Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
#61083 12/21/05 07:12 PM
goal
goal
Does anyone know what (if any) teams besides the 93's have sent out invitations?

BTW...Bert Molinary IS the head coach for the 92's, but he was unable to attend the tryouts Sunday.

Regarding coaches and qualifications - I learned several years ago that you have to take each case separately....I have played for a college coach with an "A" license, whom I would not trust to coach a micro or rec team; and, I have worked with a gentleman with no license whatsoever and little (coaching) experience, whom I would be happy to have coach my son until he goes off to college (or longer).

#61084 12/21/05 07:30 PM
S
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
S
90's and 91's have gone out.

#61085 12/21/05 09:05 PM
S
goal
goal
S
92's have gone out!

Coach Molinary was absent for the morning session but made the afternoon session.

#61086 12/28/05 01:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
Originally posted by lurker:
Having seen a lot of U-13 soccer this year, I know that these were not the best players from the state. There were some very good players at the try outs, but I've seen much better during the season. If a roster of 18 of these players are chosen, it will probably not be very competitive at a regional level.

Well, if you saw alot of the U13 soccer this year, you should have seen some if not most of the talent in the 92's. ODP runs on calendar year, club soccer runs by season. Yes, the 93's seemed a little small, but this is the first year that ODP isn't letting kids "play -up". So maybe the other states will have the same issues? Just a thought.

#61087 12/28/05 04:05 AM
S
goal
goal
S
Lurker-

If you watched several U-13 games this year, the 93's you saw at the tryouts were not the same players. If you were looking for size 92's have plenty. Also 92's had large turnout, approx 50 girls. 92's looked to have good talent with several new players making the first cut. Their were a couple of 93's that do play up an age group for a U-13 team.

#61088 12/28/05 04:07 AM
S
goal
goal
S
Lurker-
My post is for the girls side of ODP.

#61089 01/04/06 01:47 PM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
I, for one, am a little disenfranchised with this year's tryouts. Yes, they were well organized but I don't see the merits of holding a ONE day only tryout. It seems like it would have been a more "well-rounded" tryout to have had taken more players to this thing in Concord so that players could be seen in game situations. I know of a few good players who were assigned alternate positions for their ODP squad this year yet they are starters on their PREMIER club teams and were on the "A" team last year. What's that all about?

#61090 01/04/06 09:06 PM
G
throw in
throw in
G
I agree with other messages about the Boy ODP tryouts being well organized (good job Mary/Van). I think that a one-day tryout is also tough on the coaches to make an equitable decision in a short time. Regarding costs, I agree that 1500 is a lot of money. That said, the costs for the Concord trip is $185. Considering what SCYSA is providing: travel, food, lodging, training, and the administrative support this is a reasonably priced weekend. From my family's perspective, this is probably a good way to see whether we should make the time commitment down the road to tryout for one of the state's regional clubs (CESA, CSC/NESCA, or BFA) rather than staying with the local club.

Regarding differences between the 91 and 93 boys tryout, I imagine it was somewhat interesting to have some U12 players (young 93s) that have only played 8v8 (unless they're playing up) compete against old 93s (playing U13) that have probably been playing 11v11 for their 3rd year. I wonder if that led to the tryout strategy.

#61091 01/04/06 10:17 PM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
"merits of holding a ONE day only tryout"
vs "taken more players to Concord"

These two comments are unrelated, everyone knew there was only a single day tryout and the players with DESIRE showed up - GOOD ON THEM - the coaches can only go with that and that's how the teams were formed.

"I know of a few good players who were assigned alternate positions for their ODP squad this year yet they are starters on their PREMIER club teams and were on the "A" team last year.
What's that all about?"

Not everyone on a Premier team is Premier caliber, it just means that the team as a whole was better than the rest of the teams. ODP is comprised of individuals with talent (out of the pool that shows up), a Classic player may in fact be ODP material, however their club team may even be mediocre. Also, I know of some of SC's best players who for their own reason chose NOT to participate in ODP, perhaps more VG players tried out and thus displaced the ones you know.

#61092 01/05/06 02:40 AM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
"merits of holding a ONE day only tryout"
vs "taken more players to Concord"

The point I was trying to relay here was that I felt like tryouts should have consisted of BOTH as everyone has a bad day now and then especially given the horrible weather.

Another point I meant to add in my original email is that I feel there should be continuity of communication between the coach from the previous year to the coach of the current year. For example, the 91 squad has had 3 coaches in as many years. I think a different coach each year is fine, however, the outgoing coach should communicate with the incoming coach about players. Last year, the coach, (Richie) had cut some players but then after having seen them again at another tryout, admitted he "totally missed" them and proceeded to put them on the "A" squad. This year, the same thing has happened but the coach is nowhere to be found and has no way of communicating with the incoming coach.

I take exception to the statement about DESIRE. Everyone has a bad day now and then. I think the format of a ONE day tryout does a disservice to everyone...coaches AND players.

If a player on a premier team isn't premier caliber, then they wouldn't make the team to begin with...especially as teams get older. It is more and more difficult to add players to premier level teams.

We can agree to disagree...I only wanted to state my thoughts on the tryouts.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard