Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
202677 Offline OP
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
Did anyone else know about this kind of stuff going on? [Confused] Did this pass?

Notes from the SRA

First, let me say that I am not a lobbyist in any way, and that appearing before any Legislative body is the right of each individual.

On Wednesday, March 1, 2006, I had the pleasure to address the South Carolina Senate Judiciary Sub-Committee (Chairman Senator Hutto, and members Senator Jackson, Senator Bryant, & Senator Knotts) concerning the “South Carolina Sports Officials and Coaches Protection Act”, a bill intended to make it unlawful to commit an assault and battery upon a sports official or coach during and after an athletic contest, and to provide penalties for violations.

For a first offense, when no weapon is used, the punishment will be up to one year in prison and/or a fine up to $5,000 will be imposed.

A repeat offense will result in up to five years in prison and/or a fine up to $7,500.

Obviously, when a weapon is used, stiffer punishments will be in order.

In my brief testimony, after introducing myself and giving a short history, I stated that there is a rising tide of violence in all sports, including soccer in all of its forms (USSF, High School, Indoor, etc), and all-too-often much of that violence is aimed at sports officials. I stated that I believed that the pending legislation might well provide a great deal of assistance to sports officials by its mere existence – that publicizing the possible penalties for assaulting soccer officials would have a prophylactic effect on individuals contemplating taking out their aggression against the officials at a match. A previous speaker had already stated that is difficult to find people to officiate at athletic contests, and I certainly agreed with that.

In addition, I noted the coincidence of the Sub-Committee meeting happening at 11:00 am of the same day that a USSF Referee Assault Hearing was scheduled at 7:00 pm.

Immediately after my statement, the Sub-Committee voted unanimously in favor, and sent the bill to the full Judiciary Committee. That meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 3:00 pm. I will be there for the full Committee meeting.

Fred Bieber

fbieber@usit.net
SC Sports Officials Protection Act

corner kick
corner kick
I am kind of under the impression that it was ALWAYS unlawful to committ assualt and battery upon anyone....maybe unless your are on Jerry Springer.

Goal
Goal
Same here

So what's the fine for the officials if they are utterly terrible, show up late to games, don't show at all, act like they're the show when they look like a pedophile, tell off a coach, tell off a player, tell off a parent, etc?

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
shut^&play...you took the words right from my fingers...

World Cup
World Cup
quote:
a bill intended to make it unlawful to commit an assault and battery upon a sports official or coach during and after an athletic contest, and to provide penalties for violations.
Why should coaches and officials be any different than "John Q. Public Citizen"? I just don't see the need for the separation. If a crime is committed, then there are laws already in place to deal with those actions. It amazes me about what the Legislature gets tied up with during their session when other important issues need to be addressed.

Goal
Goal
Leave it to Beaver (pun intended) to push that legislation. In a lot of people's eyes he's the worst of them all and apparently he heads the officials? JEESH

Link Copied to Clipboard