Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#58172 12/13/04 07:37 PM
coach
coach
Poor, poor Shearer.........
I know the ale is always good, but it is obvious you have succumbed to excess.....but please don't let yourself go so far as Mike Tyson did and decide to mount a Solara in traffic outside the *****cat Lounge.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1209041tyson1.html
And yes, maybe I live in a dream world, seeking excellent club soccer in Cola. If you are going to participate in the 'beautiful game', you may as well be the best you can be. What better dreams can there be??

#58173 12/13/04 07:44 PM
B
throw in
throw in
B
To All Concerned,
Just a question for information. Did the CESA merger result in more or less players being rostered on teams than the totals St. Giles and GFC rostered the previous year? My concern is that instead of more particpation in youth soccer the mergers of clubs will diminish the numbers of participants. This has little effect on the elite players who will find clubs that want them, but for the developing players will there be venues for them/

#58174 12/13/04 07:45 PM
O
OPG Offline
throw in
throw in
O
Chapindad..I hope you are correct. Many of the clubs from Northern Ohio are US Club Soccer Members to avoid the roster difficulties as you pointed out. My point is to not take away from the community teams, these are great programs that offer the vast majority the opportunity to play, but for those few players at each age group in several different clubs that have the desire and the ability to move to the next level, there seems to be no outlet. Premier level soccer takes dedication (training at least 3 times a week, and at a minimum 2 games per weekend, every weekend, year round). I can only point to the top teams that I have personal experience with, Ohio Premier (North & South), Cleveland United, The Internationals, Blast FC, Mentor Impact. These are top regional teams, and several of these clubs have multiple tams that are nationally ranked. I'm still learning my way around the Southern Soccer scene, but I think we have the fundamental structure for this to occur.

Take a look at this web site to see how one league in NE Ohio runs their program..http://www.aflsoccer.com/default.aspx

This league then offers an umbrella team called the Northern Ohio Alliance, where players from the member clubs can try out, and if selected, play at the highest level nationally (such as the Dalls Cup).

#58175 12/13/04 07:52 PM
O
OPG Offline
throw in
throw in
O
What I forgot to add, is the player remains on their community team playing at the local/state level, but adds in additonal training and playing time with the combined team at the next level(regional/national expousure).

#58176 12/13/04 07:56 PM
S
coach
coach
S
>> [Blind ol Ref] Did the CESA merger result in more or less players being rostered on teams than the totals St. Giles and GFC rostered the previous year?<<

Roughly the same: 49 slightly smaller teams before versus 47 slightly larger teams after.

This was raised earlier in a thread on the formation of CESA; for the background details on the calculations used to get this answer, please see this message thread.

#58177 12/13/04 08:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As I have been saying, the merger is both good and bad . Obviously 8 for 8 in the Challenge Cup speaks for itself.

I can promise you we had some kids who quit because they didnt make the "A"
or "B" team. I don't see CESA dominating in the Classic Cup. Since most kids don't get college scholarships.I think its important just to keep these tournaments in perspective.

All in all I see the merger as positive. It depends on which parent and/ or player you talk to.

#58178 12/13/04 09:42 PM
S
coach
coach
S
A quote from a really smart man

quote:
posted August 27, 2004 3:52PM
[scdad] ...The worst year for a merger is going to be that first year. It can only get better.

The players, coaches, parents, and volunteers have really worked hard so far on all of the challenges associated with the first year of the merger. We obviously still face a lot of challenges; but given how everyone has pulled together on the issues we have faced I can't help but be optimistic for the future.

#58179 12/13/04 11:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The true test of whether CESA has become a true "juggernaut" will be at regionals and nationals. When they face the Concorde Fires, the Chicago Magics, the Dallas Texans, and other teams that are there year after year, we can truly tell if the quality of soccer in South Carolina, is up to the level of the national champions. Changing subjects, at least now we may not have quality Carolina kids go out of state to play for "quality teams." (i.e. Tomek Charowski)

#58180 12/14/04 01:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
gamecockrich10

i think cesa has started developing south carolina soccer with sweeping the state challenge cup championships. it's the first step of a long process. the level of south carolina soccer will eventually rise to the level of national championships. give them time!

#58181 12/14/04 01:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree completely soccermom. At the same time, I was speaking in the since of the national scene. None of the CESA teams had the opportunity to face a national champion at State Cup, so I don't think we can base their quality on the results of one weekend. It is the same way with high school soccer. Every year, people(on the national scene) view Irmo as "a good team", because no one has ever heard of anyone else. Therefore, they look at the quality of soccer played here as weak, where there is only one quality team.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard