Print Thread
#63413 04/02/02 01:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where does the MLS rank as far as world pro leagues would be considered? I think it cannot be much above English 2nd Division at best (behind Premiership, 1st Division). The MLS teams regularly get beat by A-League and D3 teams, whereas you don't see too many EPL teams getting popped by 2nd/3rd Division teams.

#63414 04/03/02 04:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Right now the EPL, Primera, Serie A, Budesliga, Eredivisie, and French League are all better than MLS, but keep in mind they've all been around for like a hundred years. MLS is probably now better than the Mexican League, and is probably on par with the Brazilian and Argentine leagues. Most of the time MLS teams get bounced my minor leaguers because they rest their good players those games. And EPL teams get bounced by lesser squads more often than you might think.

#63415 04/03/02 01:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have to disagree. I watch Brazilian and Argentine games on a regular basis, and the MLS to me does not play at the same level, especially w/Brazil(Vasco, Flamengo, Sao Paulo, Corinthians, etc). I hate to say this, but if I were able to play at the highest level, I'd have to leave the U.S., and head to Europe. The Premier League and Serie A to me are the top leagues, w/the Bundesliga next.

[Big Grin]

#63416 04/03/02 02:10 PM
Goal
Goal
Based on the Champions League, the rankings would be this order in accordance to the number of teams left in the Quarterfinals:

Primera Liga (3) -- Barcelona, Deportiva la Coruna, Real Madrid

Bundesliga (2) -- Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich

English Premier League (2) -- Liverpool, Manchester United

Greece (1) -- Panathinaikos

According to the CNN/SI Top 10 World Clubs Poll:

England (3) -- #4 Manchester United, #5 Liverpool, #6 Arsenal

Germany (2) -- #2 Bayer Leverkusen, #7 Bayern Munich

Italy (2) -- #3 Inter Milan, #9 AS Roma

Spain (2) -- #1 Real Madrid, #8 Deportiva la Coruna

Argentina (1) -- #10 River Plate

#63417 04/04/02 05:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay, saying MLS was close to the Argentine league may have been pushing it, but MLS is still better than the Brazilian League. Remember a couple years ago when DC United beat Vasco de Gama? Well now all of MLS is playing at a much higher level than United did then, while the Brazilian league is mired in beaurocratic trouble and is unable to keep their own players in the league.

#63418 04/29/02 11:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The brazilian league is in trouble financially. The national team is also in trouble. The brazilian magic is gone. They are not the top dawg this year. They need to find some more talent somewhere. I dont think that the MLS is as good as Argentina yet. Close, but not yet. Different style of play anyway. We will get there soon.

Link Copied to Clipboard