Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Some people in football would like to see youngsters learning the game as it is played in 'real life'. Eleven-a-side with 3-feet tall goalkeepers standing in front of full-size nets.

Funnily enough, it wasn't the players who wanted this, but their coaches and parents.

About a decade ago the FA in Britain moved from 11v11 to 8v8 with smaller goals for younger age groups. No longer would the more physically mature players have dominance in a game whilst others could count on one hand how many times they would touch the ball.

To read the full article, please click the Soccernet link provided!

O
OPG Offline
throw in
throw in
O
Small sided games for the younger ages are a must. I currently live in OH (hope to be getting back to the Low Country soon), and have seen first hand the results over the past five years in increased player development with my daughters age group ( current U-13). At the U-10 level, modified version of the game (similar to micro Soccer). U-11 & U12 8 v 8, U-13 full side. The more touches on the ball, the greater chance for individual skill development in a game environment, gradually supporting a greater appreciation for the tactical aspect of the game and better decision making ability. This is the format for our Classic Leagues. At the Premier/Challange level, the full sided games are introduced at the U-12 level. Is this the format that is currently follwed in SC?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe this is the exact format that is followed here in South Carolina, and for good reason. It definately helps to teach skill at an earlier age...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Dutch also adopted this for their youth soccer. What develops skill is touches of the ball. Strategy and tactics can be learned later.

Link Copied to Clipboard