A BILL TO PROVIDE THAT STUDENTS WHO RESIDE IN AND ATTEND A PUBLIC SCHOOL IN OCONEE COUNTY AND WHO PARTICIPATE IN INTERSCHOLASTIC SOCCER OR AS A MEMBER OF A SCHOOL SOCCER SQUAD MAY PARTICIPATE IN ORGANIZED SOCCER THAT IS INDEPENDENT OF THE CONTROL OF THE SCHOOL UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS; AND TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 59-63-70 SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT DURING THE SEASON FOR ANY HIGH SCHOOL LEAGUE SPORT EXCEPT FOR FOOTBALL, A STUDENT WHILE A MEMBER OF A SCHOOL TEAM MAY PARTICIPATE ON A TEAM THAT IS
INDEPENDENT OF THE SCHOOL'S CONTROL UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS.-amended title

03/26/02 Senate Introduced and read first time SJ-5
03/26/02 Senate Referred to Committee on Education SJ-5
04/09/02 Senate Recalled from Committee on Education SJ-4
04/17/02 Senate Read second time SJ-44
04/17/02 Senate Unanimous consent for third reading on next legislative day SJ-44
04/18/02 Senate Read third time and sent to House SJ-23
04/23/02 House Introduced and read first time HJ-7
04/23/02 House Referred to Committee on Education and Public Works HJ-7
05/08/02 House Recalled from Committee on Education and Public Works HJ-33
05/14/02 House Debate interrupted HJ-69
05/15/02 House Requests for debate-Rep(s). Bales, F.N. Smith, Miller, Hayes, Moody-Lawrence, Allen, Sheheen, Mack, R. Brown, Lloyd, Breeland, G. Brown, J. Hines, J.M. Neal, Weeks, Sandifer, Easterday, Davenport, Loftis, Scott, Clyburn and Wilder HJ-79
05/22/02 House Amended HJ-116
05/22/02 House Read second time HJ-121
05/22/02 House Roll call Yeas-81 Nays-8 HJ-121
05/23/02 House Read third time and returned to Senate with amendments HJ-44
05/28/02 Senate Concurred in House amendment and enrolled SJ-51
05/30/02 Ratified R 404
06/06/02 Became law without Governor's signature
07/03/02 Effective date 06/06/02
07/03/02 Copies available
07/25/02 Act No. 321

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(A321, R404, S1157)
AN ACT TO PROVIDE THAT STUDENTS WHO RESIDE IN AND ATTEND A PUBLIC SCHOOL IN OCONEE COUNTY AND WHO PARTICIPATE IN INTERSCHOLASTIC SOCCER OR AS A MEMBER OF A SCHOOL SOCCER SQUAD MAY PARTICIPATE IN ORGANIZED SOCCER THAT IS INDEPENDENT OF THE CONTROL OF THE SCHOOL UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS; AND TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 59-63-70 SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT, DURING THE SEASON FOR ANY HIGH SCHOOL LEAGUE SPORT EXCEPT FOR FOOTBALL, A STUDENT WHILE A MEMBER OF A SCHOOL TEAM MAY PARTICIPATE ON A TEAM THAT IS INDEPENDENT OF THE SCHOOL'S CONTROL UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

Soccer participation in Oconee County

SECTION 1. For a public school in Oconee County, during the sport season for soccer, a student who resides in Oconee County, while a member of a school soccer squad or team engaged in interscholastic soccer, may become a member of or participate in an organized soccer team which is independent of the school's control so long as the participation does not interfere with the scheduled weekday league games of the school squad or team. A school or student in the county is eligible for participation in interscholastic soccer in spite of participation by a student as a member of an organized soccer team, which is independent of the school's control.

High school sports participation except football

SECTION 2. The 1976 Code is amended by adding:

"Section 59-63-70. During the season for any high school league sport except for football, a student, while a member of a school squad or team engaged in an interscholastic sport except for football, may become a member of or participate in an organized team that is independent of the school's control as long as the participation does not interfere with the scheduled league games or practices of the school squad or team. A school or student shall not be declared ineligible for participation in an interscholastic high school league sport except for football because of participation of a student as a member of an organized team independent of the school's control during the interscholastic sport's season. Any student participating on both a school squad or team and an independent squad shall have on file with the school's athletic director a statement signed by the parent or guardian indicating their child or children have permission to participate on both teams and signed by the independent coach acknowledging that the student's participation shall not interfere with the scheduled league games or practices.

The provisions of this section do not permit a student to participate on a school football team and an organized football team independent of the school's control."

Time effective

SECTION 3. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

Ratified the 30th day of May, 2002.

Became law without the signature of the Governor -- 6/6/02.

#56959 12/06/03 05:27 AM
W
goal
goal
W
Exactly!!!! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

#56960 12/07/03 04:23 AM
C
goal
goal
C
My daughter left NECSA because of that exact attitude and reason. NECSA believes JV to be a watse a time and only a social event. I have the 3 page letter from NECSA on their exact thoughts about HS soccer.

I believe you can do both but with moderation. Do tournaments only in the spring and practice on the weekends. I believe it is good for the players to get a different point of view from a different coach and players.

#56961 12/08/03 03:46 AM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
MC --

Your first two paragraphs above give great advice to young people who may not yet realize they have bargaining room when dealing with their coach, though you place a premium on logic and reason that may be excessive. Your last paragraph, however, runs the risk of opening you up to charges of soccer sedition in its suggestion that soccer may be a means to an end ("one of the reasons that you're playing soccer is to learn that there are very few black and white situations in life -- and that people in their jobs and their life have to negotiate and compromise quite often... quite often someone has a point of view that is simply different.") rather than an end in itself. In the Spanish Inquistion people were dismembered for less forceful attacks on dogma. Tread lightly... but tread...

lpaf

#56962 12/08/03 02:04 PM
B
goal
goal
B
ChapinDad, how is a U14 team going to only "play tournaments and practice on the weekends".The state cup is held in the spring.You folks are so intent on blasting Tripp, that you are not being rational.U14 is a problem because JV and the state cup season are in DIRECT conflict.Either SCYSA changes the u14 state cup to fall or you will continue to have these problems.Question. Are the St Giles and GFC u14 players, doubling with JV and club. If so, what arrangements between club and JV have been made.

#56963 12/08/03 02:54 PM
R
goal kick
goal kick
R
The U14 boys team from GFC last year stayed together last spring and did not play JV, but U14 is a tough age for both boys and girls. The boys in that age vary so much because of their maturity physically. Some are ready to play with young men 2-3 years older and some aren't even close. Since girls mature a little quicker, they can contribute right away which makes their decision tougher.

Dual participation can work. I have personally seen it in action, but as lpaf stated, you have to talk to all of the coaches involved and be upfront. At the varsity level, I do think that the HS schedule should always take preference, but I also know that we went thru it with no conflicts between HS and club for the spring. We practiced a few weekends and attended a tournament. No one got burned out because that wasn't the coaches intentions.

At the jv level, this is a tough decision for coaches. The HS coach wants to go ahead and get the player into their system and start the process of teaching them that system. But, the club probably spends more time on the technical aspects for the young player. A HS coach doesn't have a lot of time to teach a player how to trap, pass and shoot. They have a few weeks to mold the players into a unit and start playing games.

Talk to the coaches, they might be reasonable. If not, good luck in your decision. If you have to chose one over the other, niether answer is going to be perfect. You will miss something either way.

#56964 12/08/03 03:11 PM
B
goal
goal
B
Good post , RCates. again, I think the bill was intended for Varsity age players,so that the club teams(especially those in regionals could practice together)could maintain continuity.In my opinion the intent of the law was for players to play high school soccer and have this take precedence and allow the clubs to play a few tournaments and practice from time to time.

I see that you had a boy that played U14 at GFC last year. Did the club allow any players to play JV and club or were you forced to make a choice?

You also alluded to the physical problems seen at U14 with maturity issues.4-7 soccer games a week plus training are too many for u14 players.Instead of improvement from extra touches I saw a decline in the level of play of my son until the school season ended due to tired legs.

Bottom line is: each parent has to make the choice that is right for their child.

By the way congrats to 88 GFC for winning state.

#56965 12/08/03 03:27 PM
R
goal kick
goal kick
R
BDad11, thanks for the congrats, I actually have 2 sons on that team.

I don't remember jv soccer really being an issue. A couple of the kids were considering it, but I don't think strongly. I never heard of the coach saying not to play. If he did, I never heard it. Most of the players wanted to defend the cup from the previous year, so they were pretty focused. It didn't happen but they tried.

I think that you are right that too many games and training every week for 3-4 months is just too much for anybody. The body does need time to replenish itself after training and games.

The players and parents (both need to be there) just need to talk to the coaches. If a compromise can't be reached, then they need to make the decision that is best for the player involved. That decision won't be the same for every player.

#56966 12/08/03 04:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All of these comments pertain to how the law impacts playing U14 spring club ball and JV ball. The law also permits the U-15 to U-18 premier, or better challenge teams club teams to stay together on a limited basis. They practice on a very limited basis, and they then play in a few out of state tournaments in states that play high school ball in the fall. This type scheduling allows the players to still participate fully in high school ball. It also allows the premier or higher level challenge team to continue to improve as a team and be better prepared for the important fall season. But for a club director to mandate that a player cannot play for his club and participate in high school ball at the same time, is against the spirit of the game and the desire of the individual player to have the opportunity to challenge him or herself to be the best they can be.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard