Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
world cup
world cup
Are the U-14 Girls a cause for alarm? Are we progressing in that age group? CESA goes 0-3 at regionals and I heard the SC ODP 92 Girls got beat 9-0 yesterday by North Texas at ODP regionals in Alabama.

What's up with this age group? I know that there are some talented players at Mt. Pleasant, CESA, CUFC, Orange Crush and a few on teams in Charlotte.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
As I mentioned in previous posts,

1) The ODP program has to be restructured with new personnel and curriculum
2) People like Mary Bynum and other administrators can not be making soccer decisons at all.
3) The player pools from the state have to be playing together year round, from a young age, with top coaches. Bottom line! There are not enough good players.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
1) Are we moving toward achieving more regional finalists and champions faster than the other states or are we falling further and further behind?

Response: Very slowly forward but with a limit. Individual clubs are doing great, like CESA and in time Bridge FA. However, they need competition from the entire state not just every fourth match every two weeks. Even Premier League is 10-12 matches, over months, which in the development picture isn't enough.

2) What I saw yesterday before I left Little Rock was a SC team that played the #1 ranked nationally ranked team.

Response: Soccer is soccer. A SC will play well here and there against the best. We need day in and day out teams and, more importantly, players competing like this.

3) On the other hand, I read your post and wonder what your agenda must be to disregard the improvement that SC appears to be making.

Response: By no means am I disregarding SC soccer, I live here, coach here, recognize attempts (like CESA, Bridge) and want to help as much as anyone get kids the opportunities some kids are getting in top states/regions.

4) So, taking your "argument" at face value -- and I agree with your premise that SC wasn't good enough in June to be in the national pool and has never been with only a few incredibly rare exceptions -- what is your prescription for improving the performance of SC in future "June's"?

Response: My prescription is to have 1) a committee of top soccer coaches (club, college) to 2) appoint a full-time DOC and then 3) serve as his technical group and work closely in making all soccer/development decisions like league formation, training environments/curriculum and, of course ODP restructuring.

In addition, I believe the ODP pools, in this state, should be year round teams that play under a club (or maybe a SCYSA-formed Columbia club just for that matter) and play Premier League and/or US Club. Does the mean seperating and catering to the elite? YES. Decisions for the majority doesn't develop the minority, the best! You can still have SCYSA leagues for the other clubs/teams and they'll only play one another in State Cup. If the elite teams win, then it should (CESA is now almost doing that). If the elite teams don't win then things are advancing maybe. But this way the best players are guaranteed to play and train together with top coaches.

The most important thing is the top players train, at least, 3 times a week in Columbia (central location) and move around on weekends when there's not matches. With so few top, top players, they need to be in the same environment constantly.

I know this all seems drastic and different, and there's probably a better chance of seeing SCYSA brass juggling 3 times, but it's needed. Get rid of administrators making soccer decisions and allow that to the best soccer people. South Carolina needs thorough and wholesale change!

world cup
world cup
Beezer,

I've read all of your posts and I'm familiar with what you say above. I'm looking for some insight regarding this specific age group.

Sounds like you would be in favor of running Super Y teams out of the Columbia area that would be comprised of the best club players in each age group. Good idea allthough there still may be some time & money constraints facing players & parents.

S
coach
coach
S
A note on the difficulty of creating stand-alone Super-Y programs these days. In the olden days (2 years ago) it was pretty easy to do this. Now, there are more clubs and teams affiliated with USCS and increasingly the more ambitious/dedicated teams are gearing up for the Super Y regional/national tournament structure if they can't get in the USYSA regional/national tournament structure [due to not winning a state championship or winning RIIIPL-East or not being selected as a wildcard for RIIIPL].

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
ALL age groups, both genders! It's ignorant for clubs and coaches in South Carolina to think with the "we have it all" mentality.

Men and women, the player pools ARE NOT deep enough to compete CONSISTENTLY and top players have to be together all the time.

A random example here and there doesn't equal improvement and consistency.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Will it happen? No, because that would effect results and income for DOCs.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
OUCH!! You hit the nail on the head there..The almighty dollar

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
I'd like to see a Super-Y team in the Midlands area for summer play -- much like the AAU baseball and basketball teams.

What is the process to get this done? This could be a great tool for summer exposure.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
quote:
Originally posted by who_me?:
Cab..why do you think that happens?

Well the other states have bigger populations in their big cities which means they have a better chance to find more very talented players. For example Dallas might have 10 great players in an age group out of 500 kids while Greenville will only have 2 great players in an age group out of 150.

And it is easier for kids to be seen by college coaches when they are on very good teams giving them a better chance to sign with top colleges.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard