Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#61063 12/19/05 01:10 PM
S
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
S
Just wanted to say that I thought the tryouts yesterday for the boys went quite well. It was a little disappointing that more 89's, 91's or 93's did not show.

Do you think the weather had something to do with it? It was terribly cold and wet.

#61064 12/19/05 02:16 PM
R
goal kick
goal kick
R
I hope the weather didn't keep them away. I heard something very interesting when Mary Bynum spoke to the parents. If the player wasn't there yesterday and they weren't injured or had a family emergency, they can't come later this year. They have to wait until next year. The 90's had a great turnout.

That will make it a lot easier for the coaches to pick the teams since they know the pool already.

I will have to say that I was impressed with the way the tryouts were handled. It was the most organized of any year that I have ever seen. I hope that they keep up the good work and continue to improve.

#61065 12/19/05 02:31 PM
J
throw in
throw in
J
I have an interesting observation from yesterday. In driving around the parking lot there seemed to be a large number of luxury cars parked. Back in the day, my Father would drive me to practice in an F-100 pick-up.

Is soccer becoming a rich man's game? With all the gear the kid's have today it seems that tryouts are becoming a fashion show with a dress to impress aura.

Overall I was very glad to see more than one staff member evaluating the boys. Good luck to all.

#61066 12/19/05 03:41 PM
R
goal kick
goal kick
R
You obviously overlooked my plain white chevy pickup while you eyed all the other vehicles. I have to agree that it is getting harder for the little guy to afford playing for the bigger clubs, especially if they attend a lot of big tournaments and play in premier league. And on top of that, you add gas if you have to travel to practice. If my son was still playing in Greenville when gas was $3 a gallon, it would cost $30 just to go to one practice.

#61067 12/20/05 05:36 AM
L
goal kick
goal kick
L
I watched the 1993 and 1991 groups. The two groups were quite different. The 1993s spent most of the time doing 'footability' drills, dribbling, passing, etc. There was some small sided and full sided play at the end of the session, but this was not the focus of the try out. The coach who did most of the organizing was very impressive, with a great demeanor towards the kids. Although this was officially an evaluation and not a training session, the coach did some instruction and correction of the kids, and this was well received.

The 1991s went almost immediately to small sided possession games, and finished with a long full sided game. There was little to no direct evaluation of skills outside of the competitive environment. I guess that by that age group, it's assumed that the kids can do all of the basic foot skills and juggling tricks.

The quality of the 1991 group impressed me. I would estimate that there were less than 30 players, but the talent looked very good. For the 1993 players (the youngest group), there were approximately 20 players. Having seen a lot of U-13 soccer this year, I know that these were not the best players from the state. There were some very good players at the try outs, but I've seen much better during the season. If a roster of 18 of these players are chosen, it will probably not be very competitive at a regional level.

So, what's keeping the turnout low? Yeah, it was cold and pretty miserable, but you wouldn't have known that when you sent in the application. If you did pay your $75 and decided not to try out because of the weather, you probably shouldn't be on the team anyway.

For the older kids, I think that most have a well defined reason for participating in ODP. For those that are good players limited by geography to classic teams or weaker challenge teams, it's a chance to play at a higher level. For others, it's the hope of being seen by a college coach. But for the 12 - 14 year olds, I have yet to see a distinct "mission statement" for the program. What's in it for them?

As far as the cars in the parking lot go, my old, beat up Civic was discreetly parked between a Lexus and an SUV. Not knowing much about ODP, I asked a parent who had a child play last year about the costs involved. Everything she outlined added up to approximately $1500 for the year. That might explain the lack of cheap cars in the lot.

#61068 12/20/05 05:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's funny the topic always comes up about the high cost of soccer. You hear many different views on the subject. I've talked to many people from England about soccer. I've been told by them that over in England soccer is considered a poor man's sport. If that's the case over there, then what's happened in the U.S? No matter what your view maybe you can't deny soccer in the U.S. can be very costly.

#61069 12/19/05 06:18 PM
L
goal kick
goal kick
L
Soccer can be a very inexpensive game. I played in a pick up game this weekend. The total cost was an old soccer ball and some old cleats.

Soccer can be a very expensive sport. I spent far too much money on my kids this weekend.

In England (and Brazil, Afganistan and China) the game is popular because it is cheap. However, tickets to a Man U game are very expensive, and the development path of a young Wayne Rooney is probably no cheaper than the development path of a young tennis pro.

Don't confuse the game and the sport.

#61070 12/19/05 08:45 PM
corner kick
corner kick
So why is it that the girls do not have the same problem? I heard there were more than 100 at the 92 age group and over 50 at the 91's. It would stand to reason that if it were monitary the girls would have the same problems.

Is it because the boys tend to get pulled to the more "popular" sports and for girls soccer is the popular sport?

Since we are a one sport family (thank goodness)I don't know how the cost of soccer measures up against the more traditional sports. However, I grew up playing soccer and the cost was nothing compared to what it is today. of course that was before we had to pay the state and the club and the coaches and entery fees into 6 tournaments a year ect...
Lets face it Youth soccer today is no longer the grass roots organization it was 20 years ago. Soccer today is big business and thats expensive.

#61071 12/19/05 08:49 PM
M
goal kick
goal kick
M
The difference, however, lurker, is that Wayne Rooney's parents wouldn't have to pay for him. If he was signed by Everton at a very young age, say 9 or 10, he would live close to the training ground and end up pretty much living off of Everton, with them paying for all of his training and gear. The only things he would have to pay for would be what a regular kid would have to pay for, such as food and etc, so in truth, it would be nowhere near as expensive as a tennis kids maturation.

#61072 12/19/05 10:39 PM
S
goal
goal
S
My buick looked pretty nice parked next to the porsche one parent was driving! I would much rather spend the money on soccer than some new video game or computer!

As a parent I felt the tryouts were organized and well run. The 1992 boys had approximately 35 kids trying out. Ralph Lundy ran the tryout with the other 3 coaches obeserving and assisting. The coach for this age group is Bert Molinary. There was some good competition but it is so difficult for the players to shine in a one day tryout.

What is the procedure from here on out? When will the teams be finalized and the players notified?

#61073 12/19/05 11:33 PM
L
goal kick
goal kick
L
The cost of soccer has been discussed ad nauseum on this board, and I hate to hijack this thread into another discussion, but since we've started, I'll continue:

I'm pretty sure that Wayne Rooney's development path cost as much as Maria Sharipova's. The only question is who pays for it. I'm sure both of their parents made an initial outlay, but both were good enough to obtain sponsorship at an early age. Another good example is Freddy Adu, and I did not see any players like him in Lexington on Sunday.

For the parents on this board, we need to decide how much of this is a game for our kids, and how much of it is a "development path". I don't mind driving a beater car so that I can spend a bit more money on my kids' hobbies (and a bit more on my own, which ain't cheap either). But I'm not kidding myself into thinking this is anything more than a game.

PS. SoccerPOP, I'm thrilled to hear that the girls had a good turnout. I know several 1992 girls who went, but I haven't talked to them or their parents. I hope my home-girls make the team, but I'm even more interested in seeing SC become stronger on the girls side.

#61074 12/20/05 01:17 AM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
On Tryouts: The weather was terrible, I've seen most players perform much better, but, better players can show their talent in any conditions.

On Numbers: I was dissappointed in the lack of numbers in South Carolina, some age groups were definitely worse than others - notable were the 1991's. Early ages just don't commit and play other sports, older ages just give up. The 90's (good numbers) and 91's (bad numbers) should have been the most.

On Cost: My two sons pay for half the cost of all their training (camps and individual). They referee, dog sit, baby sit & lawn maintenance. A 92 & 91, if they're that committed, the least I can do is pay for travel and club costs.

I guess that's how I can afford an SUV?

#61075 12/20/05 03:53 AM
M
goal kick
goal kick
M
Lurker,

Honestly, Rooney's parents will have barely paid anything for his development. Think about it, Everton have him, and realize how much potential he has, and therefore pay for everything, because if they don't, Rooney's parents will just move him to another club. On the Freddy note, as soon as he was picked to go into residency in Bradenton, his parents no longer had to pay for anything, so really, he has been a relatively inexpensive child for them. Sharapova's parents will definitely have paid a lot more then Rooneys for the success they have enjoyed.

#61076 12/20/05 04:52 AM
S
goal
goal
S
Man U Fan-

Sharapova is also in residency in Bradenton. Adu and Sharapova enjoyed time togeather at IMG in Bradenton FL. Sharapova's IMG roommate's father, who is a options trader in New York financed her stay until the endorsement deals started to come. Also IMG receives a portion of her pro money.

#61077 12/20/05 07:36 AM
M
goal kick
goal kick
M
I realize this, as I did go to IMG as well. However, before Sharapova became a player who looked as if she was going to do well, her parents were paying for her to live there and attend Bolletieri.

#61078 12/20/05 12:47 PM
S
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
S
You will be notified if you are invited to the next tryout which is the games being held in Concorde NC in January. Check your email. My child received his notice this morning.

I personally would rather be paying extra for my child to be playing soccer rather than her/him running the streets. Not only that, we have had some very good times in the car traveling here and there. Great bonding time and also a great time to learn your child. I've learned some very interesting things - great time for those teenagers to really talk to you.

#61079 12/20/05 03:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am curious to know what coaches were at ODP try-outs. Someone told me that he was helping with the try-outs. It was with the boys and it left me a little concerned. He totally lacks experience and he is in his very first year in coaching a girls team. Can anyone tell me what qualifications they look at in choosing ODP coaches and their assistants?

#61080 12/20/05 04:04 PM
S
goal
goal
S
The coaches present at the 1992 boys tryouts were Raplh Lundy, COC Head Coach; Bert Molinary, USC Assistant; Will Eudy, Cardinal Newman's new head coach and a Coach Sako? (not sure). The tryout was well coordinated as there was not alot of standing around between drills and the coaches commanded the kids respect. I felt confident that the kids received strong and competant instruction while trying out.

#61081 12/20/05 04:59 PM
C
goal
goal
C
It is my understanding that the Head Coach selects their own Assistants. It is hard to find good Assitants since ODP doesn't pay for any of their expenses. Which I know has been a sore point in the past, when a Head Coach gets a really good assitant that they want to go with them to the ODP camp.

I am not sure how they select the head coaches but I have not seen that to be a problem in the past. Most of the head coaches tend to be very good.

I am interested in why the low turnout on the boys side. My daughter has been every year except last year, in which she went to England instead of ODP. And the numbers and quality of players has only gotten better over the years. I know the younger age groups had great numbers. As an 89 player they had about 25-30 players high quality players at the tryout, which I found very exciting. The proof is in the pudding they won all their region games last summer.

#61082 12/20/05 08:30 PM
S
goal
goal
S
Man U Fan-

What year did you attend IMG and what team did you play for ? Also who was your coach and how was your experience at the academy. Heck I might know you.

#61083 12/21/05 07:12 PM
goal
goal
Does anyone know what (if any) teams besides the 93's have sent out invitations?

BTW...Bert Molinary IS the head coach for the 92's, but he was unable to attend the tryouts Sunday.

Regarding coaches and qualifications - I learned several years ago that you have to take each case separately....I have played for a college coach with an "A" license, whom I would not trust to coach a micro or rec team; and, I have worked with a gentleman with no license whatsoever and little (coaching) experience, whom I would be happy to have coach my son until he goes off to college (or longer).

#61084 12/21/05 07:30 PM
S
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
S
90's and 91's have gone out.

#61085 12/21/05 09:05 PM
S
goal
goal
S
92's have gone out!

Coach Molinary was absent for the morning session but made the afternoon session.

#61086 12/28/05 01:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
Originally posted by lurker:
Having seen a lot of U-13 soccer this year, I know that these were not the best players from the state. There were some very good players at the try outs, but I've seen much better during the season. If a roster of 18 of these players are chosen, it will probably not be very competitive at a regional level.

Well, if you saw alot of the U13 soccer this year, you should have seen some if not most of the talent in the 92's. ODP runs on calendar year, club soccer runs by season. Yes, the 93's seemed a little small, but this is the first year that ODP isn't letting kids "play -up". So maybe the other states will have the same issues? Just a thought.

#61087 12/28/05 04:05 AM
S
goal
goal
S
Lurker-

If you watched several U-13 games this year, the 93's you saw at the tryouts were not the same players. If you were looking for size 92's have plenty. Also 92's had large turnout, approx 50 girls. 92's looked to have good talent with several new players making the first cut. Their were a couple of 93's that do play up an age group for a U-13 team.

#61088 12/28/05 04:07 AM
S
goal
goal
S
Lurker-
My post is for the girls side of ODP.

#61089 01/04/06 01:47 PM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
I, for one, am a little disenfranchised with this year's tryouts. Yes, they were well organized but I don't see the merits of holding a ONE day only tryout. It seems like it would have been a more "well-rounded" tryout to have had taken more players to this thing in Concord so that players could be seen in game situations. I know of a few good players who were assigned alternate positions for their ODP squad this year yet they are starters on their PREMIER club teams and were on the "A" team last year. What's that all about?

#61090 01/04/06 09:06 PM
G
throw in
throw in
G
I agree with other messages about the Boy ODP tryouts being well organized (good job Mary/Van). I think that a one-day tryout is also tough on the coaches to make an equitable decision in a short time. Regarding costs, I agree that 1500 is a lot of money. That said, the costs for the Concord trip is $185. Considering what SCYSA is providing: travel, food, lodging, training, and the administrative support this is a reasonably priced weekend. From my family's perspective, this is probably a good way to see whether we should make the time commitment down the road to tryout for one of the state's regional clubs (CESA, CSC/NESCA, or BFA) rather than staying with the local club.

Regarding differences between the 91 and 93 boys tryout, I imagine it was somewhat interesting to have some U12 players (young 93s) that have only played 8v8 (unless they're playing up) compete against old 93s (playing U13) that have probably been playing 11v11 for their 3rd year. I wonder if that led to the tryout strategy.

#61091 01/04/06 10:17 PM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
"merits of holding a ONE day only tryout"
vs "taken more players to Concord"

These two comments are unrelated, everyone knew there was only a single day tryout and the players with DESIRE showed up - GOOD ON THEM - the coaches can only go with that and that's how the teams were formed.

"I know of a few good players who were assigned alternate positions for their ODP squad this year yet they are starters on their PREMIER club teams and were on the "A" team last year.
What's that all about?"

Not everyone on a Premier team is Premier caliber, it just means that the team as a whole was better than the rest of the teams. ODP is comprised of individuals with talent (out of the pool that shows up), a Classic player may in fact be ODP material, however their club team may even be mediocre. Also, I know of some of SC's best players who for their own reason chose NOT to participate in ODP, perhaps more VG players tried out and thus displaced the ones you know.

#61092 01/05/06 02:40 AM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
"merits of holding a ONE day only tryout"
vs "taken more players to Concord"

The point I was trying to relay here was that I felt like tryouts should have consisted of BOTH as everyone has a bad day now and then especially given the horrible weather.

Another point I meant to add in my original email is that I feel there should be continuity of communication between the coach from the previous year to the coach of the current year. For example, the 91 squad has had 3 coaches in as many years. I think a different coach each year is fine, however, the outgoing coach should communicate with the incoming coach about players. Last year, the coach, (Richie) had cut some players but then after having seen them again at another tryout, admitted he "totally missed" them and proceeded to put them on the "A" squad. This year, the same thing has happened but the coach is nowhere to be found and has no way of communicating with the incoming coach.

I take exception to the statement about DESIRE. Everyone has a bad day now and then. I think the format of a ONE day tryout does a disservice to everyone...coaches AND players.

If a player on a premier team isn't premier caliber, then they wouldn't make the team to begin with...especially as teams get older. It is more and more difficult to add players to premier level teams.

We can agree to disagree...I only wanted to state my thoughts on the tryouts.

#61093 01/05/06 03:23 AM
corner kick
corner kick
OK lets hear everyones opinion on this...
I noticed that there is a player named in the 93 pool that doesn't live in SC!

#61094 01/05/06 03:25 AM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Sure we all have bad days, just that better players have fewer bad days.

Yeah, the weather was bad, but good players + desire drives good athletes to perform higher and lack of in marginal athletes to perform lower.

Why worry about continuity of coaches, they aren't playing, a consistantly good player can show his prowess repeatedly no matter the coach.

As stated on the SCYSA board, "each year is a new year and players must tryout again," it's really that simple.

Premier players, 91's aren't that old, players in this age are changing, growth spurts, awkwardness, weight, speed... Premier players come and go at this age, I'll agree with you that come 16+ the changes slow and consistancy becomes more apparent.

Right, I agree to disagree with most of your points. Just my thoughts on the tryouts too.

#61095 01/05/06 03:27 AM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
SoccerPOP, found this on the web, don't know if it also applies to SC:
Rule 2203. Olympic Development Program Player Tryouts

Section 1. Any player wishing to try out for the Olympic Development Program shall do so through the National State Association member of the State in which the Player may be registered under US Youth Soccer Rule 201.

Section 2. Any player released to play in another National State Association under Rule 201, Section 2 (a) may request, in writing, \ permission to try out for the Olympic Development Program in that National State Association.

Written permission must be received from:

the State Association where they are registered
the State Association where they wish to try out
Section 3. A player shall not be eligible to try out for the Olympic development Program in more than one National State Association Member territory. A player shall be responsible for all Olympic Development Program fees of the National State Association in which the try out occurs.

#61096 01/05/06 01:14 PM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Any SC registered player, regardless of where they live, can play SC ODP. If they hold a player card in SC, but reside in NC, they can choose to play SC ODP. Same works for NC. There is alot of this the closer you get to borders of states.

#61097 01/05/06 02:10 PM
corner kick
corner kick
This player is registered and plays in SC but lives in Ga. I think we are fortunate to have them playing for SC ODP...great little player and super nice parents.

I'm not interested in the legality of the issue, I'm more interested in your opinions on residents from other states competeing against SC residents for spots on SC teams. Mine are not in ODP (one dosent want ODP, the other isn't old enough) so personally, I'm not worried about it because mine are not competeing against them for a spot.
But I do see where it could be an issue if you had a "borderline" sc resident get "bumped" by someone from out of state. I know there are two sides to this and would like to hear them both.

#61098 01/05/06 02:40 PM
B
goal
goal
B
I think there's other points to consider when looking at the rosters of players.

I would think that when the coaches are forming the pool/team, they in fact have to break the players into at least 4 groups, keepers, defenders, mids, and forwards. With significant evaluation time, ie, club seasons, coaches can learn which players can play multiple positions, but in the yearly ODP shortened duration, be it 1, 2, 3 tryout sessions these coaches may not be able to determine that. So when you look at the group in this manner, looking for a roster of 18, I don't think it would be prudent to select all mids and forwards and try to create defenders. At the tryout that I observed, somewhere during the session, the players were asked what their position was. GKs are pretty obvious. Relatively small number of hands went up for defenders and forwards and about 20 or more hands went up as mids. With 11 players on the field, 1 keeper, 3 or 4 defenders, 5 or 4 mids, and normally 2 forwards. Looking at subs, another keeper, maybe 2 defenders, 2 forwards, only leaves room for probably 2 mids. This is where the extended club season kicks in because at this level, you reasonably have players that can play multiple positions. So in the cases of only selecting 1 team, you are left to select the team from these smaller pools, and therefore, some interesting selections take place.

Add to this the dynamic of asking the "players" where they play and it gets even more interesting. A player may feel that he is a mid, and therefore when asked, he says mid, but plays as a forward or defender with the club team. So this player that feels he's a mid, may not fully understand that mid is not the best position for him.

I do agree with the coach communication point, to a certain extent. I'd like to add that with different coaches comes different styles of play. I personally think exposure to different styles of play makes the player a more rounded player. There are players that fit in the 4-4-2 for example, but not necessarily fit well in the 3-5-2. If a coach has a particular formation/style of play, then he probably tries to find players to fit that style. So while consistency in coaches would/could add consistency to the rosters, changing coaches and styles may in fact round out the players development.

Just a couple more points to consider.

#61099 01/05/06 02:41 PM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
SoccerPoP, you raise some good points. I guess at the end of the day, it boils down to what is in the best interest of the player. In my earlier post regarding players not make the ODP squad...the point I was trying to express (and not very well, I might add) is just that I personally know of a player who played on the A squad last year but only because he was given another opportunity to show his talent at a competitive event. The coach personally apologized to this kid because he just overlooked him at tryouts. This player is not a flashy player but a good, solid support player. To me, that kind of attribute will be better seen by a coach in a game situation...again, just my opinion. This player went on to make a difference for that squad. And now, that there is once again another coach, and no communication from the previous coach, this particular player has been left behind, again. I didn't mean to go off on that tagent but just wanted to better explain my earlier post. I am by no means a coach...just an observer. For the most part, I do trust their judgments.

In reference to your question...if the player from the other state is a much better player, then he makes the team. That's the way it works. I can see where it might be upsetting to someone if they were displaced by an out of state resident. I guess if it were proposed to make a change in that allowance, it would have to be changed across the board and players would not be allowed to be carded to teams outside their states. In that case, I think you aren't considering what is in the best interest of the player. Although, I am not certain that is what happened in the above refernced situation. This player is a 91 and said there were not many new "standout" players at tryouts for that age group.

Thanks for letting me ramble on...

#61100 01/05/06 03:44 PM
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Bear, I am in complete agreement with the points you raise concerning the communication between coaches. I also agree that different coaching styles can only benefit players. I just wish there was a better line of communication amongst them, especially if they are taking over a team that has had a certain degree of success in the past. The outgoing coach could provide some insight as to his current player's abilities and the new coach wouldn't be taking over a team he knows nothing about.

It's interesting you bring up how players are asked what position they play. The player I was referencing in my earlier posts plays both forward and midfield for his club team. In hindsight, maybe this player should have said they were a midfielder because even though they play as a forward on their club team, they are more of a "support" forward as the team has another standout forward. Granted, the player in question still scores goals, but has spent the majority of his Fall '05 club season playing right-mid. Not much good this will do now as I had heard that the teams going to summer camp will be selected after the weekend in Concord.

#61101 01/06/06 05:37 AM
S
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
S
I also agree with Bear on the players playing with different coaches. All coaches have their style of coaching. This helps players to grow into competitive players.

CWIS*GK - "Yeah, the weather was bad, but good players + desire drives good athletes to perform higher and lack of in marginal athletes to perform lower" - you hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned.

I'm sure those English premier teams' coaches could care less if it were raining, snowing sleeting etc...he expects those players to perform at top level.

The boys need to think of it like this...I have to prove to the coach that I want to play, I can play and I am willing to play in the nastiest weather there is if thats what it takes to make the team.

The boys need to be able to be coached by any coach no matter if it was the coach from last year or a new one. Remember, that coach is not going to follow him to the National pool if he is picked at camp to go on.

#61102 01/06/06 01:36 PM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Bear, I wholeheartedly agree with this observation (seen it alot), "...asking the "players" where they play... A player may feel that he is a mid, and therefore when asked, he says mid, but plays as a forward or defender with the club team. So this player that feels he's a mid, may not fully understand that mid is not the best position for him." In the younger age groups, 14 and below, when given an opportunity to change position they may take it, with the thought that they would rather play another position than what has been assigned them in club soccer. I also see this alot with shifts from club to HS soccer, in some discussions its even recommended for the player to move around to get a more rounded soccer experience to advance at higher levels.

I also agree with your point on coaches and style but at this level, the coach should look at the players he's presented with and create a best fit formation, thus adapt his style - the coaches at ODP should be proficient enough to execute that.

Considering both these points, strong (ODP) players, especially more experienced players, should be able to take direction during a game or at halftime and make the necessary adjustments (formation corrections) handed down by a coach once he assesses the competition. It is important to be able to play multiple positions especially under a limited substitution rule such as collegiate (+) or international level. The player in Taylorbabes' question should have probably let the ODP coach know that he plays more than just a single position.

Also, from what I could tell, most of the selected 91's mids and defs play U15 or U16 (ie playing up). It seems to me that a U14 trying out at 91 would be somewhat disadvantaged from the standpoint of size, speed of play, experience and opponent strength. This unfortunate factor evolves from the difference between Club and ODP cutoff dates.

#61103 01/07/06 06:14 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
from a friend in Concord

89s beat Bama 2-0
90s team 1 lost 2-1 Tn
90s team 2 tied 0-0 Bama
And I thik he said the 93s beat WV (don't remember the score)

#61104 01/07/06 10:36 PM
S
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
S
91's won both of their games 5-0 against WVA and Al.

#61105 01/07/06 10:43 PM
R
goal kick
goal kick
R
One of the 90's teams won 2-1 and 5/6-0. The other 90's team lost 2-1 and tied. I know that the players are being moved between teams a little bit in this age group.

#61106 01/07/06 10:43 PM
S
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
S
93's - beat nc1 - 1-0

lost to Nc2 - 2-1

#61107 01/07/06 11:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually, the 93's beat WV 1-0 and lost to NC 2-1

#61108 01/07/06 11:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Both 92 boys teams lost their second game

3-1
3-0

#61109 01/07/06 11:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have seen alot of u13 soccer this year and was disappointed with the level of play I saw in the ODP games today. I felt that both the SC and WV teams would have been beaten by any number of premier level teams. I thought ODP was supposed to be a level on par or above Premier. There are some quality players out there, but the team play was dismal.

#61110 01/08/06 12:10 AM
S
goal
goal
S
Soccaho-

Exactly, you saw some quality players.

ODP isn't about team play. The objective of ODP is to find the best talent at the different age groups.

#61111 01/08/06 01:41 PM
goal kick
goal kick
Obviously many of you are knowleadgeable about ODP. I am not. Can you all explain the value, or lack thereof, of ODP. I've sure heard a lot of negatives: cost, cursory tryouts, not about team play. But obviously there must be an upside. I would like to know the pros and cons.

#61112 01/08/06 01:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sweet Feet,

If that is the case, the other states seemed to have more quality players (individual talent).

I just assumed they went hand in hand....

Quality players=quality team.

Thanks for your input.

#61113 01/08/06 01:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LeGrazie,

You can check out scysa.org for some insight on ODP.

Ultimately, it is a feeder program for the national team. If you can afford it and your child is serious about soccer, what is wrong with exposing the player to more coaches and players around the country?

#61114 01/08/06 04:46 PM
goal kick
goal kick
I think I understand the concept of ODP. What I meant to ask is whether you considered it to be a positive experience for your son or daughter. Was it worth the money, lost opportunity to do other things etc. Did they improve their play in the program? are there better ways to spend your soccer time?

#61115 01/08/06 09:03 PM
goal
goal
Soccaho,

I know that the Georgia teams were not in Concord, but I will use them as an example - I believe their teams have been playing together for a couple months now. If any of the other states' teams that were in Concord had also been playing together for some amount of time, I would expect them to play more like a team than ones that have had exactly ZERO practices together(not counting tryouts). Again, I don't know how long the teams from the other states have been together, but this weekend was the first time all of the SC boys have been together this year.

#61116 01/09/06 12:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LeGrazie,

Personally, I think it depends on the child and the level they can and/or want to play at. I feel that introducing the player to different coaching techniques and different players can only benefit them.
Yes, it has been a positive experience for my son. He is proud to have been selected to continue further with the program.

Since it does not conflict with regular club play, it is a great way to spend soccer time.

#61117 01/09/06 12:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Belligerent,

Being a parent from one of the SC teams, I realize that there have been absolutely zero practices.

I spoke to several parents from the other states that we played, and they also have not had any practices. Sounds like we all started on equal grounds.

#61118 01/09/06 12:42 AM
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Congrats to all SC ODP players for a successful weekend. My hats off to ODP Administrator Mary Bynum and Coach Van Taylor for putting this together! GO SC!!!

#61119 01/09/06 02:01 AM
P
kick off
kick off
P
I would like to thank the SC ODP staff and volunteer chaperones for a well run weekend.

I know that last year despite the rosters being fluid at times... the '92 teams showed well at Region Camp. I look forward to watching this years team "gel"

My son really enjoys the ODP experience. He had a great time and great training at the Lundy camp last summer and had a great time and showed well at Region Camp. I think that ODP is a great way for him to learn some very important life skills (time managment, "stuff" management- as in Where's my stuff?) as well as training and having fun. One of the things I really respect about ODP is that the boys are held accountable for their own actions- if the rules aren't followed you go home.

#61120 01/09/06 12:37 PM
goal
goal
Soccaho,

Another thought...from what I (and some players and other parents) could tell, the two SC '92 teams were split up fairly evenly, as opposed to an "A" team and a "B" team. This was also done last year during the Atlanta tournament the SC teams attended. If the other states in Concord had their teams split up differently (true A and B teams), that would certainly make a difference. Again...just a thought...

#61121 01/09/06 01:30 PM
S
coach
coach
S
Belligerant: On the girls side, I've seen the "evenly divided versus A/B" thing happen a few times. In past years at least, I've also seen GA come in having practiced (not sure about other states -- but my guess is that they had not practiced).

Here's probably one of the biggest factors:

-

Not only does SC have a relatively small population compared to these other states, but it has an even smaller population of soccer players than you would expect even given the smaller population of the state, i.e., the deviation shows that our penetration of soccer into the state is abysmal.

#61122 01/09/06 01:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Belligerent,

What would the benefits be to making an A and a B team as opposed to two teams divided evenly? I was under the impression that this tournament was to evaluate the players, not dominate the tournament.

#61123 01/09/06 03:14 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Chico... your chart... % pop of what? I do not get the same numbers with the assumptions I made based on your chart...

Tot pop 30,384,161 therefore Ga's pop would 27% of this number....

#61124 01/09/06 04:45 PM
goal
goal
Soccaho, there are pros and cons to both types of roster set-ups, but I personally don't feel strongly enough about either one to go into detail (maybe someone else can comment on that). I was merely pointing out that it was a POSSIBLE reason why the ‘92 SC team(s) may not have looked as well-tuned as other teams - just a possiblity - I don't know what the other states did with their teams.

In my Atlanta example, from what I understood at the time (someone please correct me if I am wrong) the ‘92 SC teams had been split fairly evenly, while at least one of the older SC groups (maybe ‘90s?) had been split into an actual A team and a B team. I believe that the older group’s A team won the championship in their age group, while both ‘92 teams only did so-so (at least, they didn't win the championship).

Again, all I was suggesting is that some of the teams you witnessed playing might have appeared better or worse, depending on how they had been split up – and/or how their opponents had been split up.

Chico, you are absolutely correct. I think it may have even been you who pointed out not too long ago the population of Atlanta versus the entire state of SC. Theoretically, Atlanta by itself, should be able to produce teams as good or better than our ODP teams!

#61125 01/10/06 05:13 AM
R
goal kick
goal kick
R
The 90's had people moving around a little the whole weekend, but they never made what I would call an A team. It looked to me as though both teams had a number of the players I remember from the state team last year. The 90's did very well this weekend. As a group, they went 4-1-1 with a 1-0 win over a nc team. I thought they looked ok for not having practiced together at all.

#61126 01/10/06 05:43 AM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
From what I've gathered:

Curious on scores for SC teams: (Please fill in the blanks)
89’s: v AL 2-0, v VA (???), v NC (???)
90’s SC1: v TN2 1-2, v AL (???), v NC2 (???)
90’s SC2: v AL 0-0, v WVA (???), v TN2 (???)
91's: v WV 5-0, v AL 5-0, v NC2 0-2
92’s SC1: v VA2 (???), v NC2 (???), v AL2 (???)
92’s SC2: v AL1 (???), v VA1 (???), v TN (???)
93's: v WV 1-0, NC4 1-2, v AL2 (???)

#61127 01/10/06 05:53 AM
S
coach
coach
S
futbol(soccer): Thanks...corrected; sorry, my mistake (reordering the table cut out AL's population) -- pretty much the same conclusion.

#61128 01/09/06 06:32 PM
R
goal kick
goal kick
R
90's SC1: W1-0 TN, W5-0 AL, W1-0 NC, Record 3-0
90's SC2: L1-2 AL, T0-0 WVA, W3-1 TN, Record 1-1-1

The coach of the 90's moved 2-3 players around every game. For example Enzo played on the team that played the SC1 schedule the first 2 games but not the third. I think the coach did a good job of moving the players around and getting everyone a look during the games.

#61129 01/09/06 06:48 PM
W
goal
goal
W
92’s SC2: v AL1 (2-1 W), v VA1 (0-3 L), v TN (3-3T)

#61130 01/09/06 06:51 PM
S
goal
goal
S
SC2 won their first game Saturday 2-1 in miserable conditions. They lost 3-0 to VA.1 in an uninspired game. Finally they tied TN 3-3 when TN blocked our goal kick and scored in the final seconds. Literally the last 10 seconds of the game. The soccer by the SC2 92's was not very pretty all weekend but the weekend was for evaluation not competition. I am just not sure how much true evaluation could be garnered in Saturday's conditions?

#61131 01/09/06 06:53 PM
S
goal
goal
S
I defer to Mr. Eudy on the actual score of the Al contest!

#61132 01/09/06 07:22 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
from my previous post 89's beat Va 2-1 and I believe lost to NC but do not know the score. Other scores told me have been shown in other posts.

#61133 01/09/06 07:31 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
So best I can tell so far from the reports

Sc went 10-5-2 over the weekebnd with 1 game missing from the 93s and 2 ganmes from one of the 92s. Even if they are all loses 10-8-2 is still not bad.

W - L - T
2 - 1 - 0 89s
4 - 1 - 1 90s
2 - 1 - 0 91s
1 - 2 - 1 92s (2 games missing)
1 - 1 - 93s (1 game misisng)

#61134 01/09/06 07:38 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
sorry 10-6-2...

#61135 01/09/06 07:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
93's beat AL2 3-0

#61136 01/09/06 08:20 PM
S
coach
coach
S
How many teams did SC bring in each age group -- anyone know?

It looks like the ODP people did a great job of evening out everything in terms of numbers of teams from different states (e.g., as many as 4 VA teams.)

#61137 01/09/06 09:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chico,

At least 7.

89-1
90-2
91-1
92-2
93-1

#61138 01/09/06 09:04 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
per SCYSA web Site

1 - 89
2 - 90
1 - 91
2 - 92
1 - 93

#61139 01/10/06 02:15 AM
P
kick off
kick off
P
92s SC1
NC2 2 SC1 1
Va2 3 SC1 1
SC1 3 ALA2 1

#61140 01/10/06 05:21 AM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Curious on scores for SC teams:
(2-1-0) 89’s: v AL 2-0, v VA 2-1, v NC 0-6
(3-0-0) 90’s SC1: v TN2 1-0, v AL 5-0, v NC2 1-0
(1-1-1) 90’s SC2: v AL 1-2, v WVA 0-0, v TN2 3-1
(2-1-0) 91's: v WV 5-0, v AL 5-0, v NC2 0-2
(1-2-0) 92’s SC1: v VA2 1-3, v NC2 1-2, v AL2 3-1
(1-1-1) 92’s SC2: v AL1 2-1, v VA1 0-3, v TN 3-3
(2-1-0) 93's: v WV 1-0, v NC4 1-2, v AL2 3-0

(12-7-2)

#61141 01/10/06 01:23 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Pretty good record I would say...

I believe the 90s are about what I expected, I was surprised on the 89s (they were better than I thought they would be) and was dissapointed on the 92s.

#61142 01/10/06 02:17 PM
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
how do they get the names 89s and 90s. idk but im think that they might have to be the birth year of the players?

#61143 01/10/06 02:23 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
ODP is Birth Year, not August to July

#61144 01/10/06 02:28 PM
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
ok thats what i thought. i dont see anything on 88s so im guessing it would be to late for me to try and get involved in odp.

#61145 01/10/06 02:55 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
89 is the oldest year for ODP, next year the oldest group will be 90s.

#61146 01/10/06 03:07 PM
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
damn then how do i plan on playing at a higher level then club other than college, which is not possible because im only a junior

#61147 01/11/06 05:47 AM
S
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
S
Should have thought of that years ago.

#61148 01/10/06 06:14 PM
G
throw in
throw in
G
fyi on 93 odp games. the 1-2 loss to NC4 was based on SC93 playing second game and NC4 playing first game of day.

#61149 01/10/06 07:24 PM
G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Swansea...with all due respect...if you are a Junior in HS and you are just hearing about the ODP program then I believe that club soccer will provide the appropriate level of play for you...and then some.

#61150 01/11/06 01:40 PM
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
all i have to say is su. you dont know me or my style of play.

[ January 11, 2006, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Kyle Heise ]

#61151 01/12/06 04:11 AM
World Cup
World Cup
The SCHSSCA Winter Clinic would like to invite all of the 1992 and 1993 boys ODP players to The Plex Indoor Sports facility in Northeast Columbia on Saturday, January 14 at 10:00 a.m. to participate in clinic demonstrations with College of Charleston head coach Ralph Lundy and his assistants.

Players need to be bring proper soccer attire (shinguards, boots, etc.) and be at The Plex at 10:00 a.m.

The sessions will be from 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m and from 1:00-2:15 p.m.

Players will be fed by the SCHSSCA at Chick-Fil-A for lunch as well!

To confirm your attendance, please contact Kevin Heise kevin@scsoccer.com.

#61152 01/16/06 08:51 PM
S
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
S
What is taking so long for the teams to be announced?

#61153 01/16/06 10:23 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I have been told that the 90s cut has been made and there will be another around April 1st.
'90 players should check their email.

#61154 01/17/06 12:30 AM
J
throw in
throw in
J
It seems the '91 e-mail letters are out this evening.

#61155 01/17/06 04:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The '93 list of selected players went out today.

#61156 01/18/06 05:07 AM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
From what I understand they are all out

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard