Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#57158 01/05/04 02:19 AM
L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
Which came first, the player or the team?

lpaf

#57159 01/05/04 06:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Neither - the ball came first. This is how it was told by my grandfather as I, a little boy, sat in his lap:

Many many many moons times 4,876,890,037 ago(give or take), these prehistoric type guys were standing around (I can't remember if he said it was in Macedonia or somewhere in South Georgia) trying to rub sticks and rocks together for who knows what reason. Suddenly the earth shook and jarred some rocks above them lose, and they watched a big one roll over their best friend Umbro and into one of their garages, which gave them an idea of futbol.

An interesting side to that story which surely will add to your cocktail hour chat was that their deceased friend Umbro was wearing a yellow shirt with some really really short black shorts that day. In order to honor their fallen comrad, three people who could not run well or see, were designated to wear that very same outfit during their exercise (only two were needed if it there were only girls out there - I can't remember why, but unfortunately that tradition carried over to our modern world).

Over the years, these people in pursuit of their new love, had trouble finding places to play. The hunters were very protective of their land and did their best to keep them off. Other problems came from some cavemen (who wanted that same land) who insisted that the rock should be shaped differently and that there also be an excessive amount of breaks in their play.

But as most of us know, their persistance certainly paid off, and soccer is largely still ignored today by major corporations in the US.

#57160 01/05/04 07:21 PM
L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
BLJ --

A very correct answer to a rhetorical question. Thanks for a moment of levity.

lpaf

#57161 01/05/04 07:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WOW Is there NOTHING else to discus here that we resort to this type os nonsense!!!!!!!! God what do you people do all day!!!!!!! UNREAL!!!!!! Can I hve those three minutes of my life back!!!! thanks

Shearer

Down with the Liverpool!!!!!

#57162 01/05/04 07:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shearer,
You are so right!! Life is too short to enjoy even 3 mins. of levity!! Every min. we should engage in serious discussions about the boring state of our lives and the conditions of our world, and Britney's first marriage. Shearer, you are the supreme guru and I hope you can continue to amaze us with your wisdom and intellect of life. May we all attempt to be as focused on life as you are. But, if I may say, you should be a little more focused on your spelling--hve??? os?? discus?? (I do believe a discus is thrown in the Olympics) What do you do all day? crossword puzzles?? I think not.
Just one comment to BLT-- I know your story well and I believe when the earth shook loose the rocks, and after one rock killed Umbro, another rock did strike Shearer's great-great-great grandpappy upside the head, and created a second ball of soccer, known as the stupid smiley-face ball.

#57163 01/05/04 08:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
4soccer

Well done! Good One. Get with the program.........
Britney's marriage has already been annulled! Come on! Sorry I interupted your story telling time please forgive me! Go back to they story telling time and have a nice nap after milk-n-cookies in your little play world! Bye for know oops I mean now!

#57164 01/05/04 08:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shearer, I do not have the power to give you your 3 minutes back, but I will suggest that you consider taking a baby aspirin a day to prolong your years - be sure talk to your physician first. May cost you a small $20 physician office copay, but it would be well worth it.

4Soccer, you bring up a very interesting legend yourself. The story of the stupid smiley face haunts me even today, as I encounter its jaundiced image from time to time on I-26 at several exits, as well as at other various places in the Southeast.

lapf, why, why, why did you have to open this insane can o' worms??? Oh yeah, whose got the milk 'n cookies?

#57165 01/05/04 09:35 PM
L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
4S --

Please note I employed the socceratic method in this topic, so named for the 5th century BC greek philosopher Soccerates.

lpaf

#57166 01/05/04 11:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lpaf,
Good idea to use that method, but it may confuse Shearer. What year did Soccerates play for BC? Was Heise the coach then?

#57167 01/05/04 11:15 PM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
OK-OK-OK.

Funny enough guys/gals! I get in from conditioning tonight and see my name associated with the Girls Soccer thread concerning ancient Greek civilization and a player named 'Socrates'. Didn't he play for Brazil in the late 1970s and 80s? If so, maybe his son is on his way to play for the Bearcats -- Lord knows we could use him!

You people must really be "jonesing" from soccer-itis!

PS - You can't touch a ball for high school until Monday, 1/26 (don't break the rules)!

PSS - Here's your [Wink] !!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard