Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Brace
Brace
4kicks, if you have a game plan love to hear it! A few parents have been trying and recently failed in their effort. We need the stars to line up and the force be with us. It is very frustrating here in York Cty. As Hurst stated, without the hour plus drive to Col or 1 1/2 to CESA territory, we have very limited choices. Having sons, even more difficult with HS season different in NC and SC. Girls, little better option.

world cup
world cup
just4kicks,

Do you own a gun? In the short term, that may be the only way we get to the "York County United Futbol Club".

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Choices mean different things to different people.

York County currently does a pretty good job of offering choice for classic level soccer and lower level challenge. There are also a plethora of rec options for U6 to U10....

What York COunty lacks is the following:

1. Competitive rec from U8-U11 for the very good players for whom SCYSA doesn't offer a very good classic option. This development could perhaps limit the number of young kids who flee to the Charlotte challenge league.

2. Comprehensive rec for players U12-U16. Having been to Raleigh recently I watched their very large and organized rec program playing games with older kids and we have nothing like that at all.

3. Upper level challenge/R3P caliber teams. We simply don't have the population and with the dilution of talent among DSC, TC, Charlotte and some to CESA and Columbia......we rarely can get a team together that can legitmately start the season with the hope of winning State Cup. Not meaning to offend anyone....but there are 2 teams that I'm aware.....DSC '90 boys and TC '92 boys.

A single York County Club will help strengthen the classic-challenge programs and could well lead to a regional level team. But to me this is only a minor step in the direction of optimizing soccer in this area. Until the rec programs that
feed into the single York County Club are aligned you will only be skimming the surface.

CESA has what, 3000 kids? CASL has 20,000 or soemthing like that? The vast majorioty are NOT playing statewide soccer.

A single York County CLub should build from the ground floor up and the primary focus should not be on competing with regional level teams. Focus on your core and grow your CLub. In a few years...your Premier level players will be ready.

Without that structure in place.....even a unified York County Club is at best....3rd or 4th best in the State.

And without that structure.......the recent CESA announcement offers a legit option for York kids that have the ability to play at the highest level...to do so within the confines of SCYSA. Running to NC doesn't have to be the way you go anymore. Playing on teams that are middle of the pack at best.....doesn't have to be the way to go.

Conflicting opinions? Maybe...but one is how things are and one is for how things could be. For the here and now.....CESA offers options currently not available. Merged CLubs and aligned rec programs.....are perhaps wishful thinking.

world cup
world cup
A ringing endorsement for CESA's reach into the Rock Hill market, from a guy who has tried it in both York County (Northside) and Charlotte (Charlotte Soccer Club).

Big Daddy.....a popular Rolling Stones song is ringing in my head (No...no....no!!!)

What you say in points #1 and #2 above, I can't argue with. We have said all along that the recreation level teams need to be more organized. Right on! Also, at least one club in York County is concentrating on the lower age groups, realizing, as you have said, that this is where the attention needs to be placed. You need to develop the kids at the younger age groups if you are ever going to get them to acheive at the challenge/premier/R3PL level.

I beg to differ with point #3. The population is rapidly increasing in York County. If DSC, TC and CSC Southwest (Northside) could get on the same page....not all of the talent would be diluted. As an example, if everyone "stayed home", our area (call it York County United or whatever) could field a very competitive '93 boys team. I know you have a great deal of respect for that Bridge '93 team and I know the CESA '93 team is very good as well....but our area could compete at this age group.

I understand what you are saying, the local clubs need to get on the same page. But don't throw in the towel just yet. I'm glad CESA is offering to help and I'm glad everyone has a "choice", but we can grow this at home.

coach
coach
Hurst,
It is very difficult to get on the same page, especially if you have egos and individual interests involved, as was the case in Cola. Look how long it took NECSA/CSC to get on the same page. I ranted about a merger of some sort here for 3 years, and now my child has completed club ball, and so cannot reap any of the possible success that CUSC will attain. Your best approach there for immediate, as well long term success would be with CESA, with the resources/coaching/commitment they have to offer your kids.

S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
First, I don't think this conversation is about CESA anymore. CESA simply announced it was going to offer training in the Rock Hill area...no doubt due to demand from parents and players. CESA has offered Columbia training for years (GFC did before CESA) without it being a big deal to anyone but the kids and coaches who participated.

Okay...moving on. York County has rougly 3X less people than the Greenville, Charleston, or Columbia metropolitan areas. Thus, as you're planning in the long term how to build state championship teams, you may want to consider either (a) having a 300% greater penetration rate of youth playing soccer in the area or (b) drawing players from Charlotte.

Does that mean it can't be done? Heck yes, of course it can be done...penetration rates vary widely in different states and great programs draw from a wide radius.

S
bench
bench
S
McCESA, coming to a city near you soon!

coach
coach
I did not mean to suggest that all Rock Hill area players go to CESA or that any of the various RH clubs join with CESA, which ain't allowed anyhow! But it just depends on what you want out of your respective soccer experiences. You can have great fun and great experiences at the classic and challenge levels. But if you want the premier level-caliber experiences on a frequent basis, then you have to look further and harder. I have experienced all 3 levels and they all work, but again it comes down to choice. I will say that at least the premier level is now available and attainable in SC. I could not say that 7,8 years ago. Some progress finally in this state that moves so slow!

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Rolling Stones? Bunch of commie heathens.....

I was thinking more along the lines of Dandy Don Meredith, "turn out the lights....."

Dude, we tried. In the here and now the single Club isn't a reality in York County. If and when it is, I'm interested. But for now, CESA-RH provides an opportunity for kids like Lil' Daddy to stay home and play that doesn't exist currently.

We need to get a roomful of 15-18 leaders / difference makers from the various CLubs and rec programs and talk about where we are....and where we want to go. Maybe if there's agreement on the 30,000 foot level....you can get into the dirty details and work thru the problems associated with control, money, pride, bitterness, etc.

After that we'll more onto world hunger and peace in the middle east.

world cup
world cup
Agreed. Just make sure we include Chico when we start working on the hunger and the peace thing. ;>)

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard