Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congratulations to the following Columbia Soccer Club players who've been offered scholarship to play college soccer. These young men have all made verbal commitments to their respective colleges or universities:

Austin Moody - GK, Class of 05, USC
Brian Przybla - D, 05, USC
Spencer Lewis - MF, 05, USC

David Newton - MF, 05, Clemson

Dane Whitman - MF, 05, Coastal Carolina

From the class of 06:
Zach Prince, F, 06, USC
Andrew Evans, F, 06, USC

Also, there are a host of players (boys and girls) with offers and visits scheduled/pending. Congratulations to these student athletes for all their hard work, effort and dedication to soccer and CSC.

Goal
Goal
Wow! If all those players were developed by CSC congratulations! If not, where did they play before joining CSC? Where do they play high school? Still an impressive number any way you cut it.

B
goal
goal
B
This did not happen by accident. I have seen first hand how hard the CSC staff has worked to promote their players.Great job by the players mentioned and the coaching staff.

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
EC --

Congratulations to CSC for actively supporting their student athletes. Isn't it a bit premature, however, for HS juniors to be commiting to colleges (and vice versa)?

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CSC's 18's should do very well this year with 5 Division 1 signees. They should be favored to win state cup.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would have to agree. Why shouldn't they be the favorite given the amount of talent that Eddie has produced? USC, Clemson, and the like should be so fortunate. I am certainly glad to see that the in-state schools have secured some of the best soccer players our state has to offer. Good luck to these boys. Good Job Eddie!

brace
brace
The game this weekend against CESA Challenge will be a good indicator. If they don't win convincing against them then it would be hard to call them the favorite against the CESA premeier team.

B
goal
goal
B
I wouldn't totally write off Aiken yet. I saw them play last weekend in a premier match against Weston Fla and they looked pretty good to me. They are very short on numbers, but if things break right they could be a tough out.

Brace
Brace
Whoa, I didn't know all of those players grew up playing at CSC. Newton is from here in Mt. Pleasant and Pryzbla is from Sumter, I think??? Good job to CSC for attracting quality talent, but I believe that CSC is not solely to thank for their collegiate ability -- good job to the local clubs they grew up in and their high school programs as well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Austin Moody and Zach Prince are CSC bred players. They have grown up in the columbia program. As for Spencer Lewis, he came from Beaufort and played for Irmo High school last year.

C
goal
goal
C
I think the promotion of the players speaks volumes for the CSC program. Eddie making a post here about the players is a small example of what CSC does for the players. They all may have come from different places but CSC's dedication to the player is what helped them to be seen. That's all a player can ask for, because the player has to have the ability to make the team, no club can do that for them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed Chapin Dad. Nothing wrong with promoting players or club. For the record, Newton is from Charleston and played with MPSClast season. Whitman from Fort Mill and has kicked around from GFC, to Northside, to Charlotte, to CSC. Spencer played with Giles last season. Przybyla is from Sumter and has been with CSC two or three seasons.Moody is a CSC and Cola. boy.

I heard they lost to CESA's B team 2-0. How does that happen?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great Points made by Chapin Dad and Dexter. As for the supposed loss by CSC to CESA, I am quite sure that is not correct. Did you misread that somewhere? It had to have been a misprint. There is no way that a team that talented and developed by Eddie would ever lose to a "B" team.

brace
brace
Coach: Do you really believe that or are you just trying to ruffle some feathers? Any team can lose to another on any given day, especially when they are in the same overall category (Challenge League). A true "Coach" should know that. The "B" team is coached by Pearse Tormey, and regardless whether you hate him or love him, he is a very good coach and his teams do well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Summerville has 3 games left so that order may change.

I don't understand the whole B thing. This is semantics. The CESA Challenge team is the second team at CESA, hence the "B" as that is the second letter of the alphabet. There is no third team at CESA. The CSC "B" or "Challenge" or whatever else you want to call it must be playing in Pelham Masonic.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CornerKick, thank you for the revelation. My point throughout my posts was actually covered by Dexter and Chapin Dad. While CSC has served their players well regarding their collegiate plans, they are not solely responsible for the development of some of these players. Again, as stated by Dexter, many of these players have been taught how to play by others and have chosen to play at CSC at the end of their youth careers, and it has obviously worked out for them. The posts, while lined with sarcasm, was meant to draw attention to the difference between promotion and development. In your defense, you were questionably focused on enlightening me on the definition of a true coach and parity. By the way, how is Pearse's campaing going?

brace
brace
This requires a much longer than I can give at this point, and other than the "B" team coment that you made, I agree with your CSC statements and Coach Crosby. Now, if the "campaign" comment is a jab towards me, then you threw that at the wrong person. There are others that are better suited for that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Guys,

Thank you for all the comments posted above. Zach, Austin and Brian have played with CSC for many years. While at CSC there have been many staff coaches instramental in their development... as well as non staff members. (ie. ODP, High school, etc.) Likewise, with the other players mentioned: Lewis, Evans, Whitman and Newton. There have been numerous influences in their young lives that there can attribute to their success, including their own personal hard work and effort. It would be absurd to say, even with the "home grown" players, that CSC was ONLY place developing any player. We all must accept and realize our roles and I'm sure that each and every player is truly grateful for the guidance each and everyone of us have given them. With that being said, on behalf of the kids, "thank you."
Also, I'd like to thank and congratulate the players again, who've grown up in the system as well as those who've choosen CSC to start/continue their development.
Best of Luck to all of you: teams, players and coaches in their quest to State Cup this fall.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WOW!!! CESA CHALLENGE 2: CSC BURNOUTS NAVY 0. How is it these 5 players are so good (D1 capable), yet they fail to even score on a B team for another club? Maybe they should play CESA's Classic team. Could be a good match.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Coach and Dexter, it is absurd to even consider CSC as a favorite to win State Cup. Keep in mind that CESA's Challenge team is still a good team regardless of whether or not they are a B team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fallout, there are two points here. First of all, I think absurd is too strong of a word. While they may not be the favorite, it isn't out of the question. Considering all of the talent on the team, it is certainly fair to say that they are one of the favorites. Secondly, any of CESA's teams that compete in the challenge league are good teams. Again, that was not my point. Thanks anyway for pointing that out.

C
goal
goal
C
I have doing this online thing since it really started in 1985. And one thing seems to be constant.

Fallout makes an absurb post. Take a look at his/her profile and see when it was created, October 25th. I would guess Fallout to be a CESA "B" team player.

I have seen St. Giles, now CESA, put together some very good "B" teams that competed extremely well and would beat the "A" on several occassions. So be careful in making the assumption that the "B" is worse than the "A" team.

B
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
B
In fact this happened last weekend. For the U15 boys, the CESA Challenge team (or B team) beat the CESA Premiere team (or A team).

S
Goal
Goal
S
And this past weekend in the Mt. Pleasant tournament, U16 boys Summerville Arsenal (having won 1 game all season in the challenge league) beat the Mt. Pleasant Premier team.

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
ecrosby --

I'm still hoping you'll provide some clarification on the nature of the committment USC has made to the two kids from the class of '06.

lpaf

B
goal
goal
B
The commitment made by USC and the 2 U17 players are non-binding both ways. USC has indicated they will offer some type of scholarship to the players and the players have indicated their desire to play at USC. it really doesn't go any further than that.The commitment does not become binding until National signing day, which will be some time in late 05/early 06 for cuurent members of the junior class.

I believe both forwards for the Concorde Fire u17 team have already committed to ACC schools. So it happens rather frequently with the higher ranked players.

T
throw in
throw in
T
BDad11,

What are the pros/cons to committing early for the players and the schools since it not really a binding agreement?

Thanks

TWS

brace
brace
Is this a bumper crop of players for CSC? USC have signed three local for 05 and two for 06. Has USC changed their philosophy on in state players or is this crop of players heads and tails above previous classes? It would be nice to start seeing the big SC schools take more local talent.

B
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
B
For the two juniors who have committed to USC, what positions do they play? The club team that they play on has not done very well this year (won one out of seven games). What is it about their games that makes them stand out and be recruited as juniors?

C
goal
goal
C
TW Sharpe, I think the pros of commiting early is that you take a lot of pressure off the player and the school. The player has a commitment and can relax a little in that last year. The school gets to focus their recruiting on other highly ranked players.

Bruin, I agree completely with 2004striker but I also want to add that soccer is probably the most complete team sport I have ever been a part of in my life. I have seen many very bad teams that had 1 or 2 amazing players. You can't always judge a single player's performance on the team's performance. A baseball example, when AROD was on the Texas Rangers, the rangers where aweful. AROD was still an amazing player on a bad team and every team that could afford him, Yankees, went after him.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
2004Striker

Do you really believe that the main part of Brian Przybyla's development came from Hubert? Hubert got Przybyla during his sophomore year. His freshman year he logged significant minutes on a team that was dominated by juniors and seniors and ranked in the top 10 for most of the year. His skills developed long before he made it to high school. The same with the Evans kid at BC. Hiese did not perform miracles at the high school level. He developed in club ball at earlier ages. However, in his case, Will and Kevin were the ones to develop since he played in their club. My point is that a player's development is average in high school at best and that is if he has a quality coach at that level. So if you are going to throw around praise for development, make sure it is to the right people.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not so sure that soccer players are born.Unilke football or to a lesser degree basketball, there is little natural about becomming a soccer player. Players are made. Of the 3 players mentioned, only Evans would be considered to have above average athletic ability. Przybyla and Prince are good soccer players but not great athletes.

C
goal
goal
C
Every coach or trainer a player has helps them to develop in different ways. You can always gleam some knowledge from any situation, if you look for it. I persoanlly have been confused about a subject for years and then that one instructor that I have for a week explains something in a way that helps me connect all the dots. I am sure it is the same for soccer players.

But I personally think that the parents are "the main part" of any childs development.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First of all, fallout needs to just stop posting. Have you watched CSC play this year. If you have, you have probably noticed that no one will play them straight up. Everyone packs it in and looks to get a lucky goal somehow. I have seen them a couple of times and they must get frustrated because no one will really play them. When there are 9 people in the box it is hard to get the ball to the goal. More power to you if that is your strategy, but you can't honestly think CESA Challenge is the better team.
Second, Dexter, to say Prince is not a great athlete is absurd. He can read the game just as good as anyone and can execute just as good. If you ever saw him play other sports, you would realize his athleticism is not only in soccer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I did not watch the CESA Challenge/CSC game but I can say that a 2-0 victory is a pretty sound defeat. Yes, that does mean that CESA Challenge is the better team. Until CSC does something to prove that wrong, like actually beat a good team, then I come to believe CESA Challenge and Premier are better teams than CSC.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with Micro. Zach Prince is an exceptional athlete. What made you believe that he is not? He was an excellent basketball player, football player, and I believe tennis player before he quit to focus solely on soccer. He is also very good at reading the game. If thats not an athelte, I don't know what is.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think Zach Prince....does he not read the game well. He dribbles way to much. The center mid that is the key piece for that team and can't be seen because of Zach dribbling is Branson Hyatt..he one and two touches all over the place....just an opinion....Zach is good, but not amazing.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wasn't taking a shot at Zach about his athleticism. Zach is successful because he is solid technically, is clever with the ball, and can play the game at a high tactical level if he so desires. Having said that, Zach Prince will not take over a game athletically. He does not run away from people either off the dribble or from runs- he gets them off balance; he isn't a dominant ball winner- picks up a lot of second balls; and is not especially quick laterally. Even the layman or the blind can see the difference in the athleticism of a Monroe to Zach though it can be argued which is the better or more effective player.

Holla

brace
brace
If you look at the remaining schedule for the U18 CSC team, they have a good chance of being the 6th seed for state cup, which means that they would probably play the CESA Challenge team again. If they can get by them they probably are going to have either Aiken or CESA Premier. Any way you look at it, they will have a tough road to the championship.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In my opinion, Monroe is hands down a better player than Prince...that kid is nasty, he should be one of the most highly recruited players of 06 but his grades suck.

coach
coach
Lex,
I don't think it is appropriate to discuss any young person's grades or academics here in this open forum.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree that in a public forum like this it is most appropriate to refrain from identifying the grade history of any particular young player in the State. That having been said however, academic achievement and the lack thereof plays an ABSOLUTELY HUGE role when it comes to deciding who is offered scholarship money and who is not.....and here is why: At one of our major universities in the state, the Men's Soccer Program has nine (9) scholarships to give in any one year and I believe the Women's Program has 14. (Discrepancy due to Title IX gender equity) Last time I checked, there were eleven (11) student/athletes playing on the field at any one time and another fifteen (15) on the roster alongside the starters. That means for example that the men's coach is forced to divide nine full scholarships among 26 players in need of scholarships. Giving players at least half a scholarship means that 18 players get half their tuition paid and yet that leaves still more than one third of the players on the roster (the players holding the remaining 19 through 26 roster spots)who would get nothing from the atheltic scholarship pool. So how do college coaches overcome the limited funds in their athletic scholarship pool to attract the greatest number of highly skilled soccer players? The answer is LIFE Scholarship money and similar academic/grade based scholarship money available to all students. Absent the rare situation where a college coach would ever give out a full scholarship to any one player of Freddie Adu caliber, coaches at state institutions of higher learning across the country will soon start (and in fact have already started) looking to sign the best soccer players in the state who have GPAs and test scores that will qualify them for academic based scholarship money, which when added to a quarter or half soccer scholarship, will provide a full ride package for the student athlete.......but the days of receiving a full ride to any Div. 1 university are long gone. Additionally, I believe that bringing in an in-state player costs the coaching staff less than brining in an out of state player because in-state tuition is less than out of state tuition and that is why you will see programs leaning towards signing more and more instate players as the talent pool increases in time.

To all Soccer Moms, Soccer Dads and Youth Coaches out there....for as much as you are pushing your kids to excel on the pitch, push them even harder to excel in the classroom. The reality of the situation is that if a college coach has the option of taking two equally skilled and talented soccer players but one qualifies to receive academic money and the other does not, and both are in need of a full ride in order to attend a college, chances are that the player offered will be the player who costs less to the coaching staff - that is, the player, Player A, who only costs the coaching staff $30,000 over four years versus the player, Player B, who would have cost the coaching staff $60,000. (Numbers were pulled out of the air and don't reflect actual costs of any particular 4 year college!) EXAMPLE: Player A would get a full ride of $30,000 ($30,000 athletic scholarships + $30,000 academic scholarships=$60,000) Player B would get 0 because with poor grades and poor test scores, he or she would cost the coaching staff $60,000 over four years for a full ride completely funded out of the limited pool of nine athletic scholarships. A coach is better off using his or her limited scholarship money in a two for one deal....signing two academically qualifying student athlete soccer players for the price of one non-academically qualifying soccer players. It just makes economic sense, pure and simple, and besides, participation in college soccer demands that a player have excellent time managment skills.....So when it is all said and done, instead of worrying about how Johnny or Sally played last weekend in the Atlanta Cup or whether he or she makes the greatest Premier level, Challenge level, ODP or XYZ team or whether your Club is the best or their Club is the best, make sure your children and your players are the best students they can possibly be especially if you are truly trying to bank on your child's or player's soccer skills to pay for college. If you don't, you may be short changing yourself and short changing your child's needs in the long run! And that is all I have to say about that.....

Good luck to all in Cup play!

Yours in Soccer,
EuroFan [Wink]

C
goal
goal
C
Enough said....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard