Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Goal
Goal
soccerboy you raise an interesting point about coaches needing to referee to appreciate that perspective. How about this for a trade off?

I know when I would sit on the sidelines and watch my son's team play, the thing that would infuriate me the most was when referees felt like they had to "coach" the game as well. And this is in U14-U18 levels. There is a particular jack-leg in Columbia that feels he has to be the main attraction. Ironically, he headed up SCYSA for a long time. This guy would prance around and "coach" the players while not allowing the real coaches to comment from the sidelines.

Not only a poor administrator, but a terrible ref!

coach
coach
soccerboy,
I think the problem with LE Dudeman is that he has been talking with Shearer too much lately. Or else they both got into a bad batch of brown ale!

coach
coach
Hurst,
Regarding your question about possible handball by a 11-12 yr old girl in a classic or challenge match, it must be called a handball. You have to also consider intent. If it is not called would you think it fair for her to continue to gain an advantage and control of the ball thoughout the match? And, she does have a head and a chest to control the ball with. At that level of play they have got to learn - no hands.

world cup
world cup
The intent is obvious, she's trying to protect herself. The result is a clear advantage that she wouldn't have had, had she not used her hands.

Ref says "play on".....parents and coaches "scream".

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
It is not a hand ball offense. This is case in point described in the hand out dated April 27, 2005 that is from Alfred Kleinatis (Manager of Referee Development and Education) This memorandum clearly states:

What characteristics of ball contact are clearly not handling offenses?

-The contact is the result of purely reflexive effort at self protection.

This clearly answers the question. It is not a hand ball.

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
Cola Fan,
I would agree that that referee was way out of line. We are taught to referee the game so that you are not the center of attention. In fact, if you read the book that is put out by the USSF entitled Guide to Procedures...it states

"It is the job of all member of the referee team to perform their responsibilities as efficiently, effectively and unobtrusively as possible."

"An official's style should not interfere with the flow of the game, result in unclear communication of information to players or fellow officials or cause unde attention to be drawn to the official and away from the game."

By this bullet poin on page 4 of this book, if an assesment was made, this referee should be reprimanded for his actions. I do not like referees that have to be the center of attention, that very much annoys me. I enjoy refereeing games because it is a way for me to stay involved in a sport that I love, and I hopefully can positively contribute to it.

coach
coach
soccerboy,
I do not agree that it is not a hand ball at that level, maybe at rec. level. I agree that it is purely a reflexive action, but they have to be taught the use of chest and head. If the same girl does it 2, 3 times in the game, and nothing is called then she has learned that its ok to continue that same action each time the ball comes. The only instance in which I would not call hand ball is if the ball comes hard at her unexpectantly.

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
I'm just telling you what the memorandum states for us referees. If we call that while we are being assessed, we will get yelled at and todl that we are wrong. You can tell if it is being done on purpose for the most part. I would not call it a hand ball. I understand what you are saying, but I have to follow the letter of the law. Now if it continues to happen, and the ball mysteriously falls to her feet all the time, obviously I would call it, because she is using it to her advantage. The other consideration is whether she has enough time to get out of the way, or if she is opting to use her hands rather than move. If she is just standing there and not moving and putting her hands up...then it is a hand ball. There is a lot to have to judge.....but I do understand where you are coming from!

J
world cup
world cup
J
quote:
Originally posted by Soccerboy:
Jack, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday? I noticed that you were a little angry. I know of a lot of people that would be offended by the t word you threw out there. Let us be constructive on the issue.....

Perhaps.. and I apologize for the "twat" thing..it really wasn't in reference to this thread. I wanted to talk to him about something else. But also, it doesn't help having the old man patronize me..when I think I really was making a point.. but like I said. I'll let you guys have your little summit. Good luck.

J
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
J
Don't you just hate it when old people patronize you!? Oh well, maybe I will find a topic that will interest you soon enough. Maybe we should talk about the goal/non-goal again that happened in the state championship match....Irmo got so screwed.... (OK for those of you that don't get it...that was sarcasm)

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard