Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#57335 02/13/04 03:14 PM
S
coach
coach
S
>>[a.foley] Mark, in response to some of the "points" you raised RE my earlier post.<<

I must have really done a poor job if you used scare quotes around the term “points”. Again, I apologize up front for any ignorance that I might show here. Thanks for taking the time to respond and help me learn.

>>[a.foley] Ok, you can throw numbers, rankings and statistics at me all you want for I do not care for such things.<<

I now understand your dislike of quantitative metrics, so I’ll try to use qualitative means. When you talk about rivalries, there are some of us [not all of us by any means, but at least a few people] who would like to see South Carolina in various capacities be able to better compete with the rest of the country – or at least a few states in our geographic region. That was really all I was trying to show using numbers, ranking, and statistics.

>>[a.foley] Your argument was holding up quite well until your whole "field" thing - have you ever played the game?? Do you know what its like to try to play a crisp passing/possession game on a cut up or poor field??<<

Here’s a conundrum: is it more difficult to play a crisp passing/possession game if you don’t know how or is it more difficult to play a crisp passing/possession game on a cut up or poor field?

Actually, what I said, and I tried to be very careful, was that a club’s success had almost [note that term “almost”] nothing to do with fields and almost [note that term “almost” again!] everything to do with coaches.

If you disagree, and you believe that fields are more important than coaches, or even that fields are close to being on par with coaches, I wish you’d articulate your reasoning so I could learn from you.

>>[a.foley] Oh, by the by - when you commented on LPAF questioning on why the clubs should merge you casually said for the "same reason that companies merge: to be able to quickly scale and to realize cost savings. The scaling could be associated with more recreational and classic players, more fund-raising, and more regionally and nationally competitive teams. The cost savings could be associated with coach/team ratios, overhead payment, and the like – it’s just a matter of doing a pareto analysis of costs and then working on the costs that add the least value." I implore you, and all others involved in CHILDRENS SPORTS<<

You dropped out on this last paragraph [a verb, senator, give us a verb! – an old Garry Trudeau jibe at Ted Kennedy - and please note that I'm completely kidding - the number of typographic, syntactic, and semantic errors I make I'm sure far exceeds everyone on this board] but I think I know where you’re going. Look – there’s no doubt that when you get on the field you have to remember that soccer is a youth sport [I’m not sure at U-19 or even U-18 I’d call it a child’s sport, but that’s not germane to this argument] and behave accordingly. In point of fact, since the “customer” of these clubs is the player and the paying parent, I don’t know how you do otherwise in all facets of a club.

But there are a lot of parents, paying a lot of money, to have their children play in club soccer. These parents have the right to demand that they get the absolute best value for their dollar. The way to do that isn’t to remember at a club’s business level [e.g., it’s board] that this is a child’s sport and then childishly handle the club’s finances. Instead, the way to do this is to use all business techniques possible associated with maximizing revenue [e.g., charity, tournaments, merchandising, etc.] while also making sure that every dime spent is reviewed ruthlessly with respect to the value that it brings the player.

The people talking about doing this merger have to take into account fiscal issues – because it is through fiscal policy that the highest possible amount of value can be delivered to each player – whether that player is recreationally- or competitively-oriented.

Please let me know where I’ve made mistakes or missed the point in this.

#57336 02/13/04 03:20 PM
goal
goal
Oh my god!!!!!!

I have now seen the bottom of humanity - I graciously withdraw from this "argument" - the post about Mexican soccer said it all - look BIG PICTURE kids - mexicans, brazilians, argentines etc have barely got a ball between themselves when they're kids - thats how the game is learned and played in the rest of the world - just let the kids play - and whoever that was with their Mr.Myagi training "wax on/wax off" method - do us all a favour and get off the stage - soccer is a simple game complicated by idiots.

Af

#57337 02/13/04 03:30 PM
S
coach
coach
S
a.foley: Obviously I can't say or do anything to cause you to engage in a debate if you choose to withdraw; however, I did want you to know that while I may very well be an "idiot" and the "bottom of humanity" I believe I am in this state not due to stupidity but due to ignorance. So let me repeat what I put in the last message:

quote:

If you disagree, and you believe that fields are more important than coaches, or even that fields are close to being on par with coaches, I wish you’d articulate your reasoning so I could learn from you.

#57338 02/13/04 03:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The bottom of humanity?

#57339 02/13/04 03:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Can't we ALL just get along???????"
-Rodney King (before he won his million dollar case)

#57340 02/13/04 03:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I propose to Kyle Heise that a. foley and Mark be relegated to their own soccer league so that the rest of us soccer addicts can focus on the game!

#57341 02/13/04 03:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
4soccer,what is the burning question you have about soccer that is going unanswered due to the discussion on this thread?

#57342 02/13/04 04:13 PM
S
coach
coach
S
4soccer: If you'll tell me how I'm transgressing I'll try to alter my behavior to conform to acceptable standards. I don't want to be the Janet Jackson of this message board! [Smile]

#57343 02/13/04 04:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This particular thread was started about the GFC/St.Giles merger but some of you have taken it way off track. And Mark, please don't expose your breasts, unless you have them partially covered with tassles.

#57344 02/13/04 04:50 PM
S
coach
coach
S
4soccer: Thanks for helping me understand what the problem was; I can and will correct it immediately.

Getting back to what you and others have noted, let me ask you a question. What in the world could make one or more of the major Columbia area soccer clubs merge? Is this St. Giles/GFC news enough of an impetus, or would it take something else, or is it just an impossibility?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard