coach
OP Offline
coach
S
[Link to Rock Hill Herald Article]

Manchester Meadows soccer complex Still a lot of turf left to mark
City searches for donors who want to name a field

By Matt Garfield The Herald
Two soccer-loving Rock Hill families have paid $75,000 each to have fields at the Manchester Meadows soccer complex named in their honor.
But more than a year after the city started selling naming rights at the facility off Dave Lyle Boulevard, no others have bought into the deal.

Now, with the opening of Manchester Meadows fast approaching, officials are ratcheting up their search for donations that are crucial to paying for maintenance costs once the complex opens.

"I have confidence Rock Hill is going to step up," said Ed Thompson, director of the city's Parks, Recreation & Tourism Department. "But it may take a little while."

When the idea for Manchester Meadows was hatched more than three years ago, city leaders thought selling sponsorships to businesses and families would be a good way to help cover more than $300,000 in annual upkeep costs. That figure includes everything from cutting grass to replacing old picnic tables.

Six fields available

The plan hasn't materialized yet, but supporters are optimistic it soon will. The city has begun approaching civic groups such as the Rotary Club to ask for support.

Six fields are still available at $50,000 for a lifetime sponsorship or $25,000 for five years. Other features such as a playground and lake also are available to sponsor.

"Once people see how that park is going to look, I think we'll have a lot of interest," said Bev Carroll, vice chairwoman of the city's Parks Commission. "I'm amazed all the time at how people don't know what's going on. Once that whole thing gets going, I think we'll have donors."

If more sponsors don't sign on by the time the park opens next fall, Thompson said the city might be forced to cut costs by reducing the park's hours or putting in fewer amenities. Sponsors are expected to cover 10 to 15 percent of maintenance.

Such cutbacks would be important because they could hurt the city's chances of landing top-notch national tournaments.

"I guess a lot of people don't understand," said Shirley Brannan, whose family grew up playing soccer and has sponsored one of two championship fields.

"They don't understand for a town to progress and be something special, you've got to have things like this. If people only understood the money that comes in, I think they would be more inclined to help."

Manchester Meadows is expected to become to soccer what Cherry Park is to softball -- a landmark that lures amateur tournaments and millions of dollars in tourism.

Tournaments at Cherry Park generate an average of $4 million in direct economic impact each year.

'A football town'

While teams from across the country may flock to the facility once it opens, its sponsors must come from Rock Hill. And that, says one longtime local soccer coach, is the challenge. "Rock Hill is a football town," said Lou Pantuosco, who teaches sports finance at Winthrop University. "I don't mean to minimize soccer, but there's not really a tradition around here."

Other South Carolina cities have had greater success because their leagues are organized under one umbrella, making it easier to raise money and build support.

In Greenville, for example, the Carolina Elite Soccer Academy represents teams from across the city. It manages a complex similar to the one Rock Hill is building, using money it received from the Bi-Lo grocery company.

"Soccer is not united around here," Pantuosco said. "People would be so much better off if it was. You're talking about a group of 1,000 families coming together. They're going to have 1,000 connections. It's a bigger networking opportunity."

Like the Brannans, the Carlisle family of Rock Hill gave $75,000 to permanently name a championship field.

Part of the difficulty in finding others is that businesses are giving heavily to charities and hurricane relief campaigns, leaving little for causes deemed less essential.

Meanwhile, families often can't afford high-priced investments even when they want to.

"The Brannans and the Carlisles have a connection," Pantuosco says. "It's a legacy for them and their family. There's only so many families that are willing to drop 75 grand for having a legacy."

Matt Garfield • 329-4063

mgarfield@heraldonline.com

world cup
world cup
I pulled into the parking lot of this complex a couple of days ago.

Wow!

You have to see it to believe it. Eight full-sized, lighted, state-of-the-art fields. Two of them with synthetic field turf and mini grandstands. The clubhouse building is modern and spacious. This is bigger & better than I ever though it could be, one of the finest soccer complexes on the eastern seaboard.

What makes it stand above the rest is LOCATION. This place is right off of I-77, not out in the farm lands thirty minutes outside of town. Manchester Meadows is prime real estate. The complex parking lot is attached to the "retail mecca" of York County. You can WALK from the fields to the movie theater, Hilton Garden Inn, Target, Best Buy, Books A Million and every fast food joint and family restaurant you can imagine. On the other side of the interstate, about a quarter mile away, is the Rock Hill Galleria Mall.

You couldn't create a better place to host a youth soccer tournament.

Well done Rock Hill Parks & Rec.....great job!

world cup
world cup

world cup
world cup
Soccer park grand opening

Manchester Meadows, the 70-acre soccer park off Dave Lyle Boulevard, will have a grand opening next month, according to the City of Rock Hill.The June 11 event is scheduled to last from 3 to 6 p.m. The public is invited to participate in soccer demonstrations, self-guided tours and a scavenger hunt. Live music will be played.

Manchester Meadows was financed in part by the city's 2-cent "restaurant tax" on prepared meals. The park features six lighted regulation soccer fields and two championship fields with lights and scoreboards. The park can accommodate 1,500 spectators and includes a pond, playground area and walking and bike trails.

If there is rain June 11, the event will be moved to June 13 at 5 p.m.

world cup
world cup
Congratulations to the City of Rock Hill and the Discoveries Soccer Club on the opening of Manchester Meadows yesterday.

http://www.heraldonline.com/109/story/3438.html

Brace
Brace
Great place! Way to go Rock Hill.

Link Copied to Clipboard