#61113 01/08/06 01:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LeGrazie,

You can check out scysa.org for some insight on ODP.

Ultimately, it is a feeder program for the national team. If you can afford it and your child is serious about soccer, what is wrong with exposing the player to more coaches and players around the country?

#61114 01/08/06 04:46 PM
goal kick
goal kick
I think I understand the concept of ODP. What I meant to ask is whether you considered it to be a positive experience for your son or daughter. Was it worth the money, lost opportunity to do other things etc. Did they improve their play in the program? are there better ways to spend your soccer time?

#61115 01/08/06 09:03 PM
goal
goal
Soccaho,

I know that the Georgia teams were not in Concord, but I will use them as an example - I believe their teams have been playing together for a couple months now. If any of the other states' teams that were in Concord had also been playing together for some amount of time, I would expect them to play more like a team than ones that have had exactly ZERO practices together(not counting tryouts). Again, I don't know how long the teams from the other states have been together, but this weekend was the first time all of the SC boys have been together this year.

#61116 01/09/06 12:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LeGrazie,

Personally, I think it depends on the child and the level they can and/or want to play at. I feel that introducing the player to different coaching techniques and different players can only benefit them.
Yes, it has been a positive experience for my son. He is proud to have been selected to continue further with the program.

Since it does not conflict with regular club play, it is a great way to spend soccer time.

#61117 01/09/06 12:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Belligerent,

Being a parent from one of the SC teams, I realize that there have been absolutely zero practices.

I spoke to several parents from the other states that we played, and they also have not had any practices. Sounds like we all started on equal grounds.

#61118 01/09/06 12:42 AM
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Congrats to all SC ODP players for a successful weekend. My hats off to ODP Administrator Mary Bynum and Coach Van Taylor for putting this together! GO SC!!!

#61119 01/09/06 02:01 AM
P
kick off
kick off
P
I would like to thank the SC ODP staff and volunteer chaperones for a well run weekend.

I know that last year despite the rosters being fluid at times... the '92 teams showed well at Region Camp. I look forward to watching this years team "gel"

My son really enjoys the ODP experience. He had a great time and great training at the Lundy camp last summer and had a great time and showed well at Region Camp. I think that ODP is a great way for him to learn some very important life skills (time managment, "stuff" management- as in Where's my stuff?) as well as training and having fun. One of the things I really respect about ODP is that the boys are held accountable for their own actions- if the rules aren't followed you go home.

#61120 01/09/06 12:37 PM
goal
goal
Soccaho,

Another thought...from what I (and some players and other parents) could tell, the two SC '92 teams were split up fairly evenly, as opposed to an "A" team and a "B" team. This was also done last year during the Atlanta tournament the SC teams attended. If the other states in Concord had their teams split up differently (true A and B teams), that would certainly make a difference. Again...just a thought...

#61121 01/09/06 01:30 PM
S
coach
coach
S
Belligerant: On the girls side, I've seen the "evenly divided versus A/B" thing happen a few times. In past years at least, I've also seen GA come in having practiced (not sure about other states -- but my guess is that they had not practiced).

Here's probably one of the biggest factors:

-

Not only does SC have a relatively small population compared to these other states, but it has an even smaller population of soccer players than you would expect even given the smaller population of the state, i.e., the deviation shows that our penetration of soccer into the state is abysmal.

#61122 01/09/06 01:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Belligerent,

What would the benefits be to making an A and a B team as opposed to two teams divided evenly? I was under the impression that this tournament was to evaluate the players, not dominate the tournament.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard