Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
>>[Hurst66] I think what we are talking about here is the very tip of the top of the iceberg. If a Bridge team makes RIIIPL and puts up a -40 GD their first year, and they want to be successful the next.......yes, the answer is to merge that team with the CESA team in the same age group.<<

I couldn't agree more that we are talking about is the tip of the iceberg. And the biggest problem is that you can't have a high tip without having a really wide base. Likewise, SC can't consistently have regionally and nationally competitive teams from relatively few youth soccer players -- we need as many as we can get.

>>But we don't need to "merge" these kids from all over the state at the U-12 classic/challenge age group, do we?<<

I honestly don't know the answer to this -- specifically at what age should certain decisions be made -- because I think it's a decision players and parents have to make. If your kid eats and breathes and sleeps soccer and wants ever-increasing challenges, then you probably want her/him on the best team possible with the best players and the best trainers possible.

What I hate -- absolutely hate -- about the Rock Hill area is that South Carolina seems to be an exporter of soccer talent to North Carolina in that area (note: there are certainly exceptions -- but overall I hear about more SC kids playing in Charlotte than I do NC kids playing in SC). I was pleased to see the CESA training in Rock Hill as a way for South Carolina to possibly keep some of its best talent from being sent away -- and longer-term I'm hoping that we might start drawing more kids from North Carolina either as the result of CESA's presence, the existing clubs doing something different, or some combination thereof.

coach
coach
Hurst,
To respond to your equation, you just have to look at which state club is now the most aggressive and progressive one, and which is in the best position to develop regional/national-caliber teams. Bridge will continue to grow and develop players in the lowstate region, but I do not believe they will attract too many players from outside that region (Columbia,Midstate regions, or upstate). The new merged club in Cola.,CUSC, has to basically start over and make a determination as to what level of soccer they wish to attain. There is no doubt that, currently, CESA is the most progressive/aggressive club seeking to attain high levels of quality soccer. Just consider their offering of the College Showcase at little or no cost to the players who desire to participate. It will again be interesting to see if the best of the best players from Cola. and even the lowstate, wish to attain the highest level of club soccer offered in the state, and reap success at regionals.

world cup
world cup
BDad11,

I have marveled at that for years. Think about it. Little Sumter is the "Cradle of Coaches" in South Carolina. You can't argue with the fact that some successful coaches have come out of that town.

world cup
world cup
Chico,

There are a number of reasons why Fort Mill/Rock Hill kids choose to play in North Carolina. I have a U-14 daughter playing there now. One of the prime reasons she is there has to do with South Carolina scheduling (related to our geographical proximity to NC).

We get quality competition there at the classic (SC challenge) level without having to drive all over the place. When we were Northside (same for Discoveries and Tega Cay) we were lucky if we got one home game. All other games we went south to Greenville, Lexington or Columbia. My U-12 daughter, who does play in SCYSA, traveled three times this season to Anderson and Aiken.

In NC, we get half of our games at home, less than 15 minutes away at the Ramblewood Complex. We may have to go to Greensboro once and to Asheville once. Most of the teams are actually in Mecklenburg County (Charlotte). Also, there is only one game played per day (usually Saturday) which is nice.

S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
I understood everything you said until this part:

>>[Hurst66] NONE of this has to do with the fact that we can't get quality coaching or that we can't field quality teams in the York County area.<<

I absolutely understand that there are good and compelling reasons for SC parents and players to choose to play in NC, and I would never think of denying them the right to make that choice. That doesn't mean I have to like it -- I just respect it -- and of course I don't get a vote. If you remember, I've come down squarely on the side of soccer organizations not limiting parental choice with regard to where their child plays.

But I am honestly confused by the quoted part here -- who says you can't get quality coaching or field quality teams in the York County area?

world cup
world cup
All things being equal, I'd prefer to play in the Palmetto State. As a coach and club administrator I was a big advocate of playing SCYSA.....I still am. (But as a semi-burned out parent, I like some of the travel advantages of NC). ;>)

You are right....no one has said that. I've gone back and edited my post.

S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
Hurst66: I'm pretty sure we're in dead agreement on this SC/NC parental choice thing. I believe that as a parent, you do the best thing for your kid, regardless of theory. In theory, I'd love SC soccer to be so strong that no kid would want to play in NC or GA. In practice, SC soccer as a whole isn't that strong and the pockets of strength are sparse.

I want SC soccer to be much stronger and I want SC teams to achieve regional and national competitiveness. But I'd never sacrifice a child of mine for that objective -- I'd tell her to do the best thing for her to achieve her goals.

world cup
world cup
Right on Chico.....

Sorry, I have to jump over to anaother thread. Alemannia just knocked me off my chair!!!

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
quote:
Originally posted by Hurst66:
cabj12,

Why do teams from SC HAVE to win regionals and nationals? Hasn't it already been well documented (statistically) that South Carolina is at a disadvantage? Are our clubs and teams deemed "failures" if we don't win the big one?

I never said teams have to win at regionals but I would think that teams would like to. And no a team certainly isn't a failure whether they lose all three games or advance to the quarterfinals. CESA had plenty of teams to reach the quarters, semis, or finals and all should be proud of their achievement.

Do you think kids enjoy winning the state championship? Yeah, well then multiply that by 10 and you could imagine how exciting it would be to win regionals. I've been to regionals and I know it would be more fun to win it than get pounded by the other states. If SC clubs never merge we will still have good showings out there but I don't think we will ever win it.

But I agree that it would be a bad thing to merge clubs because for U-12 kids it probably takes away the fun of play during the season and of winning the state championship. The state championship for U-12 is like their regionals.

J
throw in
throw in
J
Hurst and others,

York County has a large contingency that would like to see nothing less than a single club. DSC and Tega Cay have had a year to figure it out, but a few personalities involved refuse to see the bigger issue, which is developing teams that will compete against the Super Club structure. The players and talent are here; maybe Lou will force the issue.

We all talk about doing what is best for "The Children" of York County, step up, step out and make your voice heard. Come on York Unified Soccer Association!!!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard