Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
This match will be televised live from Glasgow, Scotland on ESPN2 beginning at 2:30 p.m. The weather should be perfect as at 12:00 noon (EDT) it's 62-degrees and partly cloudy at Hampden Park.

This will be the 47th European Cup Final and the third held at Hampden Park -- but the first at that site in 26 years. Real Madrid leads the series with Bayer Leverkusen 3-0-1 ('98, 1-1 & 3-0); ('00, 3-2 & 5-3).

Real Madrid has lifted the European Cup Championship eight times ('56-'57-'58-'59-'60-'66-'98-'00), while Bayer Leverkusen has never won the title. However, BL is the fourth German finalist in the last six seasons, but RM is Spain's fifth finalist in the past five years -- including their third trip.

Luis Figo (Portugal) and Zinedine Zidane (France) lead Real Madrid, while Michael Ballack (Germany) will head up the Bayer Leverkusen squad. Ballack will be featuring in his final match with BL as he will move to Bayern Munich next season.

Both teams lost their domestic cup finals and domestic league titles. Leverkusen is the second smallest city to produce a European Cup finalist with a population of only 165,000.

Bayer Leverkusen finished second in the Bundesliga with a 21-7-6 record (W-L-T), while Real Madrid completed its' Primera season with a 19-10-9 mark and third-place finish.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Great match!!!

Real Madrid won 2-1 as all three scores were in the first half.

Great ending as Bayer Leverkusen pushed everyone into the final 1/3 of the field for the equalizer, but though they came close, Real Madrid hung on for European glory!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
bloody hell, stupid VCR wouldnt work [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] ...and congrats to all the Real fans, players and coaches...

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
El Hombre -- let me know if you want a copy of the match (a buddy of mine taped it for me while I was at work).

Anyway, we could work something out if you want to send me an e-mail at kyle@scsoccer.com .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
nah thats alright, one of my friends taped it too, so i'll borrow it to watch Zidane's goal, (i hear it was a beaut) but i probably wont watch the whole thing anyways cuz i hate watching games when i already know who won (except when Liverpool play, of course)

Brace
Brace
Zidane's goal was one of the best pure skill goals I have ever seen. Those of you who have seen it should agree and those of you who haven't- get a copy of the game from Kyle.

It was an absolute cracker of a goal! Tommy Smyth said, "with that goal, Zidane repaid most of the money Real paid to get him." FYI- Zidane is the world's most expensive player!

Link Copied to Clipboard