Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
K
Can anyone suggest who the best Goalkeepers in SC Select Soccer are by Age? (And what high school do they play for?) Thanks.
U18
U17
U16
U15

brace
brace
Since their teams are usually quite good and they are playing in the Premier league, you can probably start with the CESA Premier keepers. Most, if not all of them are outstanding.

K
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
K
Here's my list, based on who I've seen:
Phillip Ricciardone Mt Pleasant U18, Bishop England
Brian Anderson Bridge U17, Wando
Michael Flato Jr. Bridge U16, Bishop England
U15 - I can't comment cause that's my group, but I'd like to hear your comments to know the competition. Thanks

BTW - Here's some Goalkeeper trivia:
National Record for Most GK Shutouts, Career (High School)
74 Mike Gallagher Christian Brothers (St. Louis, MO) 1994-1997
68 Justin Chelland St. Benedict’s Prep (Newark, NJ) 1999-2002
57 Dean Short Bath (Bath, NY) 1994-1997
56 Michael Rostin Wando (Mount Pleasant, SC) 1994-1999
55 Chris Lura Hamilton (Hamilton, N.Y.) 1994-1998
52 Jeff Gower Greenwood (Springfield, MO) 1992-1995
52 Chatham Rowe Wando (Mount Pleasant, SC) 1999-2002
52 John Miglarese Wando (Mount Pleasant, SC) 1992-1996
51 Hank Graef St. Mary's (St. Louis, MO) 1969-1972

NOTE: Rostin, Rowe & Miglarese were all coached by Mr. Dick Gross, Goalkeeper Coach at Wando High School

Pretty amazing that in the top ten are three from Wando!

coach
coach
George Rusche U18 CSC Navy(13-1-4) has 1.1 GA in 18 games which includes 2 tournaments and challenge season.

G
goal kick
goal kick
G
U18 - Brendon Smith CESA Premeire also JL Mann HS
along with Mark Dimagio(sp)Northwestern HS they have given up only 6 goals all season in premeire league. Three losses all by 1 goal to Concorde 1-0 , CASL 2-1 and Forsyth Fusion 2-1.

G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Sorry my mistake the CASL game was a 3-2 loss all the others posted were correct. All the other games have been shut-outs. In the Atlanta Cup Semi's Mark stopped two PK's against Strictly Soccer out Fla. to win the game. Both very good in the goal.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I would say
u18-Philip Ricciardone (but George Rushe is outstanding
u17-jason mccabe (both the Bridge Premier Keeper and challenge keeper are good)
and I don't really know about u16 or u15, but I would guess that the necsa premeir keeper is good

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
I would say at U16 boys level one would have to include Greg DeMare from CSC on the list of best. His leadership abilities and communication skills are a league above those in his age group. He is contantly coaching and encouraging his teammates. He is very quick on his line and comes out with focus and purpose.

MP Offline
goal kick
goal kick
I would also include Joey Calandra of Bridge (U17 I believe, maybe U16) on this list. He quit this team for a while but will be returning soon. Regardless of opinion, Bishop England has three stellar goalies coming up in Ricciardone, Calandra, and Flato.

J
goal kick
goal kick
J
In the U18's, I hear a good bit about George Rushe form Dreher and I have seen him play, but given a choice I would take Brendan Smith from JL Mann.

For the U17's Mike Gubash is a small but extremely quick and talented keeper with incredible moves. I have not seen him in the high school scene arena so I do not know where he plays.

Both U16 CESA Premier keepers started as Freshman on their high school teams. Ian Rose starts for Riverside and Shane Hoover starts for Mauldin. It's no surprise that both those teams did extremely well last year.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Who does Mike Gubash play for? club and high school.

brace
brace
I believe that Gubash plays for CESA U17 Premier. Not sure on the high school.

P
corner kick
corner kick
P
Here's my picks:

U18 George Rushe-pure talent

P
corner kick
corner kick
P
U17-Mike Gubash- i've only seen him play a couple of times but when I have seen him play he was very talented
U16-I'd have to agree with Shrink on this one, CSC u16 keep is very good and quick also a real vocal leader, he is the only reason they lost only lost to NECSA 1-0 he made some great saves but Flato is definetly a close second.
U15-not many good keeps in that age group

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
disagree on the U16 selection... For Sure there are other keepers in that age group better than the CSC keep...

P
corner kick
corner kick
P
Why do you disagree, we stated that others were good too(Flato Jr. Bridge FA)

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
because the thread is "the best goalkeepers in the state by age". He is not the best, I have not seen CESA P play so I cannot comment. Flato for sure is better

P
corner kick
corner kick
P
To each it's own i guess....have you ever seen him play?

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Yes I have, he does work with his defenders but does not organize them as well as they should. Keeper capability wise he is average, lacks size. Would I kick off my team? No.

Is Flato better? yes, but he is a hothead and can be easily taken out of the game.

Are there others in the age group? Yes
I would place him in the top 4 including CESA Premier and NECSA in the mix.

So pros and cons and as you said to each his own...

F
kick off
kick off
F
quote:
Originally posted by GFCPOP21:
U18 - Brendon Smith CESA Premeire also JL Mann HS
along with Mark Dimagio(sp)Northwestern HS they have given up only 6 goals all season in premeire league. Three losses all by 1 goal to Concorde 1-0 , CASL 2-1 and Forsyth Fusion 2-1.

Mark DiMaggio plays for Fort Mill High School.

goal
goal
JL Mann can't and won't beat Riverside next year. Doesn't matter who is in the net!

L
kick off
kick off
L
We will find out on March 8th Always Right. I think it will be a good game though.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
There is this goalie that is only in the 8th grade and is playing for our youth 18 team. He plays for edisto but cannot play due to being in the 8th grade. he has had numerous shut-outs on the season and has only been scored on in 4 of our games and only a total of 10-12 goals on the season. Look out for him in edisto in the next few years.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
you play rec!

K
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
K
On GAA, a low GAA alone doesn't mean the Keeper is that good (field players could be exceptional). Need to look at the SA/GAA ratio for better comparison. Meola had a ratio of 10+ which is outstanding, 5-6+ is considered Good! GAA is easy to calculate but saves are somewhat subjective. Team statisticians don't record Keeper stats nor post on Hotstat. Most don't know what a 'shot' is: (See: NCAA 2005 Soccer Statisticians' Manual)
That's why I asked the question, there is no good source of information on SC Keeper's. It should be part of the Hotstat Game report but isn't, again, a complete lack of understanding of the position (and the game) by SCYSA.

MP-agree, about Calandra (another Dusty Hudock product), just haven't seen him much lately.

dwel32-your right, not many good keeps at U15. I think it's due to a lack of ANY emphasis by the team coaches. The position takes a lot of personnal commitment. Most coaches expect the Keep to get enough training by getting shot on by field players at practice and by the time their U15-16 most Keeps get bored (from poor training leading to frustration) and move on.

K
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
K
On Goalkeeper Training:
Most teams practice 2-3 times a week. Most coaches that I've seen emphasize their practice sessions toward field player: strategy, individual techniques and conditioning (I say field player because there are 14-16 on the team and coaches feel that focusing limited practice on field players maximizes their productivity). So, let's face it, most soccer clubs fail at producing talented goalkeepers.

Specialized training is required to teach the aspects of goalkeeping, including catching, punching away, deflections, low and medium dives (both directions), forward dives and forward punches, tipping over the cross-bar, handling breakaways, punting and other forms of distribution, including rolling and slinging to open players (short & medium range and over players). Concentration and intensity, knowledge of the game, positioning, and reading developing plays. Ranging in, out, and around the penalty box. The Laws of the game as applied to Keepers, team and individual strategy. Game voice, decisions and commands. Leadership and defensive organization.

If you know of a club that offers this training (NO EXTRA CHARGE) please let me know! Thanks. (BTW Mt Pleasant does offer 1day/wk Keeper training, usually a limited number of sessions per season - no extra charge)

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
CIWS... It is my understanding that CSC, Lex And CESA all provide separate GK training, not sure about the fee. I do not believe NECSA does or any of the smaller clubs.

World Cup
World Cup
In reply to the smaller clubs and what they offer ... The Congaree Rapid Soccer Association offers goalkeeper training twice weekly during the fall season at no additional cost ... Our GK Trainer is David Schroer and he's done a tremendous job with our keepers!

K
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
K
Kevin,
Hi, I googled David and this is what I could find:
David Schroer - Goalkeeper Trainer / Academy
Education: USC / Socastee High School (2001)
Coaching Experience: 3 Years; Brookland-Cayce High School Goalkeeper and Assistant Coach (2005); Memo Suarez Soccer School (2003-05)
CRSA Experience: Second Year

Do you have a Bio or additional College/Professional experience for him? Thanks in advance.

K
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
K
Futbol, who are the Keeper Trainers at those clubs?

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Lex... Alan Riches
CSC...Mat Smith
CESA ...Keith Fredricksen

Goal
Goal
Wasn't Alan Riches part of the scandal at USC with the women's soccer coaching staff under Sue Kelly?

S
bench
bench
S
DSC always offers free goal keeper training to all players. This year with DOC Mike Gabb (Winthrop men's and women's keeper trainer) and Steve Winton, former Winthrop GK. In past years it was Teddy Meyers, Winthrop's keeper trainer, and Steve Winton.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what scandal?

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Free? DSC players dont pay to play? it could be at no additional charge, but it is not free.

K
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
K
Thanks, Wow - looks like the clubs are actually taking care of the Keepers. Curious though, do the teams really send their Keepers - say during regular practice sessions or do they go voluntarily an extra day of the week. Also, how many days per week is Keeper training offered (1,2,3..) and can you go to each? At Mt. P its offered once per week, voluntary, if the day coincides with regular practice I don't believe there is a makeup, coaches encourage their Keeps to attend, and there are about 7-9 sessions per season - depends on whether there are any Mt P teams in playoffs and if the Keeps want to continue to practice during that time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He may not be in club soccer but he does play for emerald high school. This now junior managed to shutout Bishop England in the championship game in 2005 after first goalie got red carded ten minutes into the game. His name is Josh Dean. He has numerous shut outs and deserves to be elected as best goalie in the state.

F
throw in
throw in
F
Back to the question.

Ian Rose-Riverside High School (greenville)
Gubash- CESA Premier

K
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
K
Any SC programs sending a coach? I'd go if I could just to let the coaches practice with me.

U.S. Soccer Introduces Goalkeeping License Course for Coaches

10/20/05 4:38 PM

CHICAGO, Ill. (Thursday, October 20, 2005) - While the U.S. has successful goalkeepers at international and top club levels around the world, there is still more work to be done developing the talent at this position. With this in mind, U.S. Soccer is looking to further develop the Goalkeeping position and coach. This inaugural course will act as a foundation for what plans to be the first in a series of educational opportunities offered.

The inaugural school will be held at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, Calif. from January 5 – 10, 2006. Space is limited and the course is filling up quickly so act soon by applying at www.ussoccer.com

National Coaching Schools Schedule of Courses

The U.S. Soccer National Goalkeeper License is intended for both the Goalkeeper coach and the team coach. This initial license will develop and or expand their goalkeeping knowledge useful at the youth, collegiate, senior and professional levels. It will cover the principles and the components that go into developing goalkeepers, and it will encourage the team coach to prepare and plan for the goalkeepers development needs - not just daily - but over an entire season.

“The U.S. has produced some world-class goalkeepers and, with this license and future courses to be added, we hope to develop many more,” said U.S. Men’s National Team Goalkeeper coach and lead instructor for this inaugural course Phil Wheddon.

The course will instruct coaches on how to plan and manage their goalkeeper’s development over the course of an entire season. It features in-depth coverage of the technical, tactical, psychological and fitness components of the goalkeeper position. Similar to other U.S. Soccer Coaching Courses, this course will offer an interactive learning experience featuring field sessions, audio and video and traditional lectures.

Designed as a compliment to the U.S. Soccer “A”, “B” & “C” License courses, the six-day school includes field and classroom sessions and concludes with intensive testing on theoretical and practical applications of the game. The course also includes valuable instruction in coaching methodology, team management and fitness.

For the inaugural Goalkeeping License applicants must hold the following pre-requisites:

1. USSF “A” License or,
2. NSCAA Premier Diploma or,
3. USSF “B” License or,
4. NSCAA Advanced National Diploma and a Goalkeeper Level I Diploma or,
5. USSF “C” License or,
6. NSCAA National Diploma and a Goalkeeper Level II Diploma.

As the Goalkeeping License develops, U.S. Soccer may revisit the pre-requisites required to attend.

Upon successful completion (passing grade) of the U.S. Soccer Goalkeeping License, attendees to this school with an “A“ License will receive eight Continuing Education credits - the entire compliment needed to keep their license current.

You may apply directly online or click here to download an application. For more information, please contact the U.S. Soccer Coaching Department at coaches@ussoccer.org or 312.808.1300.

www.ussoccer.com is the official website of U.S. Soccer, the governing body of soccer in the United States.

Brace
Brace
I'm sure that these are good classes, but aren't most of these sessions just money makers for the parent organization?

Goal
Goal
ya really who cares about a stupid peice of paper that says you paid the 150 or so odd dollars for someone to tell you or show your something that a competent gk instructor already knows

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard