Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
#61073 12/19/05 11:33 PM
L
goal kick
goal kick
L
The cost of soccer has been discussed ad nauseum on this board, and I hate to hijack this thread into another discussion, but since we've started, I'll continue:

I'm pretty sure that Wayne Rooney's development path cost as much as Maria Sharipova's. The only question is who pays for it. I'm sure both of their parents made an initial outlay, but both were good enough to obtain sponsorship at an early age. Another good example is Freddy Adu, and I did not see any players like him in Lexington on Sunday.

For the parents on this board, we need to decide how much of this is a game for our kids, and how much of it is a "development path". I don't mind driving a beater car so that I can spend a bit more money on my kids' hobbies (and a bit more on my own, which ain't cheap either). But I'm not kidding myself into thinking this is anything more than a game.

PS. SoccerPOP, I'm thrilled to hear that the girls had a good turnout. I know several 1992 girls who went, but I haven't talked to them or their parents. I hope my home-girls make the team, but I'm even more interested in seeing SC become stronger on the girls side.

#61074 12/20/05 01:17 AM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
On Tryouts: The weather was terrible, I've seen most players perform much better, but, better players can show their talent in any conditions.

On Numbers: I was dissappointed in the lack of numbers in South Carolina, some age groups were definitely worse than others - notable were the 1991's. Early ages just don't commit and play other sports, older ages just give up. The 90's (good numbers) and 91's (bad numbers) should have been the most.

On Cost: My two sons pay for half the cost of all their training (camps and individual). They referee, dog sit, baby sit & lawn maintenance. A 92 & 91, if they're that committed, the least I can do is pay for travel and club costs.

I guess that's how I can afford an SUV?

#61075 12/20/05 03:53 AM
M
goal kick
goal kick
M
Lurker,

Honestly, Rooney's parents will have barely paid anything for his development. Think about it, Everton have him, and realize how much potential he has, and therefore pay for everything, because if they don't, Rooney's parents will just move him to another club. On the Freddy note, as soon as he was picked to go into residency in Bradenton, his parents no longer had to pay for anything, so really, he has been a relatively inexpensive child for them. Sharapova's parents will definitely have paid a lot more then Rooneys for the success they have enjoyed.

#61076 12/20/05 04:52 AM
S
goal
goal
S
Man U Fan-

Sharapova is also in residency in Bradenton. Adu and Sharapova enjoyed time togeather at IMG in Bradenton FL. Sharapova's IMG roommate's father, who is a options trader in New York financed her stay until the endorsement deals started to come. Also IMG receives a portion of her pro money.

#61077 12/20/05 07:36 AM
M
goal kick
goal kick
M
I realize this, as I did go to IMG as well. However, before Sharapova became a player who looked as if she was going to do well, her parents were paying for her to live there and attend Bolletieri.

#61078 12/20/05 12:47 PM
S
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
S
You will be notified if you are invited to the next tryout which is the games being held in Concorde NC in January. Check your email. My child received his notice this morning.

I personally would rather be paying extra for my child to be playing soccer rather than her/him running the streets. Not only that, we have had some very good times in the car traveling here and there. Great bonding time and also a great time to learn your child. I've learned some very interesting things - great time for those teenagers to really talk to you.

#61079 12/20/05 03:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am curious to know what coaches were at ODP try-outs. Someone told me that he was helping with the try-outs. It was with the boys and it left me a little concerned. He totally lacks experience and he is in his very first year in coaching a girls team. Can anyone tell me what qualifications they look at in choosing ODP coaches and their assistants?

#61080 12/20/05 04:04 PM
S
goal
goal
S
The coaches present at the 1992 boys tryouts were Raplh Lundy, COC Head Coach; Bert Molinary, USC Assistant; Will Eudy, Cardinal Newman's new head coach and a Coach Sako? (not sure). The tryout was well coordinated as there was not alot of standing around between drills and the coaches commanded the kids respect. I felt confident that the kids received strong and competant instruction while trying out.

#61081 12/20/05 04:59 PM
C
goal
goal
C
It is my understanding that the Head Coach selects their own Assistants. It is hard to find good Assitants since ODP doesn't pay for any of their expenses. Which I know has been a sore point in the past, when a Head Coach gets a really good assitant that they want to go with them to the ODP camp.

I am not sure how they select the head coaches but I have not seen that to be a problem in the past. Most of the head coaches tend to be very good.

I am interested in why the low turnout on the boys side. My daughter has been every year except last year, in which she went to England instead of ODP. And the numbers and quality of players has only gotten better over the years. I know the younger age groups had great numbers. As an 89 player they had about 25-30 players high quality players at the tryout, which I found very exciting. The proof is in the pudding they won all their region games last summer.

#61082 12/20/05 08:30 PM
S
goal
goal
S
Man U Fan-

What year did you attend IMG and what team did you play for ? Also who was your coach and how was your experience at the academy. Heck I might know you.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard