Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
#60415 11/10/05 07:07 PM
S
coach
coach
S
Darren: I completely understand that there are some things that are secret in a club...and this may be one of those things. What I was referring to was basically whether Bridge had a DOC that could devote themselves full-time (i.e., without the need for another full-time job outside of the club) to execution the operational strategy of the club. My theory was that you did, and I was going to use that as a reason that other clubs might want to consider it.

Again...I apologize if the question was tactless...I honestly threw it out there without much thought...sorry...

#60416 11/10/05 07:42 PM
S
coach
coach
S
It's putting the cart before the horse to try to understand if any entity can afford something before that entity decides what it wants to do...it's a semantic null. First, you have to decide what it is that you want to do...then you prioritize your goals...and then and only then do you start looking at how you afford to do it. As an example: I need both my legs. Wait a minute -- one of my children is in a fire and I'll have to sacrifice my leg to save the child? Take the leg -- no problem.

I can tell you that there is no magic bullet financially for youth soccer clubs or any other entity. As an example -- years ago I heard the theory that in youth soccer clubs recreation subsidized select. I even understand where this comes from...very simple financial models that don't take into account allocation models for large ticket items such as debt service, administrative costs, operational costs, etc. It may actually be true in some cases; however, more typically revenue (i.e., fees) are constrained by competition and the expenses when allocated on a per-player model don't allow "cash cows" in on-going operations.

In terms of the detailed inner workings of any club's financial model: that should be a source of competitive advantage for the club itself. Each club will be different -- some will have municipal land, others won't -- some will have large rec programs, other's won't -- and so on.

But, again, the bottom line is that first an entity must decide what it wants to be, and then go about trying to understand and work on being able to afford it. If you want to be a soccer club that can offer a wider range of services that is commonly available in your geographic area, the key is how much you can differentiate via intellectual property. And the most important intellectual property of any youth soccer club lies in the directors and the coaches.

#60417 11/10/05 07:45 PM
P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Chico,
So, would you say that it is unfair to compare other clubs to CESA since they are different - more comprehensive? Is this comparing apples to oranges?

#60418 11/10/05 07:52 PM
S
coach
coach
S
prettyricky: What I would really say is that you can't compare any youth soccer club to any other without a whole lot of effort to normalize the clubs...just as I can't compare Merck and Amgen without thoroughly understanding first their goals and secondly their different operational models. And neither Merck nor Amgen are going to give you any of their competitive advantage in terms of the operational financial strategy or even tactics.

That sounded very fancy; so let me put it another way. The way I judge clubs is first by looking at what they say they want to achieve and then by comparing it to what they actually achieve. Some clubs want to provide great classic teams; so I look at how they do in classic competition. Some clubs want to compete regionally and nationally; so I look at how they do in region and national competition. Some clubs want to feed high schools; so I look at how the high school teams they feed do.

Bringing this full circle: any club that wants to be the best in SC now is competing with multiple clubs that want to be regionally and nationally competitive. There's nothing wrong with wanting to do that; but there are a whole set of priorities that are then forced upon you. To use an analogy: you can't walk into Baskin Robbins, have someone ask you what flavor you want, and you say "yes" -- your priorities will be constrained by what you want to achieve.

#60419 11/10/05 07:58 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Chico... I really enjoy your insights... it is likely that tournaments and other revenues would be a major source of income, but to have two full time DOCs, would require far more.... maybe it is sponsorship, maybe it is something else...

Frankly I agree with Bridge in that either a separate thread should be started or since it is a private matter leave well enough alone.

I do however wonder what are the possibilities....

#60420 11/10/05 07:59 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Hate I can't add more to this discussion, but let me congratulate all of you for contributing to a very enlightening subject -- that is what this Message Board was intended for all along. Good job!

#60421 11/10/05 08:07 PM
P
goal kick
goal kick
P
just don't drop any names or we will lose bridge fa as a player!

#60422 11/10/05 08:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why don't we start a thread on the type of soccer balls clubs use. Or maybe where they get their nets and what color paint they use for their fields.

#60423 11/10/05 08:51 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Paint ....now there is a topic in need of discussion...

#60424 11/11/05 04:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
this board and its association proudly uses SPALDING!!!!!!

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard