Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
Shearer: Understood. You're right, CESA is only of 18 months old. My perspective goes back a little further, as many of the training and coaching paradigms in use seem to be the best-case of the constituent clubs. But nevertheless, that's not a ton of history...and with this newly announced Columbia program, there are even more questions.

One of the things I do is invest. When I look at smaller companies with limited histories, I look at two things first and foremost: the market for their products/services and their ability to execute. The ability to execute comes from the operational leadership of the company. My bets are on CESA -- because my bets are on the people involved in this in both metropolitan areas.

I honestly don't know where training will be; however, I know that the folks arranging it understand the "pecularities" of gaining access to Columbia-area soccer fields and have an array of options engaged. Again...not trying to blow anyone off...but if you want to know specifics then you need to use the contact information in the press release.

coach
coach
Shearer,

I can't really address any of your questions, cause I ain't involved. I am only good at stirring up trouble and having wild dreams. I cannot predict how all levels will be organized, but I am mainly interested, and can only speak on, the mechanics employed to attain the highest level in the respective age groups. One quality result I hope to see from this would be that there would be one high level team per age group that can be successful on a regional/national basis. As far as travel, after you established your select team (that will be composed of players from upstate, Cola. and possibly the Aiken to Sumter corridor and maybe some from lowcountry to have a true statewide select team); you could have full team practices/training in Cola. once a week, and then in the respective Greenville/Columbia areas the rest of the week. It will probably not be a best of Greenville-area CESA select team v. best of Cola. area CESA select team. To be successful on a regional/national basis, it will have to be one select statewide team per age group.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is a stream-of-consciousness post, but I will try to keep it short.

One long-term outcome of this would appear to be the creation of "permanent" ODP-type teams. However, many of us have seen that it is difficult for SC to be consistently competetive in the region in the ODP environment. I believe that soccer is a team sport, not just a bunch of all-stars thrown on a field together. The players need to practice TOGETHER AS A TEAM on a consistent, regular basis. If I personally could afford the time and $ (especially with the price of gas these days) to drive to the Greenville area, that would be one thing. Since I don't have either, that is not an option for my family. So, unless the "teams" would be "localized" then it is not appealing to me. And if they are, I fail to see the long-term benefit. For others, and whatever reasons they may have, it may be something they are interested in. I must say I am a little disappointed in the ex-CSC staffers only because I have listened to what they have said to the parents and players over the past several years and I believed them. I guess I am naive and believe alot of rhetoric. But, in the end, people have to do what is best for themselves and families.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Chico as usual thank you for the information....

I will give it more thought and post later.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's Closed. Never went in it was "old"

oh and 2004 sucker didn't you mean "wet" dreams

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was big in Knock knock and No Name. That was my spot.....but that was a long time ago in a "galaxy" far far away......(well off of Sparkelberry)!!!

coach
coach
Shearer plays the part of Lloyd Christmas in this classic:

'Lloyd Christmas: Excuse me, miss, what's the soup du jour?
Waitress: The Soup of the Day.
Lloyd Christmas: Mmmm...sounds good, think I'll have that.'

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what????????

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
There has been discontent at CSC, mostly with the former DOC. It wasn't that parents were complaining about their child getting playing time or being on the 'A' or 'B' team, but they were dissatisfied with the coaches evaluations and the poor quality training that was offered to the younger players. Quite a few players were considering traveling to CESA simply to get better training than they were being offered at CSC. Now that CESA is picking up some of those responsible for the poor training at CSC, will they still want to go the CESA route with the possibility of getting the coaching they were trying to get away from?

Maybe they're better coaches than administrators. Could be that a DOC needs to be more of a manager than a coach? Who knows, not me.

What is curious though is the belief that to be a great soccer player you have to participate in a specific club. My question is how do all the South American and European kids become so good? Do they have all these club organizations, each claiming to be better than the other? Or do they just play, and play, and play and play whether it's in the school yard, the backyard the dirt roads through the town. Do they play with teams or just one or two friends who live nearby, or by themselves just for entertainment?

coach
coach
Shearer,
Just like George W., you just don't get it!

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard