Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow!!!

World Cup
World Cup
Pape Bouba Diop -- who is 6-4, 190 pounds -- swept a pass from El Hadji Diour past French goalkeeper Fabien Barthez in the 29th minute to give Senegal a shocking 1-0 halftime advantage over the defending World Cup Champions.

At intermission, Senegal -- making its first appearance ever in the World Cup -- has outshot France 5-3, but all three Les Bleus shots were on goal, while just two shots for Senegal were actually on frame.

A telling statistic is that France has been pulled offsides seven times in the first half, so the front duo of David Trezeguet and Thierry Henry, as well as the attacking midfield presence of Sylvain Wiltord and Yourk Djorkaeff will need to make that adjustment in the second stanza to pull out at least a draw.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Senegal is taking it to France. Not only are they up 1-0 with thirty minutes left to play they are outnumbering there shots 10 to 3 right now.

World Cup
World Cup
SHOCK RESULT -- SENEGAL 1, FRANCE 0

In a stunning upset that probably is only rivaled by Argentina's defeat by Cameroon at Italia 1990, Senegal's first half goal stood up to knock off the defending World Cup Champions France 1-0 in Seoul, Korea.

Uruguay and Denmark will play tomorrow in Ulsan, Korea tomorrow at 5:00 a.m. to round out Group A play.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Friday, May 31, 2002

Lemerre: We need two wins now

France coach Roger Lemerre praised Senegal's defence and organisation after the World Cup holders suffered a shock 1-0 defeat to the African debutants.

Senegal's players dance with joy after Pape Bouba Diop's goal
(Reuters)

But he said France need to win their two remaining Group A games - against Uruguay and Denmark - to reach the knock-out stages.

And he accepted his side had not made the most of their chances, unlike Senegal, who clinched their surprise win with a first-half strike from Pape Bouba Diop.

'They were well-organised with a five-man midfield. When a team are well-grouped together, you need speed and spontaneity,' said Lemerre.

'We were not able to cut through their defensive net. They had one counter-attack and they scored. That's football but we would have liked a happier start.

'In this kind of match, when a team know what they have to do, it's hard. They did not miss the target.

'It's hard on us but it's up to us to deal better with that type of situation.

'Nothing is ruined, there are two more games to play. If by chance we won those two matches, we'd be in the round of 16.'

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Size & SPEED kill! France had no answer for the counter.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Along with anyone else who was up at 7:30 to catch this match, I was pleased by what I saw. Senegal played with a lot of heart, and along with a little luck from the goal posts, pulled out the victory. France was unlucky not to get at least a draw from this match, but hopefully with the addition of Zidane (whenever he is healthy) they will be able to salvage 3 points and advance to the round of 16. However, I'm not taking anything away from Senegal, they played a very disciplined game, and got a favorable result.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Excuse me, I meant to say that hopefully France will be able to get 3 points in each of their remaining matches.

Link Copied to Clipboard