Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Does anyone have any current information on the proposed merger of Columbia clubs? Can they actually pull this off? Will it help? Are the parents that may have to drive their kids to the other side of town for training on board?

G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
I understand that NECSA did try to merge with the YMCA league early last year, but NECSA wanted full control and the Y told them to get lost. Do you think NECSA wants full control of this "merger"?

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
My understanding, is it will happen. They practices will be one week here and one week there.

Will it make a difference - Can't tell

What about the CESA Cola branch?

things have been VEWY, VEWY QUIET

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
no DOC, no state championships, no full time guys, etc. Thats progress?

one state championship (over a CSC team), quality leadership at the top, thats downhill?

Not here to support one club over the other. I know people on both sides. I personally think a merger would be a great thing and should have happened a while ago.

So - NECSA has nothing to offer your club?

coach
coach
It should happen. It needs to happen. They said it would happen...........
And of course it probably is happening. They did say it would not go live until next fall.
CESA said they would go live this spring? Anyone see or hear any activity from CESA?

S
goal
goal
S
I would have no problem directing my child to play with CESA. For what has NECSA given my child? The coach has given a great deal but I do not see anything from NECSA which puts it above any other clubs. Although, my child appears to do a fair amount of advertising for NECSA and assorted apparel. Maybe I have missed the advantages for playing NECSA vs. other clubs or just don't understand the benfits of NECSA. Please someone show me the light!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Loc, CSC's U14 boys are defending state champs and playing Premier this spring.

S
coach
coach
S
Several observations with respect to questions/issues raised in various preceeding posts:
  • I think that both CSC and NECSA had one state championship team in 2005: CSC's U13B team and NECSA's U18B team.
  • It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for CSC to hire a DOC while it was engaged in merger discussions.
  • I don't believe that either CSC or NECSA has at this time full-time administrators or DOC's.
  • The bylaws of a club typically define whether the membership of a club gets to vote on a merger. If the bylaws do not mandate it, then it's up to the boards of the respective clubs as to whether they want to offer their membership a chance to vote. I don't know whether CSC's or NECSA's bylaws mandate this or whether the boards want to offer a chance to vote.
  • I've heard that CESA has a boys team in which most/all of the players are from Columbia this spring; I've been told that once again there will be Columbia training offered in the spring but don't know any more details of when it will start.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think the point loc was making is that CSC won nothing in the fall and NECSA won one.We'll see how it plays out in the spring.

S
coach
coach
S
>> [Nino Brown] I think the point loc was making is that CSC won nothing in the fall and NECSA won one.We'll see how it plays out in the spring.<<

If this is what "Loc Dog" meant, then he deserves at least a message board yellow card for the misuse of statistics in an argument. [Smile]

• In 2005, NECSA had 1 champion, CSC had 1.
  • In 2005, NECSA had 1 finalist, CSC had 5.
  • In 2005/spring, NECSA had 0 champions (or finalists), CSC had 1 champion (2 finalists).
  • In 2005/fall, NECSA had 1 champion (1 finalist), CSC had 0 champions (3 finalists).
  • In 2006, NECSA will have 0 teams qualifying for premier, CSC will potentially have 3.(a)
Even this is a relatively poor context because we're only using a single year; however, at least it gives all of the context of that year and the consequences of that year on 2006 league play.

(a) Of course, if a merger goes through there will be some NECSA players on the CSC teams elibible to play premier; elibility is based on assuming that the teams are combined in such a fashion as to maintain the proper count of CSC players so that premier eligibility is maintained.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Irmo

I had forgotten about the 14s. That leo kid is a very quality player [Wink] .

Chico

I am not going to get into any arguments over stats. You have proven yourself worthy. However, my argument was against progression. the poster, -, made it sound like CSC was heads above NECSA.

The DOC was an issue before merger talks. why did he leave? board problems? not really sure, but it makes you wonder. While on the other side of the river, Tripp has remained there forever and has done a damn good job.

CSC is not as good as everyone claims, and NECSA definitely is not as bad as some are making them out to be, that was my point!

My whole post was tyring to get to the reasoning of - (perhaps the greatest name on the message board).

S
coach
coach
S
Loc Dog: I do understand the larger point you're making, and I agree with you, and I think it's foolish for "-" or anyone else to try to base something as long-term as a merger on state challenge cup results for a year or whatever. As I understand it, for example, NECSA has 1000+ more players than CSC. I'm sure that there are many advantages on both sides.

I personally believe that what the Columbia area needs the most right now is change -- something, almost anything, different than what's been going on in the last few years. So I'm a proponent of this merger -- because if nothing else at least it's a change.

goal kick
goal kick
quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
Loc Dog: I do understand the larger point you're making, and I agree with you, and I think it's foolish for "-" or anyone else to try to base something as long-term as a merger on state challenge cup results for a year or whatever. As I understand it, for example, NECSA has 1000+ more players than CSC. I'm sure that there are many advantages on both sides.

I personally believe that what the Columbia area needs the most right now is change -- something, almost anything, different than what's been going on in the last few years. So I'm a proponent of this merger -- because if nothing else at least it's a change.

goal kick
goal kick
Allright, let me try this again. How will the merger affect the u9-u12 players? Will they benefit, or be affected at all? After all, these are the elite teams of the future. Are they afected

goal kick
goal kick
Allright, let me try this again. How will the merger affect the u9-u12 players? Will they benefit, or be affected at all? After all, these are the elite teams of the future. Are they afected

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
LeGrazie,

I don't know much about the U-9 through U-12 programs at either club. I posted this about the U-13 and U-14 groups back in November when the merger was announced:

quote:
Looking at strictly the younger age groups, who stand to be the most affected by this merger, it looks like there is room for quite a bit of improvement at both clubs.

In the U-13 boys, CSC went 0-8 in the classic division and 0-10 in the challenge division. NECSA doesn't have a classic team, but the challenge team went 4-5-1.

In the U-14 boys, CSC went 1-6-2 in classic, but did much better in challenge with a 9-1-2 record. NECSA only played classic at this age group, with an 8-1-1 record.

On the girls side, neither club had a U-13 classic team. The U-13G challenge team from CSC did well (5-2), and NECSA at 2-5, not so well.

At U-14G, CSC classic went 1-8. CSC challenge went 5-3-2, and NECSA challenge went 7-1-2.

It would appear to me, a neutral observer, that a merger of these two clubs could result in improvement at either the classic or the challenge level, but it still remains to be seen if they can be competitive at all levels. It does not appear that the numbers are there for top teams from the existing CSC and NECSA clubs at U-13 and U-14. The fact that these clubs do not have teams at both levels in the younger age groups indicates that the merger will need some additional help from somewhere.

Just some random thoughts supported by stats that may not mean much...

These can indeed be the elite teams of the future, but they need to do something to turn around some of the records.

Note: Neither CSC nor NECSA had U-11 or U-12 teams in the Palmetto League. I find that very interesting, especially since the Palmetto League administrator is very active in CSC.

Goal
Goal
But the Palmetto League is somewhat of a farce! A team from NECSA can just as easily find like competition in the Sandlapper League such as CSC, Aiken, Discoveries, the Augusta clubs, Lexington, CRSA, and such. No sense going to Myrtle Beach, Charleston and Greenville for what you can get relatively locally.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Necsa/CSC will merge and become Columbia United.

goal kick
goal kick
quote:
Originally posted by 202677:
But the Palmetto League is somewhat of a farce! A team from NECSA can just as easily find like competition in the Sandlapper League such as CSC, Aiken, Discoveries, the Augusta clubs, Lexington, CRSA, and such. No sense going to Myrtle Beach, Charleston and Greenville for what you can get relatively locally.

I don't know if the Palmetto League is a farce. However, I will vouch for the Sandlapper league. It is an excellent venue for young players in the Agusta - Columbia - Rock Hill corridor. It gives them good competition with reasonable travel times.

C
goal
goal
C
Columbia United FC to be exact....

Goal
Goal
Well there has already been a Midlands United in Columbia. What an original name for a conglomerate club!

hat-trick
hat-trick
I could have sworn I read somewhere that the merger would begin with the spring 06 season, but this can't be so can it? Will the new club have teams playing this spring or will it wait till next fall?

coach
coach
CSC/NECSA said they would begin in fall 06.
CESA said they would begin in Spring 06, but if you look at the team list in hotstats I don't see any CESA-Cola teams.

hat-trick
hat-trick
ok, I believe I must have gotten the two events confused.

coach
coach
from the CSC/NECSA letter to parents:
We trust that you understand that such an exploration involves due diligence and tedious planning and thus your patience and your support is greatly appreciated! To that end, please realize that the Fall 2005 youth soccer season and the Spring 2006 youth soccer season will continue as planned on an individual basis at NECSA and at CSC and if you have not already done so.

and

Here is the first sentence from Chico's prior post:
Chico - Registered Member
Member # 1734 posted November 14, 2005 04:06 PM [Preface: I received this earlier this afternoon from CESA.]
For immediate release 11/14/05

Carolina Elite Soccer Academy (CESA) announced that they will establish a program in the Columbia area beginning in the spring of 2006.

C
goal
goal
C
CSC and NECSA still have a lot of work to do in order to merge. But put all the work aside. According to SCYSA rules, no club can field teams until they file papers with SCYSA which can not be done until the Summer of each year.

goal kick
goal kick
quote:
Originally posted by 2004striker:
from the CSC/NECSA letter to parents:
We trust that you understand that such an exploration involves due diligence and tedious planning and thus your patience and your support is greatly appreciated! To that end, please realize that the Fall 2005 youth soccer season and the Spring 2006 youth soccer season will continue as planned on an individual basis at NECSA and at CSC and if you have not already done so.

There is just something tha seems wrong about combining soccer and "due diligence". Sounds like something the Glazers would have said when they bought Man. U.

Here is the first sentence from Chico's prior post:
Chico - Registered Member
Member # 1734 posted November 14, 2005 04:06 PM [Preface: I received this earlier this afternoon from CESA.]
For immediate release 11/14/05

Carolina Elite Soccer Academy (CESA) announced that they will establish a program in the Columbia area beginning in the spring of 2006.

LF Offline
corner kick
corner kick
Here is a portion of an email that was received yesterday from NECSA in regards to the merger. It has a very positive tone on the upcoming merger:
quote:
Your NECSA Board of Directors has unanimously voted in favor of this merger and is incredibly excited to share this opportunity with you.

G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
I have read a flyer from CSC and NECSA, they both indicate this merger is a done deal. The new club will be called the Columbia United FC.
The CSC board has approved this merger, however, NECSA must obtain a vote of the club parents. This vote may not go the way the NECSA Board thinks. There is a huge upwelling of parents(from both clubs) that think this may be more of a power trip for the president of one club, than something that is in the best interest of Columbia youth soccer. It seems this merger will only benefit the elite or challenge level teams. It is my understanding that rec, academy and even classic will remain "east" and "west" with only elite and challenge being "merged." In the beginning this sounded like a glorious idea. It now sounds that the CSC parents end up with top management that have basically run one club in the ground and NECSA parents end up inherating the large debt of CSC. Come try-out time do youself a favor look at Lexington, CESA, or Charlotte. It is a shame that the CSC parents had no vote in this as the NECSA parents will.From the entire look of this I think it is more of a hostile takeover of CSC than a merger.
As they say "vote the bums out".

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boy does this sound familar. Happen that way in the Upstate. No Parents had a vote, and was it the best move???????

corner kick
corner kick
greenacres,
Don't you wish you knew what you were talking about...the current membership of BOTH clubs will be voting on the merger

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
We call this BRIDGE FA in the lowerstate..Parents and players had no say in the matter..even though we make up most of the membership.Everyone wants to be or beat CESA..The only problem I see is CESA offers all levels of soccer and everyone else just wants to put challenge or elite teams together to compete with CESA.The focus is on a very small group and not the big picture for most of the players...But it's all about the win.Right?

G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
SoccerPOP9194 : When is CSC to vote on this issue? NECSA is voting 2-12-06. My understanding of CSC articles of incorporation do not require a vote. If I am wrong please tell me when the vote is.

corner kick
corner kick
Greenacres,
You are correct that the bylaws of CSC do not require a vote..However, the BOD decided to put it to vote because it was the right thing to do. If you are member in good standing with CSC you will get a letter explaining the process (I got mine today). The vote is for the same day as NECSA 2/12/06.

coach
coach

S
goal
goal
S
Anybody have any info on the meeting regarding the merger that took place last night?

goal
goal
coldhardtruth,

Comparing CESA to the Bridge FA is an apples/oranges thing. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but CESA was formed as the result of a merger - two clubs joined and became one. The Bridge is an Alliance - the Alliance members are still separate and unique.

You sound like the typical whining and complaining parent who pays your child’s fees, then thinks your job is done; offering no help, but always being the first one to jump up and state “the facts” about everything that is wrong with the organization.

Maybe you just were not aware that the clubs (SSC and JI) cannot survive without volunteers. When was the last time you helped out at a field day, ran the concession stand on a game day, or just picked up trash while your child was practicing?

Regarding parents and players having no say in the decision...this is untrue. While parents may not have had a vote, they certainly had a say. Last time I checked, the Board of Directors (at SSC) meets the first Wednesday of each and every month. I’d be willing to bet that you have never attended any of these meetings. And, again, all of the people making the decisions at the club and keeping the club running are VOLUNTEERS.

If you sincerely want to make a difference, I believe there is an opening for a position at SSC – feel free to jump in there anytime.

Either you have jumped into this discussion really, really late, or you just don’t quite understand what the Bridge is about, or both.

To everyone else on this bulletin board, I will now step down from my soap box.

To coldhardtruth, PUT UP or SHUT UP!!!

C
goal
goal
C
Thank you very much Belligerent! And AMEN!

world cup
world cup
Belligerent,

You raise a very good point about the need for parent volunteers. Volunteers make it happen, the club doesn't succeed or grow with out them.

But when does the passion for voluteerism wane or cease to exist?

When my kid paid $36 per season to play (rec), I was there.....lining fields and coaching games.

When my kid paid $125 per season to play (Travel soccer in PA), I was coaching teams and sitting on the Board.

When my kid paid $325 per season to play (classic), I was coaching and club president.
(DISCLAIMER - I was compensated for coaching)

When my kid paid $675 per season to play (challenge), I drove her to the game and cheered from the sideline.

When my kid pays $1,500 per season to play for the super club.....do you really still need me to volunteer? Isn't that kind of cash good enough?

C
goal
goal
C
Most of the money that goes into a club, goes straight to the coaches of the club and the DOC. I don't know of any board members for any clubin SC that is paid for their services.

Paying $1500 for training at a club is a whole new ball game. There are probably several full time people on the club payroll to handle most of the work for a club.

world cup
world cup
Plenty of full-time people, all but one of them coaches. There may be one paid administrator on staff.

Parents are expected to volunteer for fundraising, tournaments, etc.

C
goal
goal
C
I agree with you. If you have that many full time people then they need to do a lot of that stuff themselves. I am sure the coaches just want to be paid to coach and do nothing else. This type of attitude has killed a lot of private companies. Wearing multiple hats is the only way to keep this going into today's business environment.

corner kick
corner kick
The day I have to pay $1500 per season in fees is the day my kids stop playing. I'm sure I pay a lot more than that when you look at all the travel involved . But just in fees???? thats crazy!
One of the benefits of a "super club" is the "power in numbers" making it easier to find corporate and government support. which should help to decrease the fees, in theory.
But then when you look at what some of the DOCs at these "super clubs" are getting paid, it no wonder they need fees that high!

By the way if you feel like digging you can find out what your DOC or any other paid person at your club is making. They are nonprofit organizations and are required to disclose it if you know where to look.

world cup
world cup
I'm not looking to bust anybody's chops and the guys that are in charge of successful programs did a great job working their way up. If the club was not successful, it wouldn't be able to charge this kind of money.

It's free market economy, more power to them (as long as other options exist).

My point is.....when you charge this kind of money, because you have a superior product, how much pressure can you exert on the parents to help out? It's a lot easier to find volunteers when, for lack of a better term, you're looking at a "grass roots" effort.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
By the way if you feel like digging you can find out what your DOC or any other paid person at your club is making. They are nonprofit organizations and are required to disclose it if you know where to look.

Please tell me where to look. I'd sure like to know. I bet a lot of people would like to know. Might just raise an eyebrowl or two.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
WOW! My first post and I struck a nerve...
Belligerent,
I really do not see where volunteering had anything to do with this topic.I do feel the need to reply since my character is in question..My children have been at SSC for six years and I did not push them out the car for practice and take off.I have been there for field day.I have opened and closed the club on gameday.I helped out at the labor day tournaments and worked in the concession stand.I dumped garbage cans during the week for two seasons with Bill.
And I still check by and close the gate and cut off the lights that are left on at 10pm so I think I qualify as volunteer.I now drive around 160 miles a week for my daughter to play soccer so volunteering is tougher.
I have been to board meetings with other parents to discuss the girls program with no resolution.
The girls program could not afford to give up players to the Bridge.The numbers were not there.
Besides,if I am going to practice in Mt Pleasant on a Bridge team.I might as well play for Mt Pleasant.You are right...the decisions being made at the club are volunteers.Parents that are influenced by a paid employee with their own agenda to serve.Not all...but enough to swing the vote.Tell me how SSC has prospered from this Bridge program?
I can see the affects it has had on the girls program.How about Classic play?The Bridge pulled up playmakers on the classic teams so they can ride the pine on a challenge team.Why two teams in one age group?Take the best eighteen!!
Why does SSC have to wait till after the Bridge tryouts?Players are already put on teams and committed to clubs by the time SSC has their tryouts.The only players SSC is going to get is players that only intend on playing there.Why?
Because this is a condition for being in the alliance.As far as an alliance..I could count the JI players on one hand.This program was set up because SSC players were not going to Mt Pleasant and Mt Pleasant players were not going to SSC.
But,here is a new club with different colors and we practice in Summerville and Mt Pleasant.
This was done to compete with Cesa .My hats off to Cesa for bringing everyone into the fold..not just challenge players.
What does Bridge have to do with Volunteers? There are kids from Georgia and N Carolina out there.How much time are they putting in.My hats off to all the volunteers at SSC.God bless them and the kids could not play without them.
And Belligerent.I am shutting up now and putting up at a club that supports all the players.
No need to reply..we are both soccer parents who sees things differently.
And let's get back to the CSC/Nesca merger

corner kick
corner kick
Sportfreak, I'll tell you to if you really feel like doing the leg work to start here:

Secretary of State
PO Box 11350
Columbia, SC 29211

Information: (803) 734-1790
Fax: (803) 734-1604
Web Site:www.scsos.com

However, I would caution you at the same time. While all of the financial information for NPO's is a matter of public record would you want your salary put out there for your friends and peers to see?

Like Hurst66 said "It's free market economy, more power to them (as long as other options exist)."

I have a feeling I'm going to regret this...should have kept my mouth shut!

C
goal
goal
C
Ignorance is bliss sometimes, especially when it comes to salaries.

I would suggest you go to a board meeting and get the numbers so that you can also have the proper context placed with the numbers.

G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Check out to new news about the CESA/CRSA parternership!! It is said that Lexington is also on board. This would be a club with the potential to not only dominate the Cola. area, but also compete statewide. This makes the CSC/NECSA merger seem much less actractive to a Columbia area soccer parent. Hopefully tryouts won't be at the same time. It would be a shame to not make this super-power club and not be able to try out for the new CUFC.(no not Charlotte United FC or Charleston United FC)

coach
coach
green,
Where does it say that Lex. is on board?
CSC/NECSA should have just gone with CFC (Columbia Futbol Club). Too many united clubs out there.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
I agree that the initials CUFC have been used way too much lately - it's too confusing. Is it too late for the CSC/NECSA folks to change it?

hat-trick
hat-trick
Isn't the Spartanburg club named Carolina Futbol Club? Which would cause a conflict of initials had the Columbia club gone with Columbia Futbol Club

coach
coach
You are right again. Then maybe...........
CAFC- Capital Area Futbol Club (sorta like CASL).

G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Is it true that 4 CSC coaches have quit in the middle of all this merger? Does that mean that most of the coaches for the merged club will be NECSA coaches. The NECSA president will be president, the NECSA DOC will be DOC, and most coaches from NECSA. Hmmm.... this still sounds more like a NECSA takeover than a "merger".

corner kick
corner kick
I don't konw about the coaches...I haven't heard of any leaving due to the merger, I could be wrong. Who do you know of that left b/c of the merger? CSC president didn't want to be the president of the "new club". I didn't know Phil was the DOC for NECSA.

C
goal
goal
C
Greenacres,

You crack me up. [Smile] You have an axe to grind and I am happy for you. I know I responded to you through PM correcting a lot of your mistakes but yet you keep going.

See my response on the other thread about the coaches. Of course you probably did see it or else you wouldn't have known about the coaches. Because those 4 coaches leaving is very old news and not somehting you just now heard through the grapevine.....

G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
I just hope all of the parents in both clubs at every level of play show up and vote this Sunday. I don't know if this has been discussed much with the Rec. parents.

C
goal
goal
C
Unfortantly in the current club Rec parents are not considered members, but in the new club they have been added as members.

G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Chapindad: Who are considered members and therefore will be able to vote?

W
WDC Offline
bench
bench
W
Each family of a duly registered player of the club in good standing shall be entitled to one vote.

G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Everyone eligible needs to go vote this weekend.

world cup
world cup
They are talking big time merger on the North Carolina boards as well. The two Charlotte heavyweights are about to go to the altar.

posted on 2/10/06 at 01:02 PM

CSC - CUFC - too much smoke, gotta be on fire - team speculation??

OK........I am hearing so many rumors that this is a done deal. Rumors from parents of both clubs, coaches from CSC, and even coaches from outside those clubs. I believe an announcement is imminent.

Assuming they merge before tryouts, how do you think they'll configure the teams in the Fall? coaches?

Anyone familiar with this large a merger? How did CESA do it? USA/MSC? Do they leave older teams alone and merge the younger kids?

My older daughter will care, my young son couldn't care less.......

G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
It looks like when all the merger mania is through we will all have to play a regional schedule. More traveling....yikes.

G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Hurst666...How did CESA do it...

If you are just refering to tryouts and team formation then this is how it happened from a parents perspective...

They held tryouts...just with more kids. Because of the number of kids they were able to form multiple teams in some age groups...Premier/Challenge/Classic (and in some age groups multiple Classic teams)

Some kids that didn't get placed where they wanted to be either took it as a challenge and worked hard to move up or they left the club for other options.

Not sure if this answers your question.

G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
What time do both clubs vote today?

G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Does anyone know the outcome of the "BIG" votes today in Columbia?

C
goal
goal
C
To All CSC and NECSA Families:

The Board of Directors of our respective clubs are pleased to announce the results of today's vote on merger. At NECSA, the merger was approved by 86% of the members who voted. At CSC, the merger was approved by 91% of the members who voted. All that was required to approve the merger was 67%. As such, our two clubs have affirmatively voted in favor of merger. To all who took the time to come out an vote, thank you.

More details to come in week's ahead! Best of luck to all NECSA and CSC teams this Spring. Go forth and continue to respresent our respective clubs with enthusiasm, good sportsmanship and pride!

Yours very truly,

Lynn Holmes and Ron Tryon
Presidents
CSC and NECSA, respectively

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what was the turn-out as far as # of members for the Vote??

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard