Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
bench
bench
D
Chico, thanks for your work with the stats, here are some more:

6 of the girls going onto College D1 came from our Classic program at CUSC and the rest from Challenge.

Andrew Grist
Director of Coaching
Charleston United Soccer Club
DOC@Charlestonunitedsoccer.com
www.Charlestonunitedsoccer.com
(843)452-8338

S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
I'm only counting 7 girls currently on roster at D1 SC schools from CUSC and I know that more than one came from the Fusion -- am I missing some players?

C
goal
goal
C
What about playera that play for a club all the way up to U-17 or U-18? They switch clubs get recruited. Who gets the credit for the player development? Does CRSA get any credit? They probably bring in more players that would have never even played soccer if not for CRSA. What about the REC programs through out the state? I know my daughter's love for the game started there with a parent coach in the 1st grade.

As much as I like to be better than the next guy. I do not think it does players or clubs justice by grouping players solely by one club or the last club they played. I think the focus needs to be on SC players as a whole and getting all the clubs to work together for the betterment of the player. The more competitive the clubs as a whole become in SC the better the training for the players and the better exposure.

One thing that would be more feasible would be for the SC clubs to get together and develope a gold level tournament. Maybe something that rotates between the member clubs. Then the member clubs can use their influence to bring in the local college coaches to give some exposure to the local talent.

C
goal
goal
C
BTW. What are the D1 schools you used?

world cup
world cup
Here are the schools:

Preseason Division 1

1. Clemson - 2004 SC POY Julie Bolt (West Ashley) graduates to the ACC.

2. Furman - Andre'a Morrison should lead the Lady paladins back to the NCAA tournament.

3. USC - Defeated #9 Duke, 2-0, in a scrimmage last Saturday.

4. C of C - Lou Hudson moves east from Clemson, Danielle Jordan moves up from West Ashley.

5. Coastal Carolina - Jill Karelitz (Dutch Fork) was Lady Chants 3rd leading scorer in '04.

6. Wofford - Freshman Mary Rea (Charlotte Soccer Club) actually graduated from Fort Mill.

7. Winthrop - Northwestern's Carolyn Quarles is the heart of the Lady Eagles defense.

8. Francis Marion - The Patriots move up from D2's Peach Belt to a D1 Independent.

9. Charleston Southern - Kelly Pesterfield (Citadel transfer) adds offensive punch.

10. The Citadel - New head coach Chris Lenzo will lead the Bulldogs.

11. South Carolina State - West Ashley's Alechia Brothers will compete for the keeper job.

S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
Hurst66: Thanks. Chapindad: The original data I used, including the SC D1 schools as recognized by the NCAA, may be found here.

S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
>> [Chapindad] What about playera that play for a club all the way up to U-17 or U-18? They switch clubs get recruited. Who gets the credit for the player development? Does CRSA get any credit? They probably bring in more players that would have never even played soccer if not for CRSA. What about the REC programs through out the state? I know my daughter's love for the game started there with a parent coach in the 1st grade.<<

If the midstate had a bunch of clubs that only had challenge/premier teams up to U16 and when a player turned 16 she was "Logan's Run'ed" to upstate or lower state clubs then the results might make sense.

This isn't an evaluation of recreation or classic-specific developmental clubs (which is why recreation and classic teams weren't counted). This is an evaluation of clubs with challenge and premier teams. Now...maybe all of the "elite" midstate clubs are telling ambitious women players that if they want to get signed by an SC D1 school then they need to leave to go to an upper or lower state club. But the reason I don't think so is I keep hearing about terms such as "premier" and "elite" in the self-advertising of many of these clubs.

>> [Chapindad] As much as I like to be better than the next guy. I do not think it does players or clubs justice by grouping players solely by one club or the last club they played. I think the focus needs to be on SC players as a whole and getting all the clubs to work together for the betterment of the player. The more competitive the clubs as a whole become in SC the better the training for the players and the better exposure.<<

I can't tell if you're intentionally or unintentionally blurring the situation here...do you recognize that self-proclaimed "elite" midstate clubs have a tremendous problem on the women's side in terms of not just winning but in terms of D1 recruitment throughout the state of SC and you're asking for help? If so, the first step is to "stop digging."

In one of my past lives, I had to go into sick organizations and make them healthy quickly. What I found was that people in these organizations really didn't want to change; they wanted to keep doing what they were doing before that got them into trouble but they wanted someone to bail them out so that they could keep doing it.

It appears to me that the midstate clubs, at least the ones with aspirations of being premier or elite on the women's side, need to change what they've been doing to get to the state that they are in. I asked you this question on another thread...let me try again...do you agree that there's a problem with the women's side of the midstate clubs or is it still someone else's fault?

My opinion: if you're in a hole, and you want to get out, the first step is to stop digging and do something else. But of course, first you have to recognize that digging is what got you into your situation.

>> [Chapindad] One thing that would be more feasible would be for the SC clubs to get together and develope a gold level tournament. Maybe something that rotates between the member clubs. Then the member clubs can use their influence to bring in the local college coaches to give some exposure to the local talent.<<

The root cause of the issue here appears to be that I believe that there's a problem in the midstate involving the quality of service that the "elite" clubs provide -- and you still seem to think that the problem is one of "exposure."

D
bench
bench
D
Chico, my bad....I was thinking that some other schools were also D1.

These were our graduates last year:
Julie Bolt - Clemson
Lia Schendal - Clemson
Chelsea Terry - Coastal Carolina
Elyse Clark - Newberry
Lacey Moskos - Newberry
Alexis Brothers - Limestone
Amanda Lear - Limestone
Whitney Frail - Erskine
Mallory Phillips - Savannah College of Art and Design
Carrie Robinson - Spartanburg Methodist College
Ashley Ingels - Spartanburg Methodist College
Frankie Battye - Presbyterian College
Danielle Jordan - College of Charleston
Alechia Brothers - SC State
Jessie Kandl - Wofford

brace
brace
I'm actually curious to know how many people what what "Logans Run" means. The younger pups might not know what these means.

Very humorous.

S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
First, to give Chapindad a lot of credit, he's the only person on the board of an "elite" midstate club that I know of that's willing to publicly come forward and debate these issues. There are at least one or two others that I know of that very occasionally participate, but they do their best to keep their identities hidden.

Second, I would never have thought to go down this line of reasoning/research if Chapindad hadn't raised the USC Women's recruiting issue when he did.

Third, I can prove that Chico is real beyond the picture in the profile -- his professional bona fides may be found at

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=c%27s+chico+mic&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland=

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard