Print Thread
#62964 05/24/06 10:13 PM
R
bench
OP Offline
bench
R
Hello,
I just moved here from MN and was wondering if anyone knows of any places where there is pick-up soccer or college-age groups that run? I just finished my second year of college, and I was hoping to find others my age to run/play soccer with. If you can help me out, I'd appreciate it! My email is kmoore15@iastate.edu. Thanks!!

#62965 05/24/06 11:55 PM
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
For soccer, The Plex at the Village at Sandhills off Two Notch Road offers soccer indoors for all ages. Give them a call at 360-7300.

#62966 05/25/06 12:10 AM
coach
coach
I don't know if you have been told about the humidity coupled with the heat in Cola. in June/July/August, but it is difficult, especially coming from MN.
Here are some running and soccer websites for adults. Have Fun!
http://www.strictlyrunning.com/index8.asp
http://www.homestead.com/intersportmarketing/AdultLeague.html

#62967 05/25/06 01:30 AM
R
bench
OP Offline
bench
R
Thanks guys! I'll check out those sites!

#62968 05/25/06 02:06 AM
R
bench
OP Offline
bench
R
I should clarify...I live in Charleston. I checked out those sites...and the running one looks great, if you live in the Columbia area. Unfortunately the second one, the soccer one, hasn't been updated since 2003/04. I have looked into the Charleston Running club, but most of the runners are older than college....does anyone know of any groups at the College of Charleston? Thanks for your help!

#62969 05/25/06 03:11 AM
J
world cup
world cup
J
..might want to try facebook? (I'm assuming you're enrolled there)

#62970 05/25/06 11:55 AM
R
bench
OP Offline
bench
R
I actually go to school at Iowa State, so I havent been able to meet any C of C people.

#62971 05/28/06 03:34 AM
corner kick
corner kick
Hey,
I know Mount Pleasant Soccer Club runs Adult leagues for those of us in Charleston. They run a couple of Mens groups, level appropriate, and a Co-Ed league. I don't know when the seasons run because i haven't had time to play with them yet, but if you go to www.mpsoccer.com, they should give you more information about their adult leagues.

There's also an 'indoor' soccer place for 6v6 called CitySoccer which runs leagues and you can also reserve the field for your own games as well. It's done on fake turf and with the indoor rules.

There is also a City of Charleston adult league. Most of the teams have sponsors, some don't. I know the College of Charleston occasionally fields some teams for the league, but I haven't played with the women since fall of 2004 due to time constraints.

CofC also runs competitive club programs for soccer as well as their usual varsity, so there is a good amount of young adults in the city who will play competitively.

As for pick-up games, I don't know anything about any prospective 'set' games. I know that some people, including myself, will take a ball out to Marion Square (corner of King and Calhoun streets) and knock it around for fun, but that's as close as I can think.

You'd probably have to get in touch with other people to see about maybe setting up pick-up games or finding people who will do them. There are one or two fields downtown, but I've never seen anyone playing pick-up there. Usually it's all Ultimate players, and then there are fields in Mount Pleasant, James Island, West Ashley, and North Charleston that may have some games.

I'd say to check the other local club sites, but I think most if not all of the rest are considered Youth clubs only. Mount Pleasant is working with the Rec Dept, so they have the added benefit of those resources on top of their Youth programs.

As for running...I can't think of any real running options that are popular with the students here. I'm not even sure we have a track team (okay yeah, I'm a really sad CofC student...don't rub it in). I know friends who will go running up the Ravenel for fun now, but not of any young adult groups...unless you count the El Cid cadets whose only escape is to go running, but they're out of class now.

Like somebody said though, summers here are brutal when it comes to the heat and humidity together, so anything you find will probably be restricted to the evenings (soccer), or evenings or mornings (running). Doing extensive workouts in the midst of the day's heat is pretty much asking for a coronary. Even doing stuff at around 4.30 or 5 can be incredibly painful; I remember one day the local health advisory was to stay inside and not do any physical exertion outside...and we still were out doing running on the Town Hall track in Mt. P while we trained for Norway. At least 2 or 3 girls got pretty sick during it.

If there's anything else I can help with, feel free to ask and welcome to the area.

#62972 05/28/06 12:12 PM
brace
brace
Wow, the soccer and running folk are making SC sound like a place where the weather runs everyone underground from Memorial Day until Labor Day! I always thought soccer players and runners were quite tough. I have been cycling in SC for over 20 years, and we ride 40+ miles hard 3 times a week (M-F) and 60-100 miles each day on the weekend. Yes—even during the summer. I guess I need to re-evaluate my opnion of soccer players and runners. . . [Smile]

#62973 05/28/06 12:13 PM
brace
brace
Oops—"opinion"—I guess I was dazed by the heat. . .

Link Copied to Clipboard