Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Foxboro, Mass. --

The Netherlands got a "soft" goal from Roy Makaay in the 45th minute, but had some other near chances turned away by goalkeeper Brad Friedel and the U.S. back line.

The U.S. had several opportunites themselves, but the Dutch goalkeeper Ronald Waterraus turned away those shots.

Gregg Berhalter subbed for Jeff Agoos in the 41st minute in what appeared to be calf cramps for the longtime U.S. defender. Kasey Keller is set to take over the netminder duties in the second half.

Japp Stam picked up the first half's only caution in the 16th minute.

Brace
Brace
Holy cow, what a great pitch. A lot better than that crap they played on against Jamaica. I am also encouraged by the attendance. The lower bowl seems full and the endzone seats seem to have a lot of people there too.

I really credit owners like Robert Kraft and Lamar Hunt for their contributions to US Soccer. CMGI field will be the home for both the Patriots and the Revolution. From what I can see, Mr. Kraft made sure the field could accomondate soccer (field dimensions- 113 x 75) as well as football. Lamar Hunt owns the Wizards, and the Crew too I believe, and his name graces the Open Cup trophy.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Jason, excellent observations!

Good match (Netherlands 2, USA 0) -- the Dutch goalkeeper was outstanding!

Two soft goals by the U.S. -- these can be easily corrected, but it's that type of a mental lapse that can end your World Cup in "group play".

I just heard that the U.S. will probably play an African nation in Korea to prepare for the closed roof environment of a couple of their matches.

Should be a great month of June!

Link Copied to Clipboard