Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
#60385 11/09/05 03:19 PM
S
coach
coach
S
>>[Always Right] Why would someone want to drive an hour and a half to practice?<<

No one would ***want*** to drive 90+ minutes to practice (see the "quasi-Swiftian" reference which is just a veiled reference to the Irish solution Swift sardonically proposed for increasing protein in the English diet.)

>>Can't you get enough good players in your own area?<<

No. In smaller towns there is a lack of critical mass; in larger towns quite often there is a balkanization of clubs.

>> We do at CESA!<<

CESA has many absolutely great Greenville players; however, CESA draws players from a very wide geographic area. For example, 1/4 of last year's U16G Premier team lived 90+ miles away. I could be wrong, but I believe that no player on the current CESA U18G Premier team lives in Greenville. At CESA Columbia practices, I've seen boys and girls from Rock Hill, Charleston/Mount Pleasant/Summerville, Aiken/Augusta -- and of course Columbia and its smaller surrounding cities. CESA seems to be drawing increasing numbers of players from not only Spartanburg, Clemson, Greenwood, Moore, Travelers Rest, etc. but also from Columbia, Charlotte, Aiken/Augusta, Ashville -- and even from Charleston.

#60386 11/09/05 03:24 PM
coach
coach
Always wrong,
I believe due to the strong CESA organization and many other attractive aspects of that club, that you draw players from all over the state-even the lowcountry.
Chico,
Due to my red neck upbringing, I have never been too good at quasi-Swiftian questions. But I will respond anyway.....There is a possibility of just having Bridge & CESA and having Cola, Aiken, Sumter players chose which direction to travel, yet I am not yet sold on the 'training in Cola. concept.' Even though I have not seen it in action, I just don't think those that participate and train away from the core team for a few days can get that 'team feel.' 3 major clubs would possibly allow all team players to practice constantly as one team unit.
Plus there are already in place significant facilities in Cola. area to support one of the major 3. I believe there are enough current/potential players in those 3 respective areas I mentioned, to produce competitive teams among all 3 major clubs. As far as producing the best teams possible to successfully compete regionally, there will be those few dedicated players who will travel to that one region possessing the best talent, no matter where that team is located. But..its still a dream.

#60387 11/09/05 03:40 PM
S
coach
coach
S
>>[2004striker] There is a possibility of just having Bridge & CESA and having Cola, Aiken, Sumter players chose which direction to travel, yet I am not yet sold on the 'training in Cola. concept.' Even though I have not seen it in action, I just don't think those that participate and train away from the core team for a few days can get that 'team feel.'<<

Note that in your proposal that you're asking people from non-Columbia areas to drive 90 miles but you don't want Columbia people to do it. This seems rather askew.

Here's what confuses me the most about those that doubt the "some training remotely" concept -- you've seen it in action for years -- those I know specifically about are the older GFC teams and last year's CESA's teams. It's not like you have to accept anything on faith; the proof is already there.

What I strongly suspect is that there are a lot of people who don't like the "sometimes training remotely" paradigm. I completely understand that. As a parent only training locally is a much simpler concept with which to deal. But it seems strange to confuse what you don't like versus what has been shown to be effective.

Plus there are already in place significant facilities in Cola. area to support one of the major 3. I believe there are enough current/potential players in those 3 respective areas I mentioned, to produce competitive teams among all 3 major clubs.<<

Rock Hill has facilities, Aiken has facilities, etc. Why can't these areas have clubs in your dream? Lexington has absolutely great facilities; why don't we shut down CSC, NECSA, and CRSA and have everyone go there. If facilities were all it took, the Lexington club would have several teams competing for the national championship.

Sigh...you always do this to me about mergers!!! [Smile] As Michael Corleone said "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

#60388 11/09/05 04:04 PM
S
coach
coach
S
>>[2004striker] Due to my red neck upbringing, I have never been too good at quasi-Swiftian questions.<<

Dude...come on...I grew up in Orangeburg...

#60389 11/09/05 04:34 PM
coach
coach
Chico,
Sorry, I have drawn you back into the merger issue. At least you can say that you have avoided the temptation of the Red Neck League thread. And how have I allowed my 'dream Cola area merger' to go statewide?? (I gotta get some rest, or else find a slower paced sports forum like tennis).

#60390 11/10/05 05:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2004 Just like Chico's Godfather reference......The time to strike is now!!!

You have one leg cut off go for the other. If you really want to see soccer grow grab some "big time" parents and start something NOW!!!!!

#60391 11/09/05 06:06 PM
coach
coach
Shearer, my drunken friend,
Soccer in Cola. is big enough now, its just not consolidated as I wish it would be. "Big time" parents in Cola. don't want quality soccer. They want social soccer where all their little Shearers and Mary Janes get equal playing time.

#60392 11/09/05 06:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a feeling that had something to do w/ Eddie leaving. I don't see Pearse and Andrew not getting thier way too much up at CESA. Eddie had to fight tooth and nail to get anything done at CSC.

WOW We agree??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#60393 11/09/05 06:36 PM
coach
coach
Well.... I don't know what happened with Eddie, but I can imagine. My view of the soccer social scene in Cola. is analogous with that of the social support of the Carolina football team..... neither really demands a winner, as long as they can have their good times, i.e., partying/tailgating and social Saturdays.

#60394 11/09/05 07:14 PM
coach
coach
Chico,
I failed to address your prior questions. As far as travel goes, it is probably only an hr. from Aiken/Augusta to Cola. and even less travel from Sumter area. As far as fields go, that was just a response to your suggestion that there be just 2 clubs - Bridge and CESA. The facilities are in place. But I know it takes much more to produce a winner; primarily coaching, which is also in place in the central area. Either its a no-brainer or I gotta start drinking some brown ale with Shearer. Oh.....but I gotta keep telling myself...that its a dream.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard