Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
L
I cannot believe no one has discussed this on here yet. I was at Aiken this past weekend and on Saturday watched some of a Bridge teams game. It was a boys team, not sure of the ages though. Their coach seemed to be fairly vocal, even using abusive and foul language at times. In the second half, a Bridge player was tackled late, but nothing malicious that I saw. The type of tackle that happens numerous times in matches, especially at the youth level. Well this tackle happened in front of the Bridge bench and that is when things got strange. The Bridge coach stepped onto the field and it appeared like he slapped the player on the head. Next thing I know, golf carts are flying in with tournament officials and even the police show up. I had a prior engagement that I had to attend so I was unable to see the end of the match or what happened after the match. Hopefully all the hostilities had ended. Anyone else see this and know exactly what happened?

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Did hear about it, but did not see.... Did not know it was bridge.

Someone told me the cops had the coach on his knees somewhere in the complex.

All hear say in my part.

Bear??? Bridge???

T
bench
bench
T
I heard the same story, though I was at another field. Abusive language, smacking an opposing player in the head, golf carts and police; but I didn't see any of it either. I made an earlier comment about a Bridge team winning 14-0 (I still say that is too much and could have been prevented) but this would certainly be over the top if it is true.

C
kick off
kick off
C
I along with a lot of other parents saw the police and golf carts also. I know it happened on one of the back fields at Powderhouse, but none of us could tell what was happening.

Goal
Goal
Here are the coaches at Bridge FA, who was it?

Bridge Futbol Alliance

J
world cup
world cup
J
Silly irrational people that can't control their emotions.. good thing they are put in positions of influence over young adults!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tommyboy, not sure if you have been to the Aiken website to look at the scores but there were 13 games where the score was 10 or more and almost to many to count where the score was above 5. I have yet to see a comment about Lexington, Aiken, GSA or the Patriots to name a few. Like Chico said in the earlier post, these thing will sort themselves out. I can't speak about the topic of this post because I was not there as it seems no one on this post was, but I am sure if this inexcusable act happend the Bridge is dealing with the matter.

B
kick off
kick off
B
My one and only post on this subject.

There was a confusing incident that occurred during a match between the Bridge FA 90 Red and Forsyth Fusion (GA). Our coach allegedly struck an opposing player. The only witnesses were the opposing coach and players, no referees, no tournament officials. I was at the match and did not see anything, other than the suspension of play. Due to the nature of the event Sheriff's personnel were called in. Statements taken. No charges filed. I and the Director of Soccer were in conversation with all authorities at the conclusion of the match. Administrative procedures underway at Bridge FA.

As I said, first and final post on this.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is exactly the type incident that soccer does not need. I understand the need to go through the proper channels and that Mr. Sweet has to reamin above the fray as president,but I am sure that both Bridge and SCYSA will dole out the proper punishment.

I don't get the alleged part though. Either he slapped the kid or he did not. The players parent ran across the field right after the incident- this is not something that is just made up or is a mirage. If the incident does turn out to be proven, I hope the coach is banned from coaching in South Carolina and that he is punished to the extent of the law.You absolutely do not touch a student in a classroom or a kid on the field.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It wasn't Clark.

goal
goal
I can see the new slogan now, "Bridge F.A. - Have you kicked your kid today?".

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Bridge.... thanks for the commentary, I certainly understand the position. Too many alleged this and that.

I know you guys will do the right thing.

Good luck.

Brace
Brace
Who is Richard Santana? I tried to visit the Bridge FA website, but the link was wrong for the coaches bios. Did this happen as a result of folks trying to find out who this guy is? [Confused]

Sad that this has tarnished Bridge FA. I think the mission is well intended.

E
goal kick
goal kick
E
I spoke to one of the players from that '90 team. The other side of this story is that the coach in question was gesturing with is hands and inadvertently struck the opposing player. The player, who was possibly frustrated, took advantage of the situation and made more of it than it was. The police came and took statements but, for some reason, didn’t take any statements from the Bridge players.

In defense of BridgeFA’s use of the word “alleged”, I suppose you should not convict an individual in this type of situation on such a public forum by stating that this event did in fact occur.

Only two people know for sure what happened: the coach and the player. I sure hope that the situation gets sorted out quickly and justly and that cooler heads prevail in the end.

goal
goal
There appears to be nothing wrong with the Bridge FA (coach bios or otherwise) website. Information is the same as it was prior to this weekend.

goal
goal
Dexter, here is an example of why "alleged" is the proper word in this post:

"I heard from a friend of a friend that Dexter allegedly made a few intelligent comments in the second paragraph of his August 31, 2005 10:24 AM post on the scsoccer.com bulletin board."

Personally, I don't agree with that statement, but I'm sure you might disagree? We both read it - I see it one way, you see it another.

Sure, it may not be the best example, but it suits my purpose.

T
bench
bench
T
I'd like to publicly thank Edmund Carson for providing me with a much needed laugh tonight. I am struggling to determine which part I liked more: the coach was "gesturing with his hands and inadvertently struck" the kid, or that the "frustrated player" saw an opportunity and siezed it.

I admit that I didn't see the incident. But the scenario that Edmund just laid out is hilarious. What an unfortunate coach to be on the sideline gesturing with his hands and some kid just happened to run by and get hit in the head. This was not just any kid either. This was in fact a clever, crafty, quick-witted kid who took full advantage of the situation. Not only was this kid so devious, but he had the foresight to coordinate the evil plot with his teammates and parents so as to fool all onlookers and approaching police into thinking that something had occured when it actually hadn't.

Thanks Edmund.

N
kick off
kick off
N
Quick-witted, clever and crafty kid - very, very possible. At regionals this year I saw a boy on a Texas U17 team fake getting kicked in the face. There was a foul in the box both players went to the ground pulling shirts etc... The referee called a foul (it could have gone either way). As the defensive player got up and stepped over him the boy on the ground grab his face and started yelling/screaming. The referee did not call anything, but he sure did sell his act to the linesman. After a discussion between linesman and referee a straight red card was issued to the defensive player. So good acting could have been done in Aiken.

Goal
Goal
Appreciate the info!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Belligerent,
Thanks for clearing up the whole "alleged" conundrum.I think I get it now. Karl Rove "allegedly" leaked information about Valerie Plume.LBJ "allegedly" cooked up the Gulf of Tonkin incident to launch the US in to involvement in Vietnam. On the other hand, Ron Artest did not "allegedly" go in to the stands and put his hands on fans. He did do this as it was seen by all in the arena.Is that about right? My objection to the word was really of a semantic nature, but thanks to your erudite and hilariously funny post I now see the error of my ways. This is not an incident that is simply my word versus his.

I was not at the game, but my information comes from a primary source that was at the game and saw the entire incident unfold at close range. As stated by LowerState 4a, the coach was using profanity during the course of the match and when the incident occurred the coach stepped on to the playing field. If you wish to believe Carson's second gunmen theory that is OK with me.

I have no ax to grind with anyone here. I hold Bridge in no way responsible for the actions of a coach that went over the edge and am confident that SCYSA and Bridge will handle the incident.

I will add though that loyalty is a great quality but that it does not rank above honor and doing the right thing.Thanks again Belligerent for making me a smarter man today. I'm out on this topic. Bombs away.

coach
coach
This discussion sounds like antics similar to those in coaches pitch on a little league field, where they have almost as many 'coaches' as players. This 'alleged' physical incident may have been prevented had the referee, early on, warned the coach for the abusive/foul language. That type language is not permitted if it is against your opponent or your own players. I was not there and have no evidence to offer in this matter. Yet, as a ref, there are a number of coaches who come to games with chips on their respective shoulders and attempt to intimidate referees as much as than can get away with. Maybe a stern 1st warning, followed by a toss for second offense would have avoided any subsequent physical incident. The game is to be played by guys/gals and controlled by refs, not by any coaches. All concerned should view, play and coach the games with a competitive spirit, tempered with rational conduct. We should have a greater appreciation for the 'beautiful' game that involves much skill and technique and team work. Soccer is a great and fun sport if coached and played in the proper spirit.

'To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink.' ~J.B. Priestley, The Good Companions, 1928

J
Brace
Brace
J
There is no place for abusive or offensive language on the soccer field. I have recently tossed a couple of coaches up here in WI for swearing. I don't tolerate it, and it is not a part of the game that I enjoy. It sounds like some refs need to grow a pair and take control of the coaches a little more. It is unfortunate when coaches act like that, it shows the players that they need to treat the refs like that too. A stern warning and an ejection would have most likely been warranted for this behavior from the coach. As for the possibility of hitting a player, the coach should not have been that close to the field. If he stepped onto the field, toss him. As a ref, you control who enters and leaves the field of play. Make sure the coaches have a box they can stand in, and make sure they are within it. I know up here in my recertification clinic that I just attended for 06', this was a huge topic in WI. They are having problems with coaches walking onto the fields, and there have been a lot of coaches tossed for this over the past couple of months. There needs to be a crack down on this type of behavior. We don't need soccer to regress into a sport dominated by thugs.

L
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
L
Soccerboy

wow, we actually agree on something. that might be a first.

Here is a discussion of the incident on a Georgia website. In case the link does not work, you can google Georgia Soccer Forum and get there. Its on page 3

http://www.network54.com/Forum/171923?it=2

You will have to scroll down the page until you get to the topic

"Coach strikes opposing player at Aiken Tournament."

goal
goal
Dexter, okay...maybe I was being a TAD sarcastic with my post. The main point I was trying to make was that any number of people can witness the same incident, but each person will paint a slightly different, to completely opposite, picture of the same scene. This doesn't mean that NOTHING happened, only that we are human, and we all see things from a different perspective.

A very good example (yes, another one - but, this one is real) would be the great discussion on these boards after the Irmo-S.Aiken State Championship game some months ago. I can’t find the link to it now, but somewhere out there is posted a video clip of a questionable goal. Okay, there is no question that a goal was awarded by the referee, but whether the ball actually crossed the goal line, and whether a S.Aiken defender kept the ball out of the goal illegally, IS in question. I have seen the video numerous times, and I have read numerous posts stating that one thing or the other “obviously” happened “because it’s right there on video.” “Look at the shadows,” “Look at the angle,” etc. An entire stadium witnessed the incident, but it’s amazing how many differents descriptions of the same incident there are.

I have seen the coach in question (back to this subject) at practices and at games many times. Now, I’m not going to be like the parent in the news who says their “wonderful, sweet child would never ever hurt a flea,” while that same sweet child is on trial for murder. No, I don’t “know” everything about this coach, but if you lined him up with a hundred other coaches from around the state and asked me to rank them according to their propensity for aggressive behavior, he would be very near the opposite end.

Tommyboy, I don’t think Carson was accusing the player of intentionally running into the flailing arms of this coach – I believe he was merely suggesting that when the incident happened, the kid took advantage of it to the fullest. NOTREBMALHH gives a good example of how easy it is to manipulate people when the circumstances are ripe. This is one of the reasons I love my TiVo – in the middle of pretty much any EPL game, there will some some contact between players, and one of them will dive backwards as if hit between the eyes with a sledgehammer. Funny thing is, when I play it back in slow-mo, I usually don’t see any (or much) contact at all. The fans in the stands don’t have TiVo – what do you think they see?

Dexter, I know this one will also sound like a “second gunman theory,” but regarding the “cursing,” I have seen first-hand (and you can quote me on this) how this could possibly be a “mis-interpretation.” As I mentioned, I have spent a good amount of time around a few of the Tobagoan coaches in the area. They tend to have very strong accents, and there are plenty of words they say that just do not come out right. I watched one game in particular where I was asked afterwards by more than one spectator what I thought about the coach’s foul language. Fact is, there WAS no foul language. After said spectator went through the words they heard, I gave them the translation of what was actually said. I, myself, have listened to them talk, and on more than one occasion, perked up when I “couldn’t believe” what they just said, only to realize what the actual word was several minutes later. I am sure that you will not believe me until you witness it yourself, but it is true – I am not exaggerating.

Okay, I have finally come to the end. I am NOT saying that the above is what actually happened, and I am not saying that nothing happened – I am merely suggesting that what APPEARS to be OBVIOUS is not always so. Do not believe everything you hear, even if it is from a witness – remember, there are three sides to every story – his, hers, and the truth.

J
Brace
Brace
J
Lowerstate4A, you are right, this is a first! And with gas prices approaching $3.00 a gallon everywhere, it must be the end of the world! [Smile]

E
goal kick
goal kick
E
Please allow me to clarify what I said in my previous post. "The other side of this story is" means that this is what I heard in the coach's defense...right or wrong. I don't know what happenned b/c I wasn't there. I was just mearly defending BridgeFA's use of the term "alleged" before someone is oficially conviced of something. Also, I figured this board deserves all of the information (or alleged information) that's out there.
I'm glad you got a laugh, tommyboy, but I wasn't trying to be funny. If I were, I would have posted:
A farmer was milking his cow. He was just starting to get a good rhythm going when a bug flew into the barn and started circling his head. Suddenly, the bug flew into the cow's ear. The farmer didn't think much about it, until the bug squirted out into his bucket. It went in one ear and out the udder.

L
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
L
Any word on what the final outcome of this mess. I notice that Santana is no longer listed on the Bridge website anywhere. was this bridge's doing or did SCYSA come down on this?

C
goal
goal
C
Lowerstate4a,

I went to the GA forum just to see what they had to say. I want to say that I am SO thankful to be in SC and have the parents that we have. Those people are crazy and really need to get on some meds.

Later

coach
coach
I have to agree with you chapin. The Atlanta teams may still be ahead of SC teams in quality, but we will soon catch them. But, I hope we never get as crazy as the GA crowd. This GA forum post sounds like something right out of the Red Neck League:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=171923&messageid=1125259466

L
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
L
I agree 100% but i think part of that is because of the way the board is set up. A couple of years ago, Kyle was using a different board where you did not need a username. It was pretty much chaos and alot of trash talking going on. Kyle definitely made the right decision when he went to this type of board.

C
goal
goal
C
I don't know. Read the link that striker2004 left for us. That's just crazy!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any excuse that the coach was "waving" his hands areound is pure BS. He hit the kid or he did not. I heard from a coach on the next field that the Bridge Coach yelled at the opposing player then smacked him on the back of the head.

There is NO place in YOUTH soccer for this. Coach should be FIRED and prosecuted to the full extent of the law!!!

C
goal
goal
C
I think it was Soccerboy who pointed out that a coach should never be close enough to the field to even have a chance of accidently hitting a player.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
The coach has been suspended. It was an unfortunate thing that happened but I think it is time to talk about something else.

Brace
Brace
How long is the coach suspended for? Has he issued a formal apology to the other player and team?

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
One year - I do not know

goal
goal
quote:
It was an unfortunate thing that happened but I think it is time to talk about something else.
Umm, if it had been discussed with the coach's name and the punishment received, then yes it would have been talked about enough already. But, who was the coach and what is the punishment? Bear?

F
kick off
kick off
F
All this "accidentally" stuff sounds a lot like the stuff that got Woody Hayes removed. Maybe that's why some call it footbul

S
coach
coach
S
I knew Charlie Bauman for a short while...given that my sympathies were always with Woody Hayes. [Smile]

world cup
world cup
I went to high school in South Jersey with Charlie Bauman. He was a senior when I was a freshman.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Don't know much about this situation, but I do know that (if this is true) than the coaches attitude and actions have been passed on to the team and its supporters. This weekend a referee cleared the entire fan base for both teams because of the problems being caused by the bridge 90 team, they weren't just being rowdy, but they were inciting stuff with the players and the refs.

hat-trick
hat-trick
my point on the previous post was that classy coaches produce classy teams, and vice versa. You never see high level coaches acting up, and there is a reason for it.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
There are two Bridge FA 90 teams. 2004striker this is not the same coach. All of you need to get your stories straight before starting things on this forum.

The Coach from CSC while playing the Bridge FA Red team was asked to leave the field. When he would not the referee called the game.

The Bridge FA 90 Gold team has not had any situations and the Coach(DOC)has not had any problems of being thrown out of games nor have any parents been asked to leave the field.

I really do think it is time for this thread to be removed from this forum. You all are giving Bridge FA a bad name and this is not true. It is unfortunate that one Coach had a situation but do you have to run the rest of the Coaches and players into the ground? It seems as though you do not want this club to do well and succeed.

coach
coach
soccer,
Thanx for the correct info.

goal
goal
Maybe if the truth would just come out no one would keep asking. Which coach was suspended and what other punishment was handed down?

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
I'm curious why anyone needs further information? Obviously the players on the team and their parents are aware that their coach has been involved in this incident and what punishment was administered. If you do not have a child on this team, than why does it matter. If the suspension is a year, than you have 12 months before ever dealing coming in contact with this coach, assuming you have a child in the age group and location that this coach will be coaching, if he coaches again. At that point in time, the punishment will have been served.

Even if it were relevant, a public forum for parents, fans, and players is hardly an appropriate place for this information to be broadcast. If you are not in a position to know this information already, than you most likely do not need to know. If for some reason you still feel you are entitled to know the coach's name, there are email links on the Bridge website were inquiries can be made in a more discrete and appropriate manner.

The fact remains that after 44 posts on this topic, NOT ONE person actually witnessed the event in question. The only thing happening is speculation and hearsay which is not helpful. I agree that this thread shoulc be closed.

For the record, I have no affiliation with any of the parties involved in this incident.

Brace
Brace
I think it is relevant, due to the fact that parents and players have to make decisions for what type of clubs that they want to be a part of. The coach himself or DOC should take steps to set the record straight and it would probably die on its' own, but with no word from Bridge FA, then speculation is all there is to go on.

Goal
Goal
I have a feeling that if a high school coach slapped a player that it would be in the newspapers and the talk of the town. Why is club soccer any different? If it is hearsay, then someone from Bridge FA needs to set the record straight for once and all.

If my son or daughter was hit by a coach 8-10 years ago, you can bet that the coach and whoever defends him or her would have their butts kicked by me personally!

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
My one and only post on this subject.

There was a confusing incident that occurred during a match between the Bridge FA 90 Red and Forsyth Fusion (GA). Our coach allegedly struck an opposing player. The only witnesses were the opposing coach and players, no referees, no tournament officials. I was at the match and did not see anything, other than the suspension of play. Due to the nature of the event Sheriff's personnel were called in. Statements taken. No charges filed. I and the Director of Soccer were in conversation with all authorities at the conclusion of the match. Administrative procedures underway at Bridge FA.

As I said, first and final post on this.

--------------------
Darren Sweet
President, Bridge FA

AS you can see above Bridge took the stance way back on 8/31.

The only reason why anyone would need to know anything would be if the coach in question was trying to coach elsewhere, at which point one would hope that someone would check credentials.

I agree that it would be all over the papers, but it isn't and people are free to speculate.

For the record I have no connection with either the club or the team.

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
No one knows if anyone was slapped on this forum, or if they do they have not come forward to say that they have.

If your child was struck 8-10 years ago, and the coach was punished, would you still want to go tell the lady down the street that has a couple of kids who may play soccer? Does he need to have a sign posted in his yard so all his neighbors can see? We already know the coach has been punished.

coach
coach
Hey its done! Its over! Let it go. Whatever happened, happened. The coach has received whatever discipline that was deemed necessary, for whatever he did. This is not the place to continue any further condemnation or speculation of/and about the coach, the club or anyone involved. I am sure those directly involved have experienced enough pain, anguish and disappointment over the incident. Lets not continue to cast stones.

C
goal
goal
C
I think some people are missing the point in an attempt to cover things up and avoid the embarrassment of the situation. I do think it is important to discuss what needs to be public and what needs to be private and how that information should be given out to the public. SCYSA should have a formal website that would post any coaching violations, including red cards. I think this is very important as a parent. I trust that an organization would check out someone but it doesn't always happen and there are always problems in that procedure. For instance if Bridge FA decides to cover it up so much that they don't report to any one about the coach. I know that my club does a crimial background check but that isn't going to show any club suspensions. So what stops him from going to NCYSA or GYSA for a year or starting a USCLUB team. There is a reason why the government makes all criminal activity public unless you are a minor. You can go to richland county's web site and search for all my speeding tickets but I can't see if a coach has been suspended and why. Just ask the Catholic Church about covering up for bad priests. If this coach goes to another club and really hurts a player, SCYSA and Bridge FA could be named in a lawsuit because they knew about his pattern but didn't make it public. I know this seems extreme but it is amazing how little things can have a snowball effect years down the road.

coach
coach
Yeah, you're right. That is an extreme assumption when it is apparent that the club has already addressed the incident to the extent that it needed to be addressed. Again, this forum does not need to sink to the level of the Georgia soccer forum, where harmful accusations, allegations and speculation are commonplace.

J
Brace
Brace
J
I hate to say this, but the coach put himself into this situation to begin with. I am a firm believer that once you make your bed, you get to lay in it. I was amazed that this thread has gone this far. There are some angry people today on here. Unfortunately one coach has made a bad name for a club. If the club deals with the individual, then that is all that needs to happen. I would be one of the individuals that would not mind knowing who the coach was...I have a 1 year old that will be playing soccer when the time comes. There is no way I would let my child play for an individual that would strike a child. Chapin Dad brings up a good point with how things are reported within the soccer community. If you have a club that does report it, good. If you don't, then an induvidual can have the opportunity in the future to get themselves into trouble again. This is a damned if you do, damned if you don't point. I can see the anger by those that are affiliated with the club...but hey, it was your coach that got themselves into this, I don't recall anyone forcing them to do something they didn't want to do.

coach
coach
The coach's name has been mentioned already in this thread, on hotstat and Bridge website. So let it go guys. Don't you have something else to do like watch your favorite daytime soap?

J
Brace
Brace
J
I said that I would like to know the name of the coach, but I already know the name from previous posts. I just making a rhetorical statement. I like the sarcasm of comparing the discussion of a serious issue with that of the banter of a soap. Almost a good comparison.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I stand corrected. Got mixed up on my age groups. It was the 89 team whose parents got kicked out of the game. Sorry for the confusion.

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
Chapindad is right, there should be a public posting of coaching violations (red cards, suspensions etc.) This may or may not apply to the Bridge coach, as I cannot tell from this website or any other source if there was actually a coaching infraction. I adhere to the "innocent until proven guilty" foundation of our justice system, but once proven guilty, the information should be public and accessable.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of public crucifictions, but I believe that the manner in which coaches (and parents, for that matter) conduct themselves is quite often mimiced by young players. At the very least, this could act as a deterent in some instances to innapropriate behavior.

brace
brace
I realize that there isn't much to talk about during this time of year, but I do think it's time to drop this thread. The coaches name is up in this post if you are concerned about getting him in the future. Unfortunately it's not going to be the last time we see a coach, parent, or player do something completely idiotic during a game. A constructive thread on how to avoid these situations and deal with them in the future would be a better direction to turn.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard