Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#59143 07/19/05 07:21 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Oops sorry - I only saw the 90's play. I know that some of the CESA 90's started out but did not complete the full year with ODP. Just curious since they did so well during the year. This program is freat because of the showing they get.

#59144 07/19/05 07:26 PM
G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Bear...sorry for the error in my previous post...I meant to say "incorrectly".

#59145 07/19/05 07:26 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
I can't spell today....great because of the showing.

#59146 07/19/05 07:29 PM
B
goal
goal
B
GVLDad,

soccersmylife kind of hit the point that I was making. I don't know if during the first boys session, 91's and 89's I think, we, South Carolina, had any representation within the group of "Region III staff". I do know that within the group that just returned yesterday, we, South Carolina, had representation within the group of "Region III staff". More importantly, I don't know if our representatives were actively promoting our players. I simply don't know the process or more importantly what went on since I wasn't there.

As Chico pointed out it's hard to rationalize, and I guess that's what I'm trying to do. Successfully rationalizing this will help me individually determine if the amount of training and potential opportunity is worth the cost and commitment to the program in general.

#59147 07/19/05 07:45 PM
S
throw in
throw in
S
Bear,
You hit the nail squarely on the head. Period!
SOME of us that have had "kids" in the ODP program since late 80s have questioned whether the potential opportunity is worth the cost and commitment to the program.
The key word is potential.
As I have stated in a distant past message, my oldest, now 30, was thanked at region camp by a couple of the returning players (guaranteed slots) for his participation and $$$$ for their benefit.
Now, this was the boys program and it was a few years ago but it does make you wonder whether or not a SC player can make the team without being so superior to the previous year's selections that that player wouldn't be at region camp anyway. He/she would already be on the national team.
Do you really think the little training they do together is a true benefit to the player. I personally think not. At least not worth over $700 in registration fees alone. Hell, I could buy my daughter a personal trainer for a week or two for that and get a lot more touches on the ball. Of course there are those that believe, come crunch time, being on the SC state ODP team will get them a ride in college. Nope. A strong game and great academics/SATs does that.
I'm done.

#59148 07/19/05 08:03 PM
world cup
world cup
If Bear hit the nail on the head.....Soccerdog6 pounded it home!

"Of course there are those that believe, come crunch time, being on the SC state ODP team will get them a ride in college. Nope. A strong game and great academics/SATs does that.
I'm done."

Amen!

#59149 07/19/05 08:20 PM
coach
coach
Interesting article from Rochester Rhinos soccer program on ODP and recruiting. http://www.jrrhinossoccer.com/Rochester-Jr-Rhinos/News/ODP.htm

#59150 07/19/05 08:25 PM
G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Soccerdog6,

Thank you for your comments...and I'm glad I waited before sending my reply to soccersmylife's question of why more of the CESA 90 boys didn't attend. I have a son that plays on the CESA 90 team and I can only speak for our situation but the points that you mentioned are some of the issues that factored into our decision to not attend the camp this year. We'll reevaluate the situation again next year and go through a similar decision process as to whether the potential opportunity is worth the cost and commitment.

#59151 07/20/05 12:00 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
I read the article 2004striker refered us to. GVLSoccerDad you should read also.

"But, those who aspire to a level above youth soccer programs should participate in ODP simply because it is current - the most direct route for identifying talent for BOTH our colleges and US National teams."

GVLSoccerDad you should go through this decision process before you bring your son out to tryouts. It is unfair to other players throughout the state wanting a spot on the ODP team when a player participates through the year and then at the last minute decides not to go to camp. The training during the year is important for the player and is especially important for the Coach so he may determine what the player needs to work on.

South Carolina has come a long way to build a positive reputation at the Region III camp but we can not continue if we do not get good represention of the best players throughout the state to attend this camp or participate in the program. If cost is an issue then voice your concerns to SCYSA and I am sure they can find a way to cut costs. ie..have parents take their players to Alabama. I'm sure the bus rental is a large part of the cost. Have the parents buy the uniforms that are issued to the players etc.... I would prefer to pay the extra and not have to drive to Alabama to take a player, stay the week and drive back. Or maybe I should so I can see the level of play the other states have on their teams.
Players must "show" they have the potential to make the National team to even be considered for a pool game. This is a tough week for the players, the heat and humidity really effect the players. If a player does not show then the Region staff can not recommend him for a pool game. These players are watched from the time they step off the bus to the time they get back on. they are watched during pool games on the sidelines to see if they are interested in watching the game or would they prefer to play card and cut up instead of watching to see how they can improve their game.
I've siad enough - I'll continue to support ODP.

#59152 07/20/05 01:19 PM
B
goal
goal
B
Soccersmylife,

Honestly, I was hoping not to rehash the same ODP discussion, as it routinely gets a bad beating. I've been involved for two years now, and must say all things being equal, I'll probably be supportive next year also. However, it's a choice that I won't make alone. I will provide the best opportunities possible, provided the desire remains. Much of my frustration this year stemmed from the frustration expressed to me.

You have also pointed out something that I think bears thoughtful discussion. Everyone involved in club soccer tends to know who the players are in particular age groups. It is clear that the consensus best players for some reason are not participating. I don't know what the reasons are but there has to be a way for SCYSA to figure that out and work to solve them. If we don't find a way to work through these frustrations, the best players will continue not to participate, and some will migrate to other opportunities.

Training and playing with the best players will raise the level of awareness for South Carolina soccer. Keeping the best players interested is key to the overall success.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard