Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
LPAF: Re: The "Aiken anomoly".

I'm not familiar with Aiken, because, like you, I tend to focus on the girls' side of SC soccer. However, looking at the data, it seems as if Aiken has had the core of an extremely good team that has progressed each year for the last three years (U-17B 2003, U-16B 2002, U-14B and U-15B 2001). Of course, in 2000 Aiken was state champions in U-17B and runner up in U-15B, so for the four year period the theory that "it was just one great set of kids" only holds over a three year period.

Of course, Justin Rhodes deserves a tremendous amount of credit -- from what I hear he is a fantastic coach. I think that's the heart of all of this -- a great coach anywhere can make a huge difference -- largely regardless of demographics.

Statistics can sometimes do a good job of handling the big picture, but the more granular the situation the more anomolies you tend to find. Here's a case in point - in the last four years Lexington's girls classic club (which has been roundly critized in this forum by me and others) has had more state champions in the girls area than CSC and CFC combined (2 versus 1). Now -- does this mean that Lexington's girls club is better than CSC/CFC's club on the girls' side? I think not -- as almost everyone I know thinks not -- even the coaches in the Lexington club send their daughters over to CSC/CFC to play. What occurred were that there were a few coaches from the Lexington side who were extremely talented. It's worth noting that none of the state championship coaches from Lexington coach in that club anymore.

Bottom line: if I were to start a club, I might skimp on a lot of things -- but I'd make sure that I spent as much as possible and worked as hard as possible on getting the best coaches -- because that in my opinion trumps everything else.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Justin Rhodes took over a very good Aiken Fire team that had not quite caught a 3-time state champion SGU team in that age group from U11-U13. He recruited players from Georgia, the Columbia area, and a key player from N Augusta (Eric Bafour) that obviously filled in the missing pieces in the U14 season. I am not aware of the changes after that, except for the addition of Jamal Geathers, who gives the Fire, with Eric, a 1-2 punch up top that is probably as good as any in the nation. The Fire have maintained their edge ever since.

Goal
Goal
MC, my dealings with Mr. Rhodes does not endear him to me, so I don't view him as a "great coach". It seems to me you make very valid points concerning girls soccer, but that boys soccer is not your forte'.

Many boys coaches at the club level are lauded for their on-field success after taking over programs built by others (one at NECSA comes to mind).

The Fire is a very good team and have brought great notoriety to S.C. club ball, but Rhodes is the lesser part of that equation. If all coaches housed the "star players" then many others could be successful as well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Folly,
Greenville County is a huge one geographically. It stretchs southward to Laurens County and to the north all the way to North Carolina. Aside from Greenville, Mauldin,Simpsonville, and Greer very little soccer comes from other parts of the county. I know it is surprising the population of Greenville- one would think it would be much higher.

The last take on Aiken was right. Justin came in and filled in some holes on that team, but he did not do it all locally. I think 5 or 6 kids on that team are from Georgia. When you're national runnerups you can draw pretty much anybody you want.

S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
Cola Fan: You're absolutely correct, I know almost nothing about boys soccer -- but I do try to learn and I do appreciate what you wrote. I wouldn't know Justin Rhodes if he slapped me. And I'm sure that he's irritated and angered a lot of people along the way of winning for so many years in a row.

But let me ask you a question: another person posted that this guy took over a team that wasn't winning state championships and has not only won in the state but also had a lot of success both regionally and nationally. What else should this guy do to be appropriately labeled a "fantastic coach"?

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
I've read with great interest the debate and conversation on this subject. I've tried to make notes and relay my thoughts on this, so please bear with me as this is lengthy.

I too, would like to see more collaboration to form top level teams in the Columbia market to compete at the regional/national level as well as a return for smaller, community clubs to retain the initial purpose for classic league soccer as it was defined perhaps a decade ago -- to offer better training and development of players that could not get that kind of attention at the recreational level.

I believe that CSC has positioned itself as a major player in the future of the state's club soccer structure with the key component -- field control. Now that they have their complex in full swing, they have now been able to concentrate on recruiting and retaining viable coaches that always carry the promise of attracting the top level players. I believe that Eddie Crosby is truly committed to the overall advancement of the Columbia Soccer Club and what it can offer the premier players in the metro area.

I also feel that the first push for these "super teams" should come at the U14 or U15 age group and really not much before that period. I think the other clubs in the capital city (Congaree Rapid, Lexington, NECSA, etc.) could continue as developmental grounds based on community and geo-centric ties. CSC could continue to field challenge/classic level teams as well in those upper age groups to fulfill their duty to their local players that don't make those elite teams. These clubs could also continue to field high school aged teams that wish to play club soccer, but are not quite good enough to play for the elite teams.

From a high school coach's perspective, which I admit forms 90% of my opinion, this is the basic makeup for most of our teams. Only a few selected areas of the state enjoy prep teams made up of several premier league or ODP level players. The majority of the teams are comprised of players that like/love to play the game and are average overall in ability. That's what makes it such a challenge/reward at the high school level, when you're forced to do your very best with the hand that you are dealt! I would encourage capable players to tryout and play for the "regional/premier" teams because that makes my high school component that much stronger. The ones that don't make those teams or have the ability/means to compete at that level would still have the option to play on their local clubs "community based" teams. I do not believe the "B" teams that are formed by many of the larger clubs are as beneficial as those in the local clubs based on my players' experiences that have tried that avenue. For some reason, the "B" level labels those teams and they are often overlooked within that club (coaches, etc.) as the second-rate team in that age group, whereas those players on a local club often become the "bigger fish in smaller pond" and at least have an opportunity to lead and contribute to a team rather than play on a second-fiddle squad.

While I endorse a move for the Columbia area's top players to gravitate towards CSC and the opportunities that they can offer, I also think that we should push for a restructuring of the rest of the classic league soccer populous.

The top-talent teams usually only number 5-8 across the state (rarely are there examples of 10 true statewide level teams in a given age group) and generally are dominated by the super clubs: CSC, GFC, MPSC, NECSA, SGUSC. I believe that 70-80% of the players that make up the rest of classic league soccer should return to regional play (Upper State / Mid-District / Coastal) or at least a refined alternative to PMSL and SCSCL. Many of the "challenge" level teams often just become cannon-fodder for the high powered teams due to overzealous team expectations, club/parental/player prestige, etc. I think that teams should have to qualify for the different levels of play and perhaps limit the number of SCSCL teams to 8, perhaps in a qualifying tourney the first weekend of August each year. Along with the 2 premier teams, you have 10 elite teams in the state. With this number, you easily have a minimum of 14 games simply by playing each member twice and you can always downsize this match number to 8-12 should you wish or pending the number of playing dates. At any rate, the quality of the matches would increase as each match's importance.

This would allow for the majority of the classic level to return to more teams and generally there are 5-10 teams in a given geographical region across the state which makes for easy play within a more appropriate proximity. (I still cannot figure out why 10 year-olds from Charleston should have to play in Greenville for "quality" matches twice on a Saturday). Simply play their regional league schedule and compete in tourneys to augment the schedule -- much like the high school arrangement. Friendlies would also be encouraged amongst the local clubs to supplement the schedule should teams wish. Also, this would allow for the return of true regional tourneys (i.e. Mid-District Tournament) which always gave teams a purpose and reward for their efforts and brought closure to the fall season.

I would also like to see more alignment of the high schools pertaining to the local clubs and their affiliations. I have long admired youth baseball's "American Legion" system, in which certain schools only played with certain American Legion sponsored Post teams. This fosters community spirit and gives a solid pool of players in terms of numbers and often in ability to form very competitive teams. This could be accomplished in this arrangement based on a Columbia area model of schools with fairly close attendance similarities:

Lexington Soccer Club -- Batesburg-Leesville (2A), Gilbert (2A), Lexington (4A), White Knoll (4A)
Congaree Rapid Soccer Association -- Airport (3A- in '04), Brookland-Cayce (3A), Dreher (3A), A.C. Flora (3A), Swansea (2A)
Columbia Soccer Club -- Chapin (2A), Columbia High (2A), Dutch Fork (4A), Irmo (4A), Ballentine/White Rock will open soon
NECSA - Richland Northeast (4A), Ridge View (4A), Spring Valley (4A), Blythewood will open soon

As I stated earlier, these are simply some thoughts, but I have given much thought to several of the posts that have been made on this board concerning this subject. Regardless of opinion on my take, it will take the sincere shedding of egos to make any of the aforementioned work or any semblance of reader-revisions come to fruition.

Kevin Heise
Boys Soccer Coach, Brookland-Cayce High School
Director of Coaches, Congaree Rapid Soccer Association

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mark-
I know that you are disappointed with the Lexington Classic girls club but the club is truly trying to move forward. Maybe some of the information that you have received or perceived is not necessary the truth, however you are intitled to your opinion.
The statement in your post,"even the coaches in the Lexington club send their daughters over to CSC/CFC to play" is very misleading. Of the club's 20 coaches, one Assistant Coach's older daughter plays on a CSC team while the youngest daughter remains with a Lexington team. So you see it isn't "all the coaches".
The Lexington club has taken many steps in reaching their goal. One of which is adding Alan Riches to their coaching staff.
Progress has been slow, however it is moving forward.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One other comment about Rhodes. He is indeed a great boys coach and has recruited great players.
But his organization and discipline are his main attributes to success. He does not succeed just because he has great players. They have to be molded into a successful team, and he has done that with the Fire. But beyond that, he coached the Aiken Burn U17 girls to undefeated season in challenge and the final 4 in state cup.
Kevin,
I just wish other DOCs had your cooperative spirit of seeking what is best for Cola area soccer, and that you endorse CRSA players in their attempts to achieve the premier/elite level of play. As you said, when those guys come back to join your high school team they will be much better prepared to excel at the high school level.
CSC has started to strive for the best level of play among premier/challenge players, while still keeping a real focus on the fun and enjoyment for its U10 to U14 players. It is a thrill to watch the joy and excitement in the U10 players when they score a goal or even just take the field. Cola. area soccer would greatly improve and be enriched if all the clubs NECSA/LSC/CSC/CRSA would reach a common understanding or cooperative spirit, through some form of merger/consolidation/collaborative efforts. Just acknowledge what you can and can't do as a club. But will it happen????
I would love to see at least CRSA and CSC make the first step because I know their respective DOCs, Crosby & Heise, have such vision and appreciation for what it takes to produce the most competitive teams at all levels. If some form of consolidation does not take place, then GFC and St. Giles will continue to dominate in the overall levels; but even more, if MPSC and SSC ever hook up you will see yet another formidable club down in the low country.

S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
Breezin: Thanks for writing -- I'm actually happy that someone is attempting to take a position defending the club. I admire your courage in taking what appears to be a minority position on this board. I kind of wish I had the anonymous screen name that many do when I get into things that some might say are "heated" -- but at the very least it should encourage me to be careful of what I say. I wrote this and then debated with myself for a long time before posting it -- but I think that the subjects under discussion while specific to the Lexington club could at the very least throw some light on what I see overall in South Carolina as a relatively weak club structure.

As you note, I am disappointed in the Lexington Classic girls club -- not angry, not bitter, just disappointed. I'm obviously not the only one on this board - as someone noted, it seems that Lexington County is demographically a "sleeping giant" with respect to soccer -- but the operative term here is "sleeping".

This isn't personal or spiteful. One of my children was fortunate enough to be on both challenge cup state championship teams the club has earned and she had some truly wonderful coaches in the club. We've never had a playing time, monetary, or any other specific issue with the club in terms of my children.

What I want to do is to take a moment and go through your message step-by-step so I make sure not to miss anything in your note.

>>I know that you are disappointed with the Lexington Classic girls club but the club is truly trying to move forward.<<

I'm not sure what this means. If you mean that the club has meetings and talks a lot about getting better, then I believe you; I'm just not sure how this is different than anyone else and how this will produce a highly competitive club. If mean that the club is taking specific steps to compete at the highest levels at the state, regional, and national levels -- i.e., benchmarking the best clubs in the state and nation and taking hard steps to reach this level -- then I'd like you to spell this out as well.

>>Maybe some of the information that you have received or perceived is not necessary the truth, however you are intitled to your opinion.<<

What you might want to do is to take everything I've said or anyone else has said, and specifically refute it. What you read on any message board is the tip of the iceberg -- you can be certain that when parents get together and talk that you'll only hear more of this type of thing.

For what it's worth, given that I financed their 4v4 league this summer and have provided services from companies I control on a gratis basis -- you can rest assure that if I have trouble perceiving the truth, then others might as well -- so it might be worth the time to clarify any of the many misperceptions that may exist.

I raise my involvement to let you know that I'm not someone who stood on the outside throwing stones -- I've actually tried to help. I hope the club can recover -- but with 4+ years with children in the club, what I see are the same issues keep cycling through.

>>The statement in your post,"even the coaches in the Lexington club send their daughters over to CSC/CFC to play" is very misleading. Of the club's 20 coaches, one Assistant Coach's older daughter plays on a CSC team while the youngest daughter remains with a Lexington team. So you see it isn't "all the coaches".<<

I never said "all the coaches" -- and if I mis-implied that every coach, with every child, did so -- then I apologize. In fact, "daddy-ball" is rampant at the club particularly at the younger ages -- which makes sense given the all-volunteer structure of the club. I have tremendous respect for everyone who gives their time and resources to try to help in this.

At the same time, it's important to note that the coach you're talking about has an older child playing at the college level who went to CFC. It's also important to note that one of the two state championship coaches who left to go to CFC also has daughters there. Finally, one other very good coach left the club a few years ago to go to CFC and took his daughter. I'm also not including assistant coaches who have left and put their children at CSC/CFC. Again -- I apologize if I misled anyone -- but I believe the situation is a bit more dire than the one case which you call out.

>>The Lexington club has taken many steps in reaching their goal. One of which is adding Alan Riches to their coaching staff.
Progress has been slow, however it is moving forward.<<

I think it's wonderful that the club hired an A licensed coach but the club did so only after unexpectedly losing the second of those coaches that won the club its second state championship. Portraying this as a proactive as opposed to reactive move is a bit misleading. However, I sincerely hope that the club will use this resource not just with one team but to help the club restructure its operations from the highest point to the lowest point.

But let's get at the bottom line of your post -- that progress is moving forward slowly but it is moving forward. You could be right -- and I honestly hope you are -- but I and a lot of other folks don't see it. In fact, the club seems to be in a slow motion state of denial about the issues that face it. I've seen many of the better players abandon the club -- and I've spoken to parent after parent who have said the things to me that I'm saying here.

At the same time, I think that the club could salvage all of this by having a clear mission of what it wants to accomplish and then operationalizing it. Look -- it's okay if a club decides it doesn't want to play at the highest level -- I'd have a lot of respect for a club that wanted to win in the classic league only and forthrightly put forward that this was all it was going to do and made it happen. What I want for SC soccer, to be competitive at a regional and national level, is ***NOT*** what everyone wants -- and I completely respect that. But I think that it helps everyone when clubs decide what it is that they do want, and then do what it takes to achieve it -- rather than muddling through.

Goal
Goal
Kevin, please remember the private schools in Columbia as well. Cardinal Newman and Ben Lippen are solid soccer programs. Hammond and Heathwood Hall are improving with good coaches!

Breezin, Mr. Riches did a poor job at USC with the women's team and is now coaching club soccer solely. His playing D3 soccer in West Virginia (way behind S.C. in soccer) is just like intramurals.

4soccer, Mr. Rhodes is a Quantico Marine and it shows on and off the field (that's not always a good thing). Nothing more to be said.

MC, central Richland County needs to be included with your thoughts about Lexington County, because this area has always been ignored by NECSA and at the time Irmo SC, Chapin SC, Lexington SC, and had to form Midlands!

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard