Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#57013 01/08/04 11:55 PM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
bruin --

This is probably an example of a case where a round robin tournament might well have selected a different #2. In years past SCYSA has used that format, but now doesn't, for what ever their reason may be (some have suggested to limit total games played in a weekend). I (somewhat in jest) suggested much earlier that a baseball style playoff (best 4 of 7, or 3 of 5) would best insure that fine tuning could be done to determine the places. My system might well have aided MPSC, though the games might still be going on.

lpaf

#57014 01/09/04 12:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know of any other state that has a best of 3, 4 or whatever to determine a champ. HS Football, basketball don't have it either. Only baseball has that, and that's only because an ancient Geek Lugoff God named Balls said it should be that way. But seriously, after the 8 seeds play their 1st round games and there are 4 left then it always should be #1 seed v. 4 and 2 v. 3. Sometimes, as in basketball, football the best matches are the semis and the final may not produce the top 2 teams. You can't blame the playoff system for your 3rd place finish. Thats too easy; you have to win the important games, and I feel sure that MPSC would be state champ right now had they taken care of business in the semi.

#57015 01/09/04 09:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Everyone is saying what if MPSC beat St. Giles and that they would be CSC, well MPSC didn't and CSC is #2. How can you say CSC would lose to MPSC when no one has seen them play this year. I agree it would be a good match but stats show CSC would win. MPSC didn't take care of business in semi's like CSC did so end of discussion. CSC IS #2

#57016 01/15/04 08:19 PM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
Why is state challenge cup never held in Columbia? Isn't it still the state capital?

lpaf

#57017 01/15/04 09:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The State Challenge Cup rotates every year from the Lowstate, Midstate and Upstate. A club in each area has to "bid" on the cup. I do remember a recent State Challenge Cup that was held at the Ballentine Fields. My daughter was U11-14 so they played in May. First date was cancelled due to flooding of the fields by rain! We all had to come return... I think it went to the Upstate last year, and then Lowstate this year. So next year should be Midstate.

#57018 01/15/04 09:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Didn't the Fusion beat the Impulse there 2 years ago for the title?

#57019 01/15/04 09:33 PM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
S! --

Fusion lost to GFC in Greenville in 2002, beat them in Summerville 2003 (this year). I thought I remembered the 2001 finals as having been in Summerville (against St. Giles?) but that may be off by a year. I don't remember ever having been in Columbia for a state cup, but my memory chips are old and replacement parts not available, I'm told. If I'm off target in this question then thanks for setting me straight.

lpaf

#57020 01/15/04 10:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think you don't remember because the fields were horrible at Ballentine. Too short, too narrow and not level and these were used for upper age games...I had nearly put it out of my mind...there really should be some consideration given to the age that will play on a field prior to it being used...if I recall, and I think I do?, the age below my boys was on a larger field, figure that!

Bob

#57021 01/15/04 11:14 PM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
BobF --

I mostly remember how hard the Ballentine fields were. Also, I think it was there that a player's mother lost a half carat diamond out of her engagement ring. On one of the fields near the railroad track. She saw it fall, found it, and as she was telling the story of how lucky she was to find it another parent bumped her hand and it fell again. We cordoned off about a 15 x 15 foot area with duct tape but the stone was never heard from again despite the best efforts of all involved. (I don't guess that has anything to do with the "Ballentine - White Rock" designation.)

Speaking of rocks on fields, I think the Waccamaw fields in Myrtle Beach win the prize for most concealed rock-like structures, ie bricks and pieces of bricks. Built behind the outlet mall on land previously used for brick manufacturing we pulled up enough bricks and pieces of bricks on these fields one year in a tournamnent weekend to build a nice retaining wall for Balentine. A pity we didn't think to do it.

lpaf

#57022 01/16/04 11:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CSC has improved the Ballantine complex significantly. Addition of a permanent building for concessions with indoor plumbing, permanent lighting for two fields, additional retaining fences, the paving of the parking area, and additional sodding to cover red clay areas. The place is shaping up.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard